(Newbie Question) Digest::MD5 CPAN module compilation errors

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by FreeDiver, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. FreeDiver

    FreeDiver Guest

    Hi,
    I am a newbie in Perl. I am having trouble installing my
    Digest::MD5 CPAN
    module. We are running Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0.3 (from SMCgcc3 pkg).
    I've got
    the following error messages when trying to do a "make". Looks like
    it's complaining about that '-KPIC' option is not recognized.
    Any idea how I can resolve this problem ?? Do I need another
    compiler
    for this CPAN module installation ?? Is there any other free compiler
    out there ??

    Thanks in advance for your help.

    Bill

    atlantis# perl Makefile.PL CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc
    Testing alignment requirements for U32... Test program exit status was
    0
    Warning: prerequisite Digest::base 1.00 not found at (eval 1) line
    220.
    Writing Makefile for Digest::MD5

    atlantis# make
    /usr/local/bin/gcc -c -xO3 -xdepend -DVERSION=\"2.33\"
    -DXS_VERSION=\"2.33\" -KPIC -I/usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/CORE
    -DU32_ALIGNMENT_REQUIRED MD5.c
    gcc: unrecognized option `-KPIC'
    gcc: language depend not recognized
    gcc: MD5.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
    Running Mkbootstrap for Digest::MD5 ()
    chmod 644 MD5.bs
    LD_RUN_PATH="" cc -o blib/arch/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so -G MD5.o
    cc: MD5.o: No such file or directory
    cc: No input files
    *** Error code 1
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target
    `blib/arch/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.so'

    FreeDiver, Dec 3, 2004

  2. FreeDiver

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth (FreeDiver):
    > Hi,
    > I am a newbie in Perl. I am having trouble installing my
    > Digest::MD5 CPAN
    > module. We are running Solaris 8 with gcc 3.0.3 (from SMCgcc3 pkg).
    > I've got
    > the following error messages when trying to do a "make". Looks like
    > it's complaining about that '-KPIC' option is not recognized.
    > Any idea how I can resolve this problem ?? Do I need another
    > compiler
    > for this CPAN module installation ?? Is there any other free compiler
    > out there ??
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    >
    > atlantis# perl Makefile.PL CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc

    You must build modules with the same compiler perl was built with, in
    this case one of Sun's ccs by the looks of it.
    perl -V:cc -V:ccversion -V:gccversion should enable you to work it out.
    Either get hold of a copy of that compiler, or rebuild perl from source
    with the compiler you have.

    Ben

    - Pericles of Athens, c.430 B.C.

    Ben Morrow, Dec 3, 2004