newbie question about dictionnary ?

Sophie Alléon

Hi,

CONTEXT
I do numerical simulation for which I have to process mesh. A mesh is made
of
triangle which are made of points.
I want from this information to create edges and build triangle from edges
rather
than from points.

PROBLEM
An edge is shared by possibly more than one triangle.

ALGORITHM

have a triangle class (made of 3 edges)
have an edge class (made of 2 points and embeding a triangle list (those
connected to the edge)

for each triangle construct its edges but I have to check if the edge
already exists

for doing this I thought the dictionary was excellent but the key is a
string while I want it
to be the 2 points forming the edge ? How to do it ?

Have you a better idea ?

Thanks

Guillaume

Michael Geary

Sophie said:
have a triangle class (made of 3 edges)
have an edge class (made of 2 points and embeding a triangle
list (those connected to the edge)

for each triangle construct its edges but I have to check if the
edge already exists

for doing this I thought the dictionary was excellent but the key
is a string while I want it to be the 2 points forming the edge ?
How to do it ?

Sophie, dictionary keys can be just about any immutable value. They can be
tuples, if the tuples contain only strings, numbers, or other tuples:
d = { (1,2): 'one two', (3,4): 'three four' }
d {(1, 2): 'one two', (3, 4): 'three four'}
d[(1,2)] 'one two'
d[(3,4)] 'three four'

For more information, see the Dictionaries section in the Python tutorial:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/

-Mike

Michael Peuser

for doing this I thought the dictionary was excellent but the key is a
string while I want it
to be the 2 points forming the edge ? How to do it ?

Luckily you are wrong! Keys can be numbers, strings, AND tuples of immutable
data!!!

Example:

a="first"
b=2
x={}
x[(a,b)]="hi"
print x

However it will not work when assigning objects or lists to a or b.

So you can use it when you store your objects in a list and refer to them by
indexes. This is old fashioned stuff but may be really efficient.

Kindly
Michael P

Alex Martelli

Sophie said: