Newbie problem with Profiles

Discussion in '.NET' started by Jaimie, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. Jaimie

    Jaimie

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,

    I have just started using asp.net and found out about profiles. I have SQL 2005 installed so ran aspnet_regsql.exe to install the aspnetdb database (which worked fine). Then I added the following code to my web.config file:

    <connectionStrings>
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
    <add name="LocalSqlServer"
    connectionString="Data Source=JAIMIEDB\\DEVELOPMENT;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=SSPI" />
    </connectionStrings>

    <profile defaultProvider="MyProfileProvider">
    <properties>
    <add name="FirstName" />
    </properties>

    <providers>
    <clear/>
    <add name="MyProfileProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"
    applicationName="/WebSite1"
    type="System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
    </providers>

    This all seemed to work ok but when I try to reference a profile property such as FirstName I get the following error:
    InvalidOperationException was handled by user code
    Instance failure

    Have had a quick google check to see what that error means but didnt come up with much, so any help anyone has on this would be really appreciated :)
    Jaimie, Jun 26, 2006