[newbie] Python and Qt4 Designer

Discussion in 'Python' started by Jean Dubois, Jul 11, 2012.

  1. Jean Dubois

    Jean Dubois Guest

    I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    python statements like
    file = open("test","w")
    Can anyone tell me what I have to add to the following code just to
    open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    clicking on the save button.

    #!/usr/bin/env python
    # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

    # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    #
    # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    # by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    #
    # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!

    from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

    try:
    _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    except AttributeError:
    _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s

    class Ui_Form(object):
    def setupUi(self, Form):
    Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("Form"))
    Form.resize(400, 300)
    self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("widget"))
    self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)

    self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("horizontalLayout"))
    self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton_2"))
    self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton"))
    self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)

    self.retranslateUi(Form)
    QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)

    def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    "Form", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    "Save file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    "Load file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))


    if __name__ == "__main__":
    import sys
    app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    ui = Ui_Form()
    ui.setupUi(Form)
    Form.show()
    sys.exit(app.exec_())


    thanks in advance
    jean
     
    Jean Dubois, Jul 11, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On 11/07/12 17:37, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    > python statements like
    > file = open("test","w")
    > Can anyone tell me what I have to add to the following code just to
    > open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    > clicking on the save button.
    >
    > #!/usr/bin/env python
    > # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    >
    > # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    > #
    > # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    > # by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    > #
    > # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!
    >
    > from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
    >
    > try:
    > _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    > except AttributeError:
    > _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s
    >
    > class Ui_Form(object):
    > def setupUi(self, Form):
    > Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("Form"))
    > Form.resize(400, 300)
    > self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    > self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    > self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("widget"))
    > self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    > self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)
    >
    > self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("horizontalLayout"))
    > self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton_2"))
    > self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    > self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton"))
    > self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)
    >
    > self.retranslateUi(Form)
    > QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)
    >
    > def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    > Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > "Form", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > "Save file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > "Load file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    >
    >
    > if __name__ == "__main__":
    > import sys
    > app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    > Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    > ui = Ui_Form()
    > ui.setupUi(Form)
    > Form.show()
    > sys.exit(app.exec_())
    >
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > jean

    Connect the signal clicked of your's buttons to your's functions.

    self.pushButton.clicked.connect(self.my_func)

    Here's all the truth:

    http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/new_style_signals_slots.html

    --
    Vincent V.V.
    Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy> . Qarte+7
    <https://launchpad.net/qarte+7> . PaQager <https://launchpad.net/paqager>
     
    Vincent Vande Vyvre, Jul 12, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jean Dubois

    Jean Dubois Guest

    Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 12 jul, 02:59, Vincent Vande Vyvre <>
    wrote:
    > On 11/07/12 17:37, Jean Dubois wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    > > python statements like
    > > file = open("test","w")
    > > Can anyone tell me what I have to  add to the following code just to
    > > open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    > > clicking on the save button.

    >
    > > #!/usr/bin/env python
    > > # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

    >
    > > # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    > > #
    > > # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    > > #      by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    > > #
    > > # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!

    >
    > > from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui

    >
    > > try:
    > >     _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    > > except AttributeError:
    > >     _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s

    >
    > > class Ui_Form(object):
    > >     def setupUi(self, Form):
    > >         Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("Form"))
    > >         Form.resize(400, 300)
    > >         self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    > >         self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    > >         self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("widget"))
    > >         self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    > >         self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)

    >
    > > self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("horizontalLayout"))
    > >         self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > >         self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton_2"))
    > >         self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    > >         self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > >         self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton"))
    > >         self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)

    >
    > >         self.retranslateUi(Form)
    > >         QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)

    >
    > >     def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    > >         Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > > "Form", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > >         self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > > "Save file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > >         self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    > > "Load file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))

    >
    > > if __name__ == "__main__":
    > >     import sys
    > >     app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    > >     Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    > >     ui = Ui_Form()
    > >     ui.setupUi(Form)
    > >     Form.show()
    > >     sys.exit(app.exec_())

    >
    > > thanks in advance
    > > jean

    >
    > Connect the signal clicked of your's buttons to your's functions.
    >
    >     self.pushButton.clicked.connect(self.my_func)
    >
    > Here's all the truth:
    >
    > http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/new_style_...
    >
    > --
    > Vincent V.V.
    > Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy> . Qarte+7
    > <https://launchpad.net/qarte+7> . PaQager <https://launchpad.net/paqager>


    thanks for the reference, could you just supply a small example for
    the code above to get me started?

    thanks in advance
    jean
     
    Jean Dubois, Jul 12, 2012
    #3
  4. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 12/07/12 08:42, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > On 12 jul, 02:59, Vincent Vande Vyvre <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 11/07/12 17:37, Jean Dubois wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    >>> python statements like
    >>> file = open("test","w")
    >>> Can anyone tell me what I have to add to the following code just to
    >>> open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    >>> clicking on the save button.
    >>> #!/usr/bin/env python
    >>> # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    >>> # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    >>> #
    >>> # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    >>> # by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    >>> #
    >>> # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!
    >>> from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
    >>> try:
    >>> _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    >>> except AttributeError:
    >>> _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s
    >>> class Ui_Form(object):
    >>> def setupUi(self, Form):
    >>> Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("Form"))
    >>> Form.resize(400, 300)
    >>> self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    >>> self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    >>> self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("widget"))
    >>> self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    >>> self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)
    >>> self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("horizontalLayout"))
    >>> self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    >>> self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton_2"))
    >>> self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    >>> self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    >>> self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8("pushButton"))
    >>> self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)
    >>> self.retranslateUi(Form)
    >>> QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)
    >>> def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    >>> Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    >>> "Form", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    >>> self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    >>> "Save file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    >>> self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate("Form",
    >>> "Load file", None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    >>> if __name__ == "__main__":
    >>> import sys
    >>> app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    >>> Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    >>> ui = Ui_Form()
    >>> ui.setupUi(Form)
    >>> Form.show()
    >>> sys.exit(app.exec_())
    >>> thanks in advance
    >>> jean

    >> Connect the signal clicked of your's buttons to your's functions.
    >>
    >> self.pushButton.clicked.connect(self.my_func)
    >>
    >> Here's all the truth:
    >>
    >> http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/new_style_...
    >>
    >> --
    >> Vincent V.V.
    >> Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy> . Qarte+7
    >> <https://launchpad.net/qarte+7> . PaQager <https://launchpad.net/paqager>

    > thanks for the reference, could you just supply a small example for
    > the code above to get me started?
    >
    > thanks in advance
    > jean

    Just add the connection at the end of the Ui_Form class and, of course,
    your function.

    You can find numbers of examples in your PyQt4 install folder.
    On my machine is located at /usr/share/doc/python-qt4-doc/examples

    And, for more inspiration, have a look at this site:
    http://diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/

    --
    Vincent V.V.
    Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy> . Qarte
    <https://launchpad.net/qarte> . PaQager <https://launchpad.net/paqager>
     
    Vincent Vande Vyvre, Jul 13, 2012
    #4
  5. Jean Dubois

    Jean Dubois Guest

    Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    Op vrijdag 13 juli 2012 03:52:51 UTC+2 schreef Vincent Vande Vyvre het volgende:
    > On 12/07/12 08:42, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > &gt; On 12 jul, 02:59, Vincent Vande Vyvre &lt;&gt;
    > &gt; wrote:
    > &gt;&gt; On 11/07/12 17:37, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; python statements like
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; file = open(&quot;test&quot;,&quot;w&quot;)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Can anyone tell me what I have to add to the following code just to
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; clicking on the save button.
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #!/usr/bin/env python
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; try:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; except AttributeError:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; class Ui_Form(object):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; def setupUi(self, Form):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;Form&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.resize(400, 300)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;widget&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;horizontalLayout&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;pushButton_2&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;pushButton&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.retranslateUi(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Form&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Save file&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Load file&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; if __name__ == &quot;__main__&quot;:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; import sys
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; ui = Ui_Form()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; ui.setupUi(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.show()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; sys.exit(app.exec_())
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; thanks in advance
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; jean
    > &gt;&gt; Connect the signal clicked of your's buttons to your's functions.
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; self.pushButton.clicked.connect(self.my_func)
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; Here's all the truth:
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/new_style_...
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; --
    > &gt;&gt; Vincent V.V.
    > &gt;&gt; Oqapy &lt;https://launchpad.net/oqapy&gt; . Qarte+7
    > &gt;&gt; &lt;https://launchpad.net/qarte 7&gt; . PaQager &lt;https://launchpad.net/paqager&gt;
    > &gt; thanks for the reference, could you just supply a small example for
    > &gt; the code above to get me started?
    > &gt;
    > &gt; thanks in advance
    > &gt; jean
    > Just add the connection at the end of the Ui_Form class and, of course,
    > your function.
    >
    > You can find numbers of examples in your PyQt4 install folder.
    > On my machine is located at /usr/share/doc/python-qt4-doc/examples
    >
    > And, for more inspiration, have a look at this site:
    > http://diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/
    >
    > --
    > Vincent V.V.
    > Oqapy &lt;https://launchpad.net/oqapy&gt; . Qarte
    > &lt;https://launchpad.net/qarte&gt; . PaQager &lt;https://launchpad.net/paqager&gt;


    Thanks for the extra docu references

    regards,

    jean
     
    Jean Dubois, Jul 13, 2012
    #5
  6. Jean Dubois

    Jean Dubois Guest

    Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    Op vrijdag 13 juli 2012 03:52:51 UTC+2 schreef Vincent Vande Vyvre het volgende:
    > On 12/07/12 08:42, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > &gt; On 12 jul, 02:59, Vincent Vande Vyvre &lt;&gt;
    > &gt; wrote:
    > &gt;&gt; On 11/07/12 17:37, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; I'm trying to combine python-code made with QT4 designer with plain
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; python statements like
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; file = open(&quot;test&quot;,&quot;w&quot;)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Can anyone tell me what I have to add to the following code just to
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; open a file when clicking on the load-button and closing it by
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; clicking on the save button.
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #!/usr/bin/env python
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # -*- coding: utf-8 -*-
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # Form implementation generated from reading ui file 'test.ui'
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # Created: Wed Jul 11 17:21:35 2012
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # by: PyQt4 UI code generator 4.8.3
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; #
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; # WARNING! All changes made in this file will be lost!
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; from PyQt4 import QtCore, QtGui
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; try:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; _fromUtf8 = QtCore.QString.fromUtf8
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; except AttributeError:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; _fromUtf8 = lambda s: s
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; class Ui_Form(object):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; def setupUi(self, Form):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;Form&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.resize(400, 300)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget = QtGui.QWidget(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget.setGeometry(QtCore.QRect(10, 20, 146, 25))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.widget.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;widget&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout = QtGui.QHBoxLayout(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.setMargin(0)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;horizontalLayout&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2 = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;pushButton_2&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton_2)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton = QtGui.QPushButton(self.widget)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton.setObjectName(_fromUtf8(&quot;pushButton&quot;))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.horizontalLayout.addWidget(self.pushButton)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.retranslateUi(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; QtCore.QMetaObject.connectSlotsByName(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; def retranslateUi(self, Form):
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.setWindowTitle(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Form&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton_2.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Save file&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; self.pushButton.setText(QtGui.QApplication.translate(&quot;Form&quot;,
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Load file&quot;, None, QtGui.QApplication.UnicodeUTF8))
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; if __name__ == &quot;__main__&quot;:
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; import sys
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form = QtGui.QWidget()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; ui = Ui_Form()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; ui.setupUi(Form)
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; Form.show()
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; sys.exit(app.exec_())
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; thanks in advance
    > &gt;&gt;&gt; jean
    > &gt;&gt; Connect the signal clicked of your's buttons to your's functions.
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; self.pushButton.clicked.connect(self.my_func)
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; Here's all the truth:
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/static/Docs/PyQt4/html/new_style_...
    > &gt;&gt;
    > &gt;&gt; --
    > &gt;&gt; Vincent V.V.
    > &gt;&gt; Oqapy &lt;https://launchpad.net/oqapy&gt; . Qarte+7
    > &gt;&gt; &lt;https://launchpad.net/qarte 7&gt; . PaQager &lt;https://launchpad.net/paqager&gt;
    > &gt; thanks for the reference, could you just supply a small example for
    > &gt; the code above to get me started?
    > &gt;
    > &gt; thanks in advance
    > &gt; jean
    > Just add the connection at the end of the Ui_Form class and, of course,
    > your function.
    >
    > You can find numbers of examples in your PyQt4 install folder.
    > On my machine is located at /usr/share/doc/python-qt4-doc/examples
    >
    > And, for more inspiration, have a look at this site:
    > http://diotavelli.net/PyQtWiki/
    >
    > --
    > Vincent V.V.
    > Oqapy &lt;https://launchpad.net/oqapy&gt; . Qarte
    > &lt;https://launchpad.net/qarte&gt; . PaQager &lt;https://launchpad.net/paqager&gt;


    Thanks for the extra docu references

    regards,

    jean
     
    Jean Dubois, Jul 13, 2012
    #6
  7. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 07/13/2012 03:12 PM, Jean Dubois wrote:
    > Thanks for the extra docu references


    In this day and age, I think compiling ui files to code is probably on
    the way out. Instead you should consider using the ui files directly in
    your code. This has the advantage of letting you change the gui
    somewhat without having to recompile all the time.

    Here is are some links that gives one way of loading and parsing the ui
    file directly:

    http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/pipermail/pyqt/2007-April/015902.html
    http://bitesofcode.blogspot.ca/2011/10/comparison-of-loading-techniques.html
     
    Michael Torrie, Jul 14, 2012
    #7
  8. Jean Dubois

    rusi Guest

    Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On Jul 14, 7:45 pm, Michael Torrie <> wrote:
    > On 07/13/2012 03:12 PM, Jean Dubois wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the extra docu references

    >
    > In this day and age, I think compiling ui files to code is probably on
    > the way out.  Instead you should consider using the ui files directly in
    > your code.  This has the advantage of letting you change the gui
    > somewhat without having to recompile all the time.
    >
    > Here is are some links that gives one way of loading and parsing the ui
    > file directly:
    >
    > http://www.riverbankcomputing.com/p...pot.ca/2011/10/comparison-of-loading-techniqu...


    I looked at the second link and find code like this:

    app = None
    if ( not app ):
    app = QtGui.QApplication([])

    Maybe I'm dense but whats that if doing there?

    Frankly I seem to be a bit jinxed with gui stuff. A few days ago
    someone was singing the praises of some new themed tk stuff. I could
    not get the first two lines -- the imports -- to work and then gave up
     
    rusi, Jul 14, 2012
    #8
  9. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 07/14/2012 11:13 AM, rusi wrote:
    > I looked at the second link and find code like this:
    >
    > app = None if ( not app ): app = QtGui.QApplication([])
    >
    > Maybe I'm dense but whats that if doing there?
    >
    > Frankly I seem to be a bit jinxed with gui stuff. A few days ago
    > someone was singing the praises of some new themed tk stuff. I could
    > not get the first two lines -- the imports -- to work and then gave
    > up


    Since you haven't had any experience with gui development then probably
    loading ui files isn't the right place to start. First principles
    (creating gui widgets from scratch) would be it.

    In any case, the line in question is quite simple. It creates a
    QApplication object, which is basically the engine that drives all Qt
    applications. Once you call .run() on it, it takes over and handles all
    the mouse events and such for you. In fact you do not have any control
    over the program's execution from this point on, other than to define
    event call-back methods or functions that are called by the widgets when
    things happen, like mouse clicks.

    All gui toolkits operate this way. You set up the widgets, then you run
    the main engine or main event loop and control never returns to your
    main program until something triggers the end (like closing a window or
    the quit menu item is pressed).

    Probably a complete working example is what you need to see, that is
    documented. I primarily work with Gtk, but I'll whip up a Qt one
    tomorrow if I can.
     
    Michael Torrie, Jul 15, 2012
    #9
  10. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 15/07/12 07:31, Michael Torrie wrote:
    > On 07/14/2012 11:13 AM, rusi wrote:
    >> I looked at the second link and find code like this:
    >>
    >> app = None if ( not app ): app = QtGui.QApplication([])
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm dense but whats that if doing there?
    >>
    >> Frankly I seem to be a bit jinxed with gui stuff. A few days ago
    >> someone was singing the praises of some new themed tk stuff. I could
    >> not get the first two lines -- the imports -- to work and then gave
    >> up

    > Since you haven't had any experience with gui development then probably
    > loading ui files isn't the right place to start. First principles
    > (creating gui widgets from scratch) would be it.
    >
    > In any case, the line in question is quite simple. It creates a
    > QApplication object, which is basically the engine that drives all Qt
    > applications. Once you call .run() on it, it takes over and handles all
    > the mouse events and such for you. In fact you do not have any control
    > over the program's execution from this point on, other than to define
    > event call-back methods or functions that are called by the widgets when
    > things happen, like mouse clicks.
    >
    > All gui toolkits operate this way. You set up the widgets, then you run
    > the main engine or main event loop and control never returns to your
    > main program until something triggers the end (like closing a window or
    > the quit menu item is pressed).
    >
    > Probably a complete working example is what you need to see, that is
    > documented. I primarily work with Gtk, but I'll whip up a Qt one
    > tomorrow if I can.

    Rusi is not the op, and his question is about these lines

    app = None
    if ( not app ):

    not this one

    app = QtGui.QApplication([])

    which should be written like this

    app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)



    --
    Vincent V.V.
    Oqapy <https://launchpad.net/oqapy> . Qarte
    <https://launchpad.net/qarte> . PaQager <https://launchpad.net/paqager>
     
    Vincent Vande Vyvre, Jul 15, 2012
    #10
  11. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2012 23:31:38 -0600, Michael Torrie <>
    declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:


    > the mouse events and such for you. In fact you do not have any control
    > over the program's execution from this point on, other than to define
    > event call-back methods or functions that are called by the widgets when
    > things happen, like mouse clicks.
    >

    Technically, those event call-backs need to already have been
    defined (or will be defined within an existing call-back). <G>
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
     
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 15, 2012
    #11
  12. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On 07/15/2012 01:58 AM, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
    > Rusi is not the op, and his question is about these lines
    >
    > app = None
    > if ( not app ):


    Yeah that's a no-op. The original author of that code is clearly
    confused there.

    >
    > not this one
    >
    > app = QtGui.QApplication([])
    >
    > which should be written like this
    >
    > app = QtGui.QApplication(sys.argv)


    Yeah. The QApplication not only is the main engine, but it also parses
    the command-line for certain flags that influence Qt's behavior, similar
    to gtk's main function that also parses command-line flags (specific to
    gtk's operation).
     
    Michael Torrie, Jul 16, 2012
    #12
  13. Re: Python and Qt4 Designer

    On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 07:56:19 -0600, Michael Torrie <>
    declaimed the following in gmane.comp.python.general:

    > On 07/15/2012 01:58 AM, Vincent Vande Vyvre wrote:
    > > Rusi is not the op, and his question is about these lines
    > >
    > > app = None
    > > if ( not app ):

    >
    > Yeah that's a no-op. The original author of that code is clearly
    > confused there.
    >

    I've wondered if the original sample had been much larger at one
    time, and embedded in some sort of "auto-restart" loop (say, for a kiosk
    application). In that situation, one would perhaps want the "app = None"
    somewhere near the start to "wipe out" the previous GUI, and the "if"
    was as a guard to prevent a second start-up [if there were some other
    loop also in the code].
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
     
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Jul 16, 2012
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. aljosa

    py2exe & qt4/qimage

    aljosa, Jun 1, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    667
    Serge Orlov
    Jun 1, 2006
  2. aljosa

    image lib & Qt4

    aljosa, Jun 1, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,297
    Fredrik Lundh
    Jun 3, 2006
  3. Py2exe & (Py)QT4

    , Jul 20, 2006, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    794
    David Boddie
    Jul 20, 2006
  4. Chris
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    174
    Christopher Tasma
    Mar 4, 2007
  5. Martin DeMello

    ruby-1.9, sqlite3 and qt4 on windows

    Martin DeMello, Oct 22, 2009, in forum: Ruby
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    149
    Rajinder Yadav
    Oct 26, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page