Newbie: Python equivalent to Delphi TTable

Ashley Lloyd

Hi all,

I don't know how many of you are very familiar with Delphi, but we're
looking for anything that offers the user a similar kind of interface to an
Interbase table as Delphi components TTable, TIBOTable, etc (findkey, etc).
If anyone knows of anything allowing us to do this, I'd be grateful.

Sorry that this no doubt sounds a little vague, I just can't really explain
it any better!

TIA

Ashley

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger

Jarek Zgoda

Ashley Lloyd said:
I don't know how many of you are very familiar with Delphi, but we're
looking for anything that offers the user a similar kind of interface to an
Interbase table as Delphi components TTable, TIBOTable, etc (findkey, etc).
If anyone knows of anything allowing us to do this, I'd be grateful.

There is no such thing. TTable (and other TDataSet descendants) are
buffered, two-directional cursors, often updatable, with many other
features that I cann't recall now. Python interface to databases
(commonly known as DB-API 2.0) offers only basic data manipulation
functions, such as connecting, executing SQL statements, fetching rows
from database cursor. Particular interfaces often offer something more,
but I don't know any, that offers similar posibilities that TDataSet.

As a note, I also came to Python from ObjectPascal. I also missed
TDataSet, but soon I discovered that really I don't need this
functionality. You need data, not a bidirectional, "live" cursor.
Working with data is much easier using some Object Relational Mapping
(SQLObject is my favourite), than "raw" data in form of columns and
rows. It's much closer to your problem's domain, when your data is
represented as objects.