Newbie question - data collection driven by DTD/schema

Discussion in 'XML' started by Ghee, May 28, 2004.

  1. Ghee

    Ghee Guest

    Hello comp.text.xml,

    I'm *just* starting to learn XML and related friends, and I've had an
    idea that I'd like to pursure, but an not sure if it's possible,
    practical, been done before, etc. The idea is to have a data collection
    application that was driven by a DTD or schema (or a collection of
    them) - ie, I'd like to have a generic framework that would take a DTD,
    and decide what the operator could enter, instead of having to code into
    the application the structure of the data.

    All the examples, tutorials, etc, that I've seen so far employ DTDs and
    schemas to verify existing data once it's all entered. I'd like to turn
    this on its head a little, and only ask for data that follows the
    DTD/schema.

    What do you think? I've tried to find out more before posting, but my
    brief scans haven't revealed much.

    Ghee

    Ghee, May 28, 2004