Newbie: Problems with a CPAN installation

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Francesco Moi, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Hello.

    I'm trying to install 'LWP:Simple' module on my Linux machine.

    # perl -MCPAN -e shell
    cpan> install LWP:Simple
    Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    Warning: Cannot install LWP:Simple, don't know what it is.
    Try the command
    i /LWP:Simple/
    to find objects with similar identifiers.

    I don't have any idea about this error. Any suggestion?

    On the other hand, I would like to install this module manually
    (by using tar.gz, make, make install ...), but I don't find
    the sources of 'LWP:Simple' (lwp-simple.tar.gz or something
    similar).

    I would be extremely obliged of anybody could help me. Thank you
    very much.

    Francesco Moi, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Francesco Moi

    Sisyphus Guest

    "Francesco Moi" <> wrote in message

    > On the other hand, I would like to install this module manually
    > (by using tar.gz, make, make install ...), but I don't find
    > the sources of 'LWP:Simple' (lwp-simple.tar.gz or something
    > similar).

    It, and other LWP modules, are part of libwww-perl.

    http://search.cpan.org/author/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.69/

    Cheers,
    Rob

    Sisyphus, Jul 25, 2003

  3. On 25 Jul 2003 01:52:03 -0700
    (Francesco Moi) wrote:

    > Hello.
    >
    > I'm trying to install 'LWP:Simple' module on my Linux machine.
    >
    > # perl -MCPAN -e shell
    > cpan> install LWP:Simple
    > Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    > Warning: Cannot install LWP:Simple, don't know what it is.
    > Try the command
    > i /LWP:Simple/
    > to find objects with similar identifiers.
    >
    > I don't have any idea about this error. Any suggestion?

    Try with "install LWP::Simple" instead. That should be with two colons,
    not one.

    Olof

    Olof Karlberg, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Francesco Moi

    pkent Guest

    In article <>,
    (Francesco Moi) wrote:

    > I'm trying to install 'LWP:Simple' module on my Linux machine.
    >
    > # perl -MCPAN -e shell
    > cpan> install LWP:Simple
    > Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    > Warning: Cannot install LWP:Simple, don't know what it is.

    The module is actually called 'LWP::Simple' - download the whole
    distribution from:
    http://search.cpan.org/author/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.69/

    Remove the tea to reply

    pkent, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Francesco Moi

    Jim Britain Guest

    wrote:

    >Hello.
    >
    >I'm trying to install 'LWP:Simple' module on my Linux machine.
    >
    ># perl -MCPAN -e shell
    >cpan> install LWP:Simple
    >Going to read /root/.cpan/sources/modules/03modlist.data.gz
    >Warning: Cannot install LWP:Simple, don't know what it is.
    >Try the command
    > i /LWP:Simple/
    >to find objects with similar identifiers.
    >
    >I don't have any idea about this error. Any suggestion?

    A couple things.

    1. Between a module name and it's components, there's two colons, not
    one as you used above.

    2. Google is your friend.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=LWP Simple

    And it would have caught the small mistake that became a roadblock.

    Jim Britain, Jul 26, 2003