    Best Regards,
    Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    Timberwolf, Jul 24, 2003

  2. Timberwolf

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Timberwolf <> wrote in message
    news:3f1f5eaf$...
    > Hi everyone
    >
    > I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
    > I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
    > C++ database programming.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
    > about the topic?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Gary Hendricks

    See my reply to this same message you posted to
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++.

    And in the future, if you need to post the same message
    to more than one group, crosspost it, don't post two
    separate messages. Thank you.

    -Mike
    Mike Wahler, Jul 24, 2003

  3. "Timberwolf" <> wrote...
    > I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
    > I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
    > C++ database programming.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
    > about the topic?

    You should probably also ask in an internet newsgroup and
    a database newsgroup. Just for the hell of it.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Jul 24, 2003
  4. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:23:20 +0800, "Timberwolf"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone
    >
    >I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
    >I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
    >C++ database programming.

    IF you are new to C++, walk before you run. Don't worry about socket
    libraries and such before you are comfortable with C++. Be competent
    in C++, and using socket and database libraries will seem simple in
    comparison.

    Object 'oriented' programming adds complexity and manageability to
    programming unlike C, and other structured or even object 'based'
    languages.

    Two good books to get started with C++.

    Thinking in C++: Bruce Eckel
    http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

    Accelerated C++: Koenig and Moo
    http://www.acceleratedcpp.com

    OF course you might want to consider this highly authoritative source
    of information as well:

    The C++ Programming Language: Stroustrup
    http://www.research.att.com/~bs/3rd.html

    All of these books not only teach C++ specific coding style, but also
    encourage good form.

    Good luck,
    Charles
    Charles Wilkins, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Timberwolf

    Tom Guest

    "Timberwolf" <> wrote in message news:<3f1f5eaf$>...

    > I'm a newbie to the world of C++ programming.
    > I'm especially interested in C++ internet programming and
    > C++ database programming.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend some good books or websites
    > about the topic?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Gary Hendricks
    > http://www.desktop-video-guide.com

    Just FYI, this guy's a troll.... Well, maybe that's not the right word
    exactly - more a spammer of sorts who wants you to visit his website.
    He's sent this identical message to this newsgroup several times in
    the past:

    On March 28, 2003:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&selm=3e852b20$

    Again on May 29, 2003:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&selm=3ed6b4eb$

    And then again on July 23, 2003:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&newwindow=1&selm=3f1f5eaf$

    He also posted this message to comp.lang.c++.moderated,
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++, no.it.programmering.c++, it.comp.lang.c++,
    and fr.comp.lang.c++.

    More to the point, he has posted substantially the same message in
    numerous other newsgroups covering an amazing variety of topics. E.g.
    (I'm not making this up):

    Any good resources about Jews?
    Hi everyone I'm doing some research on the Jews as a race. Can anyone
    recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
    advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video-guide
    soc.culture.jewish - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    Any good resources on astronomy/astrology?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of astronomy/astrology. Can
    anyone
    recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
    advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video-guide
    uk.sci.astronomy - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted to tw.bbs.sci.astrology, sci.astro,
    es.charla.gastronomia, and sci.astro.amateur)

    Any good websites on food and cuisine?
    Hi everyone Can anyone recommend some good websites on food and
    cuisine?
    I'm especially interested in Asian and French food/wine. Thanks in
    advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks http://www.desktop-video ...
    tw.bbs.rec.foodstuff - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted to uk.food+drink.misc, alt.food.wine,
    and rec.food.cooking)

    Where to get game cheat codes?
    Hi everyone Can anyone recommend a good website for downloading game
    cheat codes? Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    Learn how to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!
    rec.games.frp.dnd - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted to alt.games.diablo,
    alt.games.video.xbox,
    and tw.bbs.rec.pcgame)

    Any good books or websites on weightlifting?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of weightlifting Can anyone
    recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
    advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    misc.fitness.weights - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted on alt.sport.weightlifting)

    Any good books or websites on Howard Stern?
    Hi everyone Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about
    Howard Stern? Thanks in advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    Learn how to shoot, capture and edit your own digital videos!
    alt.fan.howard-stern - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    Newbie question: Any good resources on body building?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of body building. Can anyone
    recommend some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in
    advance. Best Regards, Gary Hendricks
    http://www.desktop-video-guide.com
    uk.rec.bodybuilding - Mar 29, 2003

    Does anyone know where to download MP3?
    Hi everyone Now that Napster and Audiogalaxy Satellite are dead, does
    anyone know of any web pages where I can download MP3s? I've tried the
    P2P programs like KaZaa but do not like them as they install funny
    stuff
    on my PC. Thanks in advance. ...
    alt.music.who - Mar 29, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted on de.alt.music.metal,
    it.arti.musica.classica, and rec.music.phish)

    Newbie question: Any good resources on Java programming?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of Java programming. I'm
    especially
    interested in Java internet programming and Java database programming.
    Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the topic?
    Thanks
    in advance. ...
    fr.comp.lang.javascript - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (the above was also posted to comp.lang.java.gui,
    comp.lang.javascript, and de.comp.lang.javascript)

    Newbie question: Any good resources on Linux?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to the world of Linux. I'm especially
    interested
    in the RedHat and Mandrake releases. Can anyone recommend some good
    books or tutorial websites about these topics? Thanks in advance. ...
    comp.os.linux.advocacy - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (The above was also posted to tw.bbs.comp.linux)

    Newbie question: Any good resources on Vegas Video 4.0?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie to Vegas Video 4.0 video editing software.
    Heard
    a lot about how good it is. Can anyone recommend some good books or
    tutorial websites about Vegas 4.0? Thanks in advance. Best ...
    uk.rec.video.digital - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (The above was also posted to alt.video.vcr and
    rec.video.production)

    Any good resources on South Africa?
    Hi everyone I'm travelling to South Africa for a holiday in two
    months'
    time. Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about South
    Africa, especially around the Cape of Good Hope? Thanks in advance.
    soc.culture.south-africa.afrikaans - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (The above was also posted to soc.culture.african,
    soc.culture.african.american and soc.culture.south-africa)

    Newbie question: Any good resources on cars?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie in the world of car modifications. I'm
    especially interested in the following car models: Nissan, Toyota,
    Honda
    and Lexus. Can anyone recommend some good books or websites about the
    topic? Thanks in advance. ...
    uk.rec.motorcaravans - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (The above was also posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,
    uk.rec.cars.modifications, and rec.autos.sport.nascar)

    Newbie question: Any good resources on audio production?
    Hi everyone I'ma newbie in the world of audio production. I'm
    especially
    interested in digital audio and sound engineering. Can anyone
    recommend
    some good books or websites about the topic? Thanks in advance. ...
    rec.audio.tech - Mar 28, 2003 by Timberwolf

    (The above was also posted to rec.audio.marketplace, rec.audio.car,
    and rec.audio.tubes)

    Someone in the "ne.food" newsgroup noticed this a few months ago:

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...E5D020FFADddeutschmaultraxetco@216.166.71.230

    Best regards,

    Tom
    Tom, Jul 24, 2003
  6. <> wrote...

    > > [...]

    > And essentially the same message was posted on 29 May, with a different

    ad.
    > And on 27 April, with a different ad. And on 28 March, with a different

    ad.
    > And the same pattern exists from the two incarnations of this poster in
    > a variety of other news groups. I'm a newbie to Topic X, can you point
    > me to resources on Topic X, repeated about once a month. Hmmm.... Sure
    > looks like it *should* be over the limit for getting cancelled. Thoughts?
    > Socks

    What would you cancel? His Singapore Internet account? Killfile
    him and never be bothered again.
    Victor Bazarov, Jul 24, 2003