newbie question about documentation

Petterson Mikael

Hi,

I can do:

perldoc -f <functioname>

to get man pages.

But how can I get man pages for Net::FTP functions?
I have the above module installed.

BR

//Mikael

A. Sinan Unur

Hi,

I can do:

perldoc -f <functioname>

to get man pages.

But how can I get man pages for Net::FTP functions?

perldoc Net::FTP

See also:

perldoc perldoc

perldoc perltoc

Sinan

xhoster

Hi,

I can do:

perldoc -f <functioname>

to get man pages.

But how can I get man pages for Net::FTP functions?
I have the above module installed.

Unfortunately, I know of no way to pull out the doc for just
one method/subroutine of a module. You have get docs for the whole
module
perldoc Net::FTP
and then search through the output (by hand or using some tool) for
the method you want.

It would be nice if

perldoc -f Net::FTP::new

worked for doing this, but it doesn't.

Xho

Alan J. Flavell

perldoc Net::FTP

Well, that's documentation, alright, but don't I recall the Perl
installer offering a hint how to convert the pod documentation into
other formats, such as ... man pages?

I'm sure perldoc pod2man would help with that. For someone who had
already used pod2man, man pod2man would help - but by then it would be
too late to be useful. SCNR.

Anno Siegel

It would be nice if

perldoc -f Net::FTP::new

worked for doing this, but it doesn't.

That's unlikely. The "perldoc -f" functionality is only possible because
the perlfunc document is very regularly built, with each function an
"=item" by itself. Your average CPAN module varies much more in how it
documents its individual functions.

Anno