    been googling around and it seems that this requires server side
    scripting, something I know absolutely nothing about. Is there a way
    to do this without php or asp or something? TIA.

    Some Girl, Jul 1, 2007

  2. Some Girl

    Evertjan. Guest

    Some Girl wrote on 01 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > I'm new to JavaScript and don't have any formal training, so please be
    > civil.

    Mmmm?

    So if you were experienced with javascript and/or had some formal
    training [of what?], we would not need to be civil?

    > I've been playing around and trying to add a form to a web page. It
    > has only 3 text fields and a submit and reset button. What I'd like
    > to do is make it so that the values from the text field are displayed
    > on another page after the submit button has been pressed.

    That can be done.

    > Also,
    > everytime a new form is submitted the new information gets added.

    That cannot be done with simple clientside javascript, as tou cannot
    submit two forms to one page, not sequentially and not simultaniously.

    Your destination page ideally should hold such form itself, so that the
    older information can be form posted together with the new information.

    > So
    > for example, if the fields are "Name", "Question", and "Answer",
    > everytime someone submits the form there is a bank of this info along
    > with previous submission ...

    You could also do his using cookies to store and retrieve the previous
    info.
    I think you would be happier using serverside coding, javascript or
    otherwise.

    > .... that can be viewed on another page.

    That other page should be refreshed, before it can display the new data,
    or AJAX could be used being combined serverside/clientside coding.

    > I've
    > been googling around and it seems that this requires server side
    > scripting, something I know absolutely nothing about.

    So start learning about serverside scripting, methinks.
    The added knowledge and experience will come in usefull when or if you
    have access to a serverside enabled site.

    > Is there a way
    > to do this without php or asp or something?

    A way to wat? To serverside scripting or to your first Q?

    If the latter, try cookies.

    =======================

    I am still uncivilly unhappy about this lack of the formal training.
    How did you aquire to write English?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 1, 2007

  3. Some Girl

    Some Girl Guest

    Evertjan,

    Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to learning server side
    scripting, but I was wondering if this task it could be done based on
    my current skill level (which I now can not...not completely,
    anyway).

    > So if you were experienced with javascript and/or had some formal
    > training [of what?], we would not need to be civil?

    :) I meant I've never taken a class in JavaScript. The plead for
    civility was because I've noticed that on many language usergroups
    and irc channels (not here, of course), the "regulars" tend to react
    with disdain to question which they consider to be not very
    complicated. It's frustrating to politely ask a question only to be
    met with arrogance and hostility.

    Some Girl, Jul 1, 2007
  4. Some Girl

    Evertjan. Guest

    Some Girl wrote on 01 jul 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > Evertjan,
    >
    > Thanks for the info. I am looking forward to learning server side
    > scripting, but I was wondering if this task it could be done based on
    > my current skill level (which I now can not...not completely,
    > anyway).
    >

    >> So if you were experienced with javascript and/or had some formal
    >> training [of what?], we would not need to be civil?

    > :) I meant I've never taken a class in JavaScript. The plead for
    > civility was because I've noticed that on many language usergroups
    > and irc channels (not here, of course), the "regulars" tend to react
    > with disdain to question which they consider to be not very
    > complicated. It's frustrating to politely ask a question only to be
    > met with arrogance and hostility.

    Dear Some,

    I doubt that many of us regulars have had classes in javascript or any
    other computer language. Scripting and other computer languages can, in
    my view, well be learned by self teaching, trial and error, copying and
    testing code and availabliliy of specs.

    On usenet, which this NG is part of, civility is not a prime directive,
    but ontopicness is.

    So if you stay on topic and heed also other netiquette issues, you should
    be all right.

    And if someone is uncivil to you, this will add to the consequent gain in
    your frustration tolerance coefficient, not a bad thing in itself.

    This last sentence translated to a yiddish proverb:
    "Nigt ergern, nur wundern".

    Coming back to your OQ.
    Did you make any code yet?
    We could easily make a demo page,
    but doing it yourself will be better and more fun.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Jul 1, 2007
  5. Some Girl

    RobG Guest

    On Jul 2, 2:06 am, Some Girl <> wrote:
    > I'm new to JavaScript and don't have any formal training, so please be
    > civil.
    >
    > I've been playing around and trying to add a form to a web page. It
    > has only 3 text fields and a submit and reset button. What I'd like
    > to do is make it so that the values from the text field are displayed
    > on another page after the submit button has been pressed. Also,
    > everytime a new form is submitted the new information gets added. So
    > for example, if the fields are "Name", "Question", and "Answer",
    > everytime someone submits the form there is a bank of this info along
    > with previous submission that can be viewed on another page. I've
    > been googling around and it seems that this requires server side
    > scripting, something I know absolutely nothing about. Is there a way
    > to do this without php or asp or something?

    If you are going to post the form somewhere useful, then a server must
    be involved or it will disappear into the ether.

    If you just want to use client-side script to add more form controls
    and keep everything on one page, that is fairly straight forward.
    Maybe you want to build up a large form a bit at a time, then submit
    the whole thing in one go at the end?

    There are many, many options. Best you put some requirements together
    and get a clear idea in your mind of *what* you are trying to do at a
    higher level, then you can seek the best way of *how* to go about it.

    --
    Rob

    RobG, Jul 2, 2007