Newbie question - how to use Web Service function in Access

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Dave, May 29, 2007.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    I am a long-time VBA/Access developer but a newcomer to web services.
    I have data in an Access table that I need to write to a SQL Server
    table via web services. The web services developers have provided me 3
    functions to do this - Initialize, which retrieves an instance ID,
    Import, which is called for each row of data to be transferred, and
    Finalize, which runs after all records have been transferred.

    The developers are not VB guys and have not able to tell me how to
    invoke these functions in my code, and my examination of the functions
    leaves me clueless as to how to use them - obviously they wrap my data
    in xml tags and send it to SQL Server, but I have no idea how to pass
    the data to them.

    I find reams of info online about creating web services, etc., but
    have found nothing to help me use a service that already exists.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Dave, May 29, 2007

  2. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    All you need to do is create a WebService project in VS.NET and create 3
    different WebMethods that perform the tasks you've indicated. You don't
    need to do anything on the Access side (although I really wouldn't be using
    Access for web site storage/web service access).

    Then a front-end ASP.NET project can be made that simply adds a Web
    Reference to your Web Services assembly. VS.NET takes care of the rest.

    -Scott

    Scott M., May 29, 2007

  3. Dave

    Andrew Brook Guest

    Hi Dave,

    Have the developers given you a WSDL file? This file would contain all the
    information you would need to access the webservice. As well as this, do you
    intend to use VBA to transfer the data?

    I'd just write a VB.NET application to open your access database, and call
    the webservice. If you have the location of the WSDL file then you can
    simply 'add a web reference' from inside VS and point it at the file. A
    class will then be generated for you that will hide some of the complexity.

    hope this helps,
    Andrew

    Andrew Brook, May 30, 2007
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On May 30, 3:57 am, "Andrew Brook" <> wrote:
    > Hi Dave,
    >
    > Have the developers given you a WSDL file? This file would contain all the
    > information you would need to access the webservice. As well as this, do you
    > intend to use VBA to transfer the data?
    >
    > I'd just write a VB.NET application to open your access database, and call
    > the webservice. If you have the location of the WSDL file then you can
    > simply 'add a web reference' from inside VS and point it at the file. A
    > class will then be generated for you that will hide some of the complexity.
    >
    > hope this helps,
    > Andrew
    >
    > "Dave" <> wrote in message

    > >I am a long-time VBA/Access developer but a newcomer to web services.
    > > I have data in an Access table that I need to write to a SQL Server
    > > table via web services. The web services developers have provided me 3
    > > functions to do this - Initialize, which retrieves an instance ID,
    > > Import, which is called for each row of data to be transferred, and
    > > Finalize, which runs after all records have been transferred.

    > > The developers are not VB guys and have not able to tell me how to
    > > invoke these functions in my code, and my examination of the functions
    > > leaves me clueless as to how to use them - obviously they wrap my data
    > > in xml tags and send it to SQL Server, but I have no idea how to pass
    > > the data to them.

    > > I find reams of info online about creating web services, etc., but
    > > have found nothing to help me use a service that already exists.

    > > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    > > Thanks
    > > Dave

    Andrew,

    I need to invoke the data transfer from within the Access application.
    When the user finishes processing records within the application, he/
    she needs to be able to click a button that launches code to transfer
    the data from the Access table to SQL Server via the web service
    functions that have been provided.

    Thanks
    Dave

    Dave, May 30, 2007
  5. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    Your going to have a harder time accessing the service from within access.
    You'll have to make the SOAP Requests and process the SOAP Responses
    manually. Access is not a .NET application, so none of the .NET Framework
    stuff will help you.

    Scott M., May 30, 2007
  6. Dave

    Andrew Brook Guest

    I guess it would be much easier if the webservice in question supports HTTP
    POST requests rather than using SOAP. I've not looked into it, but i'm sure
    VBA must have some functions to help with HTTP requests and responses.

    Andrew

    Andrew Brook, May 30, 2007
  7. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    Yes, VBA does have HTTP request and response objects (the XMLHTTP component
    will do), but if you are consuming a web service, you'll need more than
    that. Web services use SOAP, so you will have to work with SOAP.

    Scott M., May 31, 2007
  8. Dave

    Andrew Brook Guest

    They don't have to use SOAP, i've wrriten a couple in .NET that were
    accessible using HTTP GET purely because the client using SOAP was out of
    the question. The services in question only required simple types as input
    and returned a chunk of plain XML as a response, no SOAP in sight :)

    Andrew

    Andrew Brook, May 31, 2007
  9. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    If there was no SOAP in sight, then it wasn't a web service you were
    calling. Passing XML around is not the same thing as calling a web service.

    Scott M., May 31, 2007
  10. Dave

    Andrew Brook Guest

    Well the service was defined and generated from a WSDL file. Is it possible
    to define something other than a web service with WSDL? :)

    Andrew

    Andrew Brook, May 31, 2007
  11. Dave

    Egghead Guest

    hi here,
    what is wrong with the SOAP toolkit form Microsoft?

    --
    cheers,
    RL

    Egghead, May 31, 2007
  12. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    Nothing if you can get your hands on it. My understanding is that it was
    discontinued some time ago though.

    Scott M., May 31, 2007
  13. Dave

    Scott M. Guest

    Not as far as I know. But again, if you consumed a web service, there was
    SOAP somewhere. Perhaps it was automatically generated in a way I'm
    unfamiliar with.

    Scott M., May 31, 2007
  14. Dave

    Andrew Brook Guest

    a bit more info at
    http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/ws/desc/wsdl12/wsdl12-bindings.html?rev=1.18#_http

    this is part of an example I wrote a little while back :

    <wsdl:binding name="DocServiceHttpGet" type="tns:DocServiceHttpGet">
    <http:binding verb="GET"/>
    <wsdl:eek:peration name="doGetDoc">
    <http:eek:peration location="/doGetDoc"/>
    <wsdl:input>
    <http:urlEncoded/>
    </wsdl:input>
    <wsdl:eek:utput>
    <mime:mimeXml part="Body"/>
    </wsdl:eek:utput>
    </wsdl:eek:peration>

    Andrew Brook, Jun 1, 2007
  15. Dave

    Egghead Guest

    I believe if you google it, you can find it. I use it in a VB6.0 app last
    year, and it serves the basic ok; just cannot be very q with it.

    --
    cheers,
    RL

    Egghead, Jun 1, 2007