Newbie Question - ASP.NET Making Forms Similair to Access

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob G, May 13, 2004.

  1. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    Hi,

    I am new to this so pardon the dumb question.

    I have used MS Access and VBA programming for quite sometime. I am now
    trying to learn new things and I've been reading the ASP.NET Developer's
    Jumpstart book. So far it is pretty good.

    I understand (a bit) about data binding to a DataGrid or DataList. But I am
    having a problem finding something that is similair to the Form in Access.
    For example, I would want to populate a form from a DropDownListBox (the
    DropDownListBox is not a problem nor is populating it with the data).

    What I cannot really find is a similair component to an Access form that I
    can place Text Boxes, Option Boxes, Tab, etc. on a Web Form? I figure I
    could do each object (Text Box, Radio Button, etc.) separately and bind them
    individually. Does that make sense? Is that how .NET is supposed to work?

    If not, could someone give me a general direction to go?

    Thanks for your help.

    -Rob

    Rob G, May 13, 2004

  2. You will find that things are quite different than in the MS Access world
    (Access does a lot for you). Not only are you going from a rich GUI
    environment, but you're going to the Web. The fundamentals are quite
    different, and you'd save yourself a lot of time and headaches if you study
    the fundamental differences earlier rather than later (including state
    management, the request/response model, the role of HTTP in communication,
    etc).

    To answer your question, no, there's not a special type of Web Form that
    would mimic the MS Access forms. Rather what you'd do is create a basic aspx
    page, and then add a grid to it. The grid is what would give you the rich
    functionality you are after (but it almost certainly won't be as easy to use
    and set up as the MS Access form). An example of a grid that provides
    similar functionality can be found at
    http://www.infragistics.com/products/grids.asp and elsewhere on the net (I'm
    sure others in this group will point out other rich Web grids).

    As an alternative, you can create what is called a DataList or Repeater.
    These are controls that will repeat a template - once for each row to which
    the control is bound (like the MS Access report writer). The template can
    include whatever controls you need - text boxes, list boxes, etc - and you
    can lay them out however you like. In any case, the point is that you're not
    limited to grids to get the functionality of a grid. Grids offer the most,
    but perhaps not in the layout you would want.

    Good Luck.

    -G

    Guadala Harry, May 13, 2004

  3. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    Guadala,

    Thanks so much for the detailed information. It is almost scary how much new
    stuff there is to learn. And the more I learn, the more I realize I don't
    know.

    I will further investigate the DataList and Repeaters (they are in upcoming
    chapters).

    Thanks again.

    -Rob

    Rob G, May 13, 2004
  4. No problem, and one more thing...

    If you're serious about learning ASP.NET, then I highly recommend the book
    by Dino Esposito "Programming Microsoft ASP.NET" - Microsoft Press. Very
    readable - starts with the basics, and takes you through advanced. It offers
    perspective - not simply a how-to guide.

    -G

    Guadala Harry, May 13, 2004
  5. Rob G

    Rob G Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look at that book.

    I am almost finished with ASP.NET Developer's JumpStart by Paul D. Sheriff
    and Ken Getz.

    It is pretty good but I think I need a bigger perspective after I am done
    with this book.

    Do you have any suggestions for websites that give examples or maybe a
    newsletter?

    Thanks agin for your help and advice.

    Rob G, May 13, 2004