newbie: Perl IDE available??

hou

Hi everyone,
I am new to Perl and I am looking for some nice and
free IDE? I've found that Eclipse is a quite nice
tool for Java developers. I wonder if there's a
equvalent one for Perl programmers. I have read some
threads talking about the Emacs V.S. Vi. I wonder that
is it a tradition perl programmers don't use IDE? No
offend, every language has its own way to do thing, just
curious what is the tradition in this particular case.
Thanks
Dean

Juha Laiho

hou said:
I am new to Perl and I am looking for some nice and free IDE? I've
found that Eclipse is a quite nice tool for Java developers. I
wonder if there's a equvalent one for Perl programmers. I have read
some threads talking about the Emacs V.S. Vi. I wonder that is it a
tradition perl programmers don't use IDE? No offend, every language has
its own way to do thing, just curious what is the tradition in this
particular case.

I'd say perl is not so hard on the developer as Java is -- and thus
the tools needed with perl are much more lightweight than those
needed with Java. Contrasts:
- perl has no separate compilation phase
- with perl there (usually) is less hassle with finding classes (Java
classloader issues can be a pain)
- in perl, class/method names tend to be shorter, thus giving less to gain
from auto-completion

So, the mostly needed support tool is another window to use for reading
perldoc documentation. These from my point of view, but then, I'm more
accustomed to perl than to Java.

JayEs

No
offend, every language has its own way to do thing, just
curious what is the tradition in this particular case.
Thanks
Dean

Tradition, Shmadition! I use OpenPerl to edit Perl code. Although I've had
some issues where my script seemed to hang in the IDE but worked fine when
invoked on a prompt, I've always liked the simplicity of OpenPerl while
still providing some basic debugging tools like breakpoints and
"step-through". Also the "watches" you can set and the debug-window are
quite nice. It reminds me a lot of the VB6 IDE which I know, trust and
love...

Just my 2 monetary units of varying worth depending upon currency.