Newbie question: Converting XML into PDF or HTML

niels

Hi.

I am VERY new in XML. I have purchased XMLspy, which I think is a very good
program indeed. However, the help files are crowded with expressions, which
I don't quite understand, which is why I have to ask for a little help -
Please!!

I have succeeded in making a Schema, a stylesheet, and an XML file. I have
also succeeded in creating an HTML file using XML spy. However, what I need,
is a way of easily creating HTML (or even better: PDF) files given that the
XML file (and the corresponding stylesheet) is there.

The reason for this, is that I have developed a small piece of software,
which creates an XML file. I would like whoever uses this software, to be
able to present this file in whatever way he wants. Hence he (Or she) should
be able to create a stylesheet, and then use this to create an HTML (Or PDF)
file, without having to purchase XML spy.

Now my question is: does such a method exist, or do I have to write a script
(Java or Perl or ...) on my own??.

Yours sincerely

Niels

PS - My IT boss does not allow me to write my personal E-amil address. Hence
the crooked one - sorry for this :)

Jurrie

Use apaches FOP see http://xml.apache.org/fop/index.html
Now my question is: does such a method exist, or do I have to write a script
(Java or Perl or ...) on my own??.

you can call FOP from a Java prog or from the command line

Andy Fish

....and to make HTML you just need xalan which again you can incorporate into
a java program or run from command line (in fact fop requires xalan anyway)

obviously other technologies are available. fop and xalan are widely used by
developers because they're (a) free; (b) standards-based (so you can plug in
a different library later); (c) java-based;

Alexander Schatten

First of all, if you are really a newbie, I would forget XMLSpy at the
beginning.

(1) Buy a good XML book

(2) Download JEdit + XML Plugins

(3) Check out the following tools:

(a) Apache Cocoon
(b) Apache Forrest
(c) Apache Ant

All three of them can be used to create HTML, PDF and other formats,
dynamically as well as offline.

Forget the reference to Xalan and FOP as the command line usage is
awkward. Xalan can be called inside Jedit or using the Apache ant <style>
target, which is the far superior way to use xalan.

For more complex publishing tasks use Cocoon or Forrest.

I held a tutorial about precisely those topics. you can check out my
website: http://w w w . s c h a t t e n . i n f o (remove the spaces). go
to the tutorials section and look at the recent xml publishing material.
you will find examples to the mentioned tools (except Forrest).

Alex