Newbie Question - Firefox CSS DIV irregularity

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Pacific Dragon, Mar 13, 2005.

  1. Forgive my lack of knowledge on CSS as this is pretty much my first time
    dabbling with CSS.

    If you view my site http://young.orcon.net.nz in Internet Explorer 6.0
    (windows 2000) the page will display correctly as how I intended it to
    be, however if you view the page in Firefox 1.0.1 the footer DIV's
    below the main content seems to get incorrectly placed under the right
    hand content div and the Footer graphic does not display.

    I've tried to put a bounding box between the main content and the right
    content divs but this has not helped, Firefox still places the footer
    divs under the Right content div. Seeing
    http://young.orcon.net.nz/troubleshoot/ will make the differences in
    behaviour between firefox and Internet explorer clearer. (The green is
    where I attempted to put a bounding box around the main content and
    right content div)

    What can be done so that the footer graphic and footer DIVs in Firefox
    is properly displayed at the bottom just as Internet explorer displays it?

    Thanks for any assistance

    Pacific Dragon, Mar 13, 2005

  2. Pacific Dragon wrote:
    > Forgive my lack of knowledge on CSS as this is pretty much my first time
    > dabbling with CSS.
    >
    > If you view my site http://young.orcon.net.nz in Internet Explorer 6.0
    > (windows 2000) the page will display correctly as how I intended it to
    > be, however if you view the page in Firefox 1.0.1 the footer DIV's
    > below the main content seems to get incorrectly placed under the right
    > hand content div and the Footer graphic does not display.
    >
    > I've tried to put a bounding box between the main content and the right
    > content divs but this has not helped, Firefox still places the footer
    > divs under the Right content div. Seeing
    > http://young.orcon.net.nz/troubleshoot/ will make the differences in
    > behaviour between firefox and Internet explorer clearer. (The green is
    > where I attempted to put a bounding box around the main content and
    > right content div)
    >
    > What can be done so that the footer graphic and footer DIVs in Firefox
    > is properly displayed at the bottom just as Internet explorer displays it?

    Did you play with "clear: both;" in the #contentfooter.
    It would look like this in the stylesheet
    #contentfooter {
    background:url(/images/footer.jpg);
    width:600px;
    height:26px;
    padding:0px;}

    A little advice. Don't use fixed width, but "em" or "%" instead. Because
    everyone have a different window size. Some are surfing with a 800x600,
    1024x800, 1280x1024 or larger. Sometimes I use a beamer (window size
    about 3x5 meters).
    --
    Edwin van der Vaart

    Edwin van der Vaart, Mar 13, 2005

  3. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >
    > #contentfooter {
    > background:url(/images/footer.jpg);
    > width:600px;
    > height:26px;
    > padding:0px;}

    Oops, I forgot to add clear: both.
    #contentfooter {
    clear: both;

    Edwin van der Vaart, Mar 13, 2005
  4. Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    > Edwin van der Vaart wrote:
    >
    >> Pacific Dragon wrote:
    >>
    >> #contentfooter {
    >> background:url(/images/footer.jpg);
    >> width:600px;
    >> height:26px;
    >> padding:0px;}

    > Oops, I forgot to add clear: both.
    > #contentfooter {
    > clear: both;
    > background:url(/images/footer.jpg);
    > width: 600px;
    > height: 26px;
    > padding: 0px;}

    Excellent, thanks for that. :eek:) This resolves the problem.

    Pacific Dragon, Mar 14, 2005