Newbie - question concerning page behaviour

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Griff, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    Not sure that the subject adequately defines my question, but here goes.

    I have a CLASSIC asp web site that contains FRAMES. In my left-hand frame I
    have a navigational menu. What navigation items are displayed depend upon
    the identity of the user using the system (they have to log on first). So,
    some users have a reduced functionality set. The navigation takes a wee
    while to load, but it only has to load the once because it's in a frame set.
    Clicking on menu items loads a completely new page in the right hand part of
    the frame - all normal stuff I'm sure.

    Some of our customers have UI requirements that mean that we've got the
    scrap the frame-set and we're going to re-write the application using ASP
    (most likely in VS2005 using ASP2.0).

    I like what I've read about master pages (some customers want a left hand
    side menu, others want a horizontal menu) and I see that I can create two
    master pages to accommodate this.

    What I'm not sure about is this:

    Having authenticated oneself, a "launch" page will load. This will inherit
    the master page and load the relevant menu for that user (after having spent
    a little while identifying what menu items they are allowed to see).

    From the "launch" page, they click a menu item called "catalogue" and this
    loads up "catalogue.aspx" which inherits the same master page. What I'd
    really like it to do would be to simply re-display the SAME menu, rather
    than re-identify what menu items the user has access to.

    Is that possible, or would the navigation menu have to re-populate from
    scratch.

    Thanks in advance

    Griff

    Griff, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Griff

    Devone Guest

    Hi,

    This scenario sounds like the perfect option to use the new data aware
    caching mechanisms built into ASP.Net 2.0 . . . This method allows you to
    setup your database so that it triggers the cache control mechanism of
    ASP.Net and invalidates the cache when your database tables change (based on
    the table(s) you configure the system to watch). With MS SQL 7.0 and 2000,
    ASP.Net will poll the database for changes (based on your poll interval) and
    with MS SQL 2005, the database will actively alert the cache control
    mechanism using HTTP (port 80). It is a great solution for database driven
    menuing systems. One more thing, the cache can also be parameter dependent
    so it will work based on the logon name/ID, etc. The following links provide
    some good detailed info . . .

    http://www.15seconds.com/issue/040518.htm

    http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2005/01/17/sqlcachedependency.html

    Hope this helps . . .