    curious what is the tradition in this particular case.
    Thanks
    Dean

    hou, Feb 27, 2005

  2. On 2005-02-27, hou <> wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    > I am new to Perl and I am looking for some nice and
    > free IDE? I've found that Eclipse is a quite nice
    > tool for Java developers.

    If you like eclipse, you can try:
    http://e-p-i-c.sourceforge.net/

    which basically sets up a perl mode in eclipse.

    --
    Todd de Gruyl

    Todd de Gruyl, Feb 27, 2005

  3. hou

    Juha Laiho Guest

    hou <> said:
    >I am new to Perl and I am looking for some nice and free IDE? I've
    >found that Eclipse is a quite nice tool for Java developers. I
    >wonder if there's a equvalent one for Perl programmers. I have read
    >some threads talking about the Emacs V.S. Vi. I wonder that is it a
    >tradition perl programmers don't use IDE? No offend, every language has
    >its own way to do thing, just curious what is the tradition in this
    >particular case.

    I'd say perl is not so hard on the developer as Java is -- and thus
    the tools needed with perl are much more lightweight than those
    needed with Java. Contrasts:
    - perl has no separate compilation phase
    - with perl there (usually) is less hassle with finding classes (Java
    classloader issues can be a pain)
    - in perl, class/method names tend to be shorter, thus giving less to gain
    from auto-completion

    So, the mostly needed support tool is another window to use for reading
    perldoc documentation. These from my point of view, but then, I'm more
    accustomed to perl than to Java.
    --
    Wolf a.k.a. Juha Laiho Espoo, Finland

    Juha Laiho, Feb 27, 2005
  4. hou

    Lord0 Guest

    Lord0, Feb 28, 2005
  5. hou

    JayEs Guest

    > No
    > offend, every language has its own way to do thing, just
    > curious what is the tradition in this particular case.
    > Thanks
    > Dean

    Tradition, Shmadition! I use OpenPerl to edit Perl code. Although I've had
    some issues where my script seemed to hang in the IDE but worked fine when
    invoked on a prompt, I've always liked the simplicity of OpenPerl while
    still providing some basic debugging tools like breakpoints and
    "step-through". Also the "watches" you can set and the debug-window are
    quite nice. It reminds me a lot of the VB6 IDE which I know, trust and
    love...

    Just my 2 monetary units of varying worth depending upon currency.

    JayEs, Mar 1, 2005