Newbie question about importing modules.

cronoklee

Hi
I'm starting my first python project but I'm having trouble getting
off the ground.
I've read all I can find about relative and absolute import paths but
it's just not making sense to me... There seems to be around ten
different ways to import a script.

I need my project to be portable so I can copy the whole folder to run
on any PC that has python installed. Is it always possible to simply
include modules in the project directory and reference them without
installing into the main python directory? I've managed this with
small classes through trial and error but when I try it with anything
larger (like PIL module for example) I get errors. Do I need to
actually install anything or is it enough just to include the relevant
scripts?

All the modules I've found come with tonnes of files and
subdirectories. Do I need all these files or should I just choose the
scripts/folders I need?

Thanks,
cronoklee

shearichard

[...]

You may find this useful as an overview of importing ...

http://effbot.org/zone/import-confusion.htm

.... also this ...

http://diveintopython.org/object_oriented_framework/importing_modules.html

I may be stating the obvious but here's an example of using the Image
object offered by PIL ...

from PIL import Image

.... as documented here ...

http://www.pythonware.com/library/pil/handbook/image.htm

Regarding bundling PIL with an app I'd second what Tim Roberts has to
say regarding py2Exe

regards

Richard.