Newbie question about popups

royDOTandersonATgmail

Hey all,

This seems like it should be simple to me...
I have several pics. When a user moves their mouse over a pic, a
javascript popup appears. When they move their mouse off the pic, the
popup disappears. No problem.

Recently I decided to turn the popup text into links. I accomplished
this with no errors. My problem is that the popup still disappears when
the user moves their mouse off the pic. IOW, the mouseover focus
doesn't transfer to the popup. I'm thinking I need to convert the
javascript popup into a full-fledged menu to accomplish this.

Does anyone have a useful link or info on this kind of
dynamic-menu-over-image-file-scenario?

Thanks

Randy Webb

royDOTandersonATgmail said the following on 12/7/2005 4:26 PM:
Hey all,

This seems like it should be simple to me...
I have several pics. When a user moves their mouse over a pic, a
javascript popup appears. When they move their mouse off the pic, the
popup disappears. No problem.

Recently I decided to turn the popup text into links. I accomplished
this with no errors. My problem is that the popup still disappears when
the user moves their mouse off the pic. IOW, the mouseover focus
doesn't transfer to the popup. I'm thinking I need to convert the
javascript popup into a full-fledged menu to accomplish this.

Does anyone have a useful link or info on this kind of
dynamic-menu-over-image-file-scenario?

Add an onmouseover to your popup that is the exact same as your
onmouseover for the image and make sure the image and the popup overlap
one another. It is the basis for most div-based menu systems.

Roy

--
Randy
*********

Thanks for the help Randy. I'm finding javascript a tad frustrating to
work with...

I should have brought this up before, but there's no way that I can
overlap the image and popup. The popup text is significantly greater
than the image size.

Any suggestions/ideas/links?

Thanks

Randy Webb

Roy said the following on 12/9/2005 10:20 AM:

Thanks for the help Randy. I'm finding javascript a tad frustrating to
work with...

I should have brought this up before, but there's no way that I can
overlap the image and popup. The popup text is significantly greater
than the image size.

Any suggestions/ideas/links?

Yes. Overlap the image and popup as I explained. You don't have to
overlap them entirely. You only need them to overlap enough so that the
onmouseover of the popup fires before the onmouseout of the image fires.