[newbie question] IIS5.1 & ASP2.0

Simon Smith

Please forgive me if this is an obvious question, but my programming
experience is VB6 and old fashioned languages. Forth anyone?

Anyway I am now trying to learn ASP2.0, via Microsoft Visual Web
Developer 2005 Express, and so far so good. But I now want to deploy an
initial website to test my skills. At this time I do not want to pay for
web-hosting as it might not work and I have 2 spare PCs lying around at
home.

So What do I need? They both run XP Pro SP2 and have IIS 5.1 running.
But it seems that IIS only sees .htm and .asp files and VWD produces
..aspx files. Can someone explain, or point me to, how to correctly
configure and deploy a website.

If the software is not correct what do I need? and I don't really want
to go out and buy MS Server 2003 as it is v. expensive.

Thanks

Simon

ThunderMusic

- build you site
- put all the .aspx files in a directory under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ (let's
say c:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourSite\) and all the dlls in a \bin directory in
your sites main directory (let's say c:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourSite\bin\)
- go to iis console (administrative tools-->Internet Information Services)
and open the treeview until you find your website.
- go into the properties of the web site and the go to the Document tab...
there you can enter documents the web site will search as default ones...
- enter your startup page

You're done, your site is deployed. (simple isn't it?)

I hope it helps

ThunderMusic

Tarren

You need to install .NET Framework 2.0

ThunderMusic said:
- build you site
- put all the .aspx files in a directory under c:\inetpub\wwwroot\ (let's
say c:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourSite\) and all the dlls in a \bin directory in
your sites main directory (let's say c:\inetpub\wwwroot\YourSite\bin\)
- go to iis console (administrative tools-->Internet Information Services)
and open the treeview until you find your website.
- go into the properties of the web site and the go to the Document tab...
there you can enter documents the web site will search as default ones...
- enter your startup page

You're done, your site is deployed. (simple isn't it?)

I hope it helps

ThunderMusic

ThunderMusic

absolutely... I forgot this one... it should be done before all mentionned
above... it's a preriquisite... ;)