newbie querystring question

middletree

OK, I'm not a newbie, but I have only used Get method, never used Post or
Session variables. I have used hidden fields to pass data from one page to
the next, and it has worked fine. However, I have a situation where I will
need to use querystrings in an Intranet app (to have a clickable link in an
email which will be sent).

So I posted a question about querystrings last week, and think I get it, but
I don't want to have to change my other ASP pages which could also direct
the user to this one page. So I was thinking about keep those pages the
same, and then putting this pseudo code in the targeted page:

If (querystring <> "" then
strVariablename = Request.querystring (whatever)
Else
strVariablename = Request.Form(whatever)
End if

So the page could be usable if it were

http://intranet/ShowAllInfo.asp

or

http://intranet/ShowAllInfo.asp?Ticket=111

Will such a mixed environment work?

Ray at

Yes, this CAN work. Just make sure you have your logic right. Like, what
if someone goes to showallinfo.asp?kajsdlfkjasljfa? The querystring <> ""
then, but there is no value for the value you're looking for.

Also, you could consider using Request.ServerVariables("REQUEST_METHOD") to
aid your page in deciding where it should define its data from.

Ray at work

middletree

Thanks. I'll have to look into both suggestions. Need to research the second
one, as I've never seen that before.

Robert May

What you've stated will work, but you might try the following:

value=Request("variableName")

You do get a penalty for this because it needs to search through basically
all of the collections in the Request object to find the variable name, but
in practice, it's never been a problem.

Robert

Adrienne

What you've stated will work, but you might try the following:

value=Request("variableName")

You do get a penalty for this because it needs to search through
basically all of the collections in the Request object to find the
variable name, but in practice, it's never been a problem.

You'll run into problems if it's one of the ServerVariables, like URL.
<input type="text" name="url" id="url" value="<%=request("url")%>" /> will
return the name of the page.