newbie question (Failed to update database)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?bWF1cmljaW9hZ2xy?=, May 4, 2005.

  1. Please Help,

    I am using Visual Web Developer 2005 Express and downloaded the personal
    website template. I published it and get the following error:

    Failed to update database "..\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is read-only.

    [SqlException (0x80131904): Failed to update database
    "C:\INETPUB\WEBS\PERSONAL\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because the database is
    read-only.]
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.OnError(SqlException exception,
    Boolean breakConnection) +786274
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnError(SqlException
    exception, Boolean breakConnection) +684886

    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndWarning(TdsParserStateObject
    stateObj) +207
    System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand
    cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet
    bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1751
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.FinishExecuteReader(SqlDataReader ds,
    RunBehavior runBehavior, String resetOptionsString) +107
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReaderTds(CommandBehavior
    cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, Boolean async)
    +570
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.RunExecuteReader(CommandBehavior
    cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream, String method,
    DbAsyncResult result) +134
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.InternalExecuteNonQuery(DbAsyncResult
    result, String methodName, Boolean sendToPipe) +415
    System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +135
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved, String& salt, Int32& passwordFormat) +1861
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.CheckPassword(String username,
    String password, Boolean updateLastLoginActivityDate, Boolean
    failIfNotApproved) +42
    System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider.ValidateUser(String username,
    String password) +78
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnAuthenticate(AuthenticateEventArgs e)
    +161
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.AttemptLogin() +94
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Login.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)
    +101
    System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +35
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.OnCommand(CommandEventArgs e) +115
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.RaisePostBackEvent(String
    eventArgument) +146

    System.Web.UI.WebControls.ImageButton.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +7
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +11
    includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5670

    --
    Mauricio

    =?Utf-8?B?bWF1cmljaW9hZ2xy?=, May 4, 2005

  2. ok for the access database. when you are doing an update or any querying the
    database using asp.net, the microsoft access database should not be opened in
    a seperate window. then check if its really read only. and then add the
    aspnet, iis_*** users and give read, write and read and execute access. hope
    this helps

    =?Utf-8?B?bGF0aGEgdmFsbGluYXlhZ2Ft?=, May 5, 2005

  3. After creating a new personal website using visual web developer 2005 beta 2,
    I get the same exact error.

    You are able to get to the login screen and enter a user name and password.
    After hitting the login button, you get that error.

    I have tried permissions in IIS and at the file system level (NTFS), but to
    no avail.

    IUnfortunately, Latha V.'s post was too vague for me to be useful. I have
    no access db window open, its using SQL express.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9jayBSLg==?=, May 24, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?bWF1cmljaW9hZ2xy?=

    Riki Guest

    "Rock R." <Rock > wrote in message
    > After creating a new personal website using visual web developer 2005 beta
    > 2,
    > I get the same exact error.
    >
    > You are able to get to the login screen and enter a user name and
    > password.
    > After hitting the login button, you get that error.
    >
    > I have tried permissions in IIS and at the file system level (NTFS), but
    > no avail.
    >
    > IUnfortunately, Latha V.'s post was too vague for me to be useful. I have
    > no access db window open, its using SQL express.

    The workaround that solved it for me was the following:
    - create a new website
    - set the ACL permissions on the App_Data folder BEFORE creating
    the membership provider
    - create the membership provider (in VWD with Website/ASP.NET Configuration)
    - copy over all the files from the existing website

    Riki

    Riki, May 27, 2005
  5. Thanks Riki, but I am still getting that error. Here's what I do:

    OS= Windows XP Pro 5.1 SP2
    DB=SQL Server 2005 (express)
    Visual web developer 2005 express
    Webserver=IIS v5.1
    Framework=.Net Framework 2.0

    1) Set ACL on C:\Inetpub\wwwroot to give ASPNET full permission
    2) Start VWD and create a new personal website
    3) Set the ACL on c:\documents and settings\user\my documents\visual
    studio\websites\website1 to give ASPNET full permission
    4) Open VWD and run website->asp.net config
    5) Problem 1: there are no roles defined as the documentation describes. So
    I create a role for Administrators and a role for Friends
    6) I then add a user and select it both roles defined above.
    7) I verify permissions on my documents\visual
    studio\websites\website1\App_data and all files contained under it that
    ASPNET group has full permissions.
    8) I publish the website in VWD to c:\inetpub\wwwroot
    9) I verify that c:\inetpub\wwwroot\app_data gives ASPNET full control
    10) I bring up IE and connect to localhost......long pause before first web
    page of the personal site come up. I login using my admin account I created
    and I get:
    Failed to update database "C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF" because
    the database is read-only.
    11) I try to delelete the file C:\INETPUB\WWWROOT\APP_DATA\ASPNETDB.MDF but
    it is use by another process
    12) I bring up a task list and notice that there are several SQLSERVR.EXE
    running, but only one running as ASPNET. So, I end that process.
    13) I then delete the aspnetdb.mdf file with no hitches, so I know it is
    connecting to the database as ASPNET, but I can't get it to connect
    read-write.

    Anyone have any thoughts?

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9jayBSLg==?=, May 27, 2005
  6. I also had this problem. In my case it isn't the MDF created by the
    membership provider though. It's a custom MDF that I dragged in there. I
    have decided to just give up and attach it to the default SQL Server
    instance on the server and attach to it as a shared database. It's ok since
    it's my own server, but definitely not my preference.

    -Arian

    Arian T. Kulp, Jun 2, 2005