    right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

    Thanks,

    Don.
    Don Taylor, Feb 20, 2006

  2. Don Taylor

    Larry Bates Guest

    Re: Newbie question: Multiple installations of Python on Windowsmachines

    Don Taylor wrote:
    > I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.
    >
    > There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
    > unless I have Python 2.3.x installed. (The only way that I can install
    > this is to use it's .exe installer)
    >
    > Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
    > something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
    > right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Don.

    You can but it is kind of tricky. You must control the PYTHONPATH environment
    variable so that it points to the correct paths for the version of python
    you are running. You also will need to fully qualify the call to run
    python (e.g. C:\Python23\python yourprogram.py).

    I've had this working but if there is ANY way to run the other program on
    another computer I would (so as to not mess up 2.4.2 install).

    -Larry
    Larry Bates, Feb 21, 2006

  3. Don Taylor

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Don Taylor wrote:
    > I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.
    >
    > There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
    > unless I have Python 2.3.x installed. (The only way that I can install
    > this is to use it's .exe installer)
    >
    > Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
    > something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
    > right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

    A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
    be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

    Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
    windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
    2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
    can make it work under Python 2.4.

    If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
    portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
    almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
    all with your Python 2.4 install).

    http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

    You'll still have to get at the application files though. I have a
    VMWare install with Python 2.3 on it, so I may be able to help.

    All the best,

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Don Taylor

    Don Taylor Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:

    > A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
    > be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

    Interesting suggestion that would never have occured to me. One of the
    unzippers I tried (IZArc) did show me a directory of the contents, but
    it would still not let me extract the files.

    > Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
    > windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
    > 2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
    > can make it work under Python 2.4.

    So I tried this and copied the files from my virtual machine to the
    site-packages folder on my real Python 2.4 machine, I then ran into
    there being a compiled extension.

    > If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
    > portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
    > almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
    > all with your Python 2.4 install).
    >
    > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

    I could use a virtual machine with 2.3 installed, but neither option
    appeals to me right now as I want to use the rest of my Python installed
    stuff (and Eclipse Pydev) stuff - which is why I wanted to continue
    with Python 2.4 in the first place.

    I have got a copy of the C source for the extension, can anybody give
    me/point me a cookbook recipe for making my own version of the extension
    that will play with 2.4? This is for Windows XP and I don't currently
    have a C compiler installed.

    > Fuzzyman

    Some great suggestions.

    Thanks,

    Don.
    Don Taylor, Feb 22, 2006
  5. Don Taylor

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Don Taylor wrote:
    > Fuzzyman wrote:
    >
    > > A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
    > > be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

    > Interesting suggestion that would never have occured to me. One of the
    > unzippers I tried (IZArc) did show me a directory of the contents, but
    > it would still not let me extract the files.
    >
    > > Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
    > > windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
    > > 2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
    > > can make it work under Python 2.4.

    > So I tried this and copied the files from my virtual machine to the
    > site-packages folder on my real Python 2.4 machine, I then ran into
    > there being a compiled extension.
    > >
    > > If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
    > > portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
    > > almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
    > > all with your Python 2.4 install).
    > >
    > > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

    > I could use a virtual machine with 2.3 installed, but neither option
    > appeals to me right now as I want to use the rest of my Python installed
    > stuff (and Eclipse Pydev) stuff - which is why I wanted to continue
    > with Python 2.4 in the first place.
    >
    > I have got a copy of the C source for the extension, can anybody give
    > me/point me a cookbook recipe for making my own version of the extension
    > that will play with 2.4? This is for Windows XP and I don't currently
    > have a C compiler installed.

    It means installing a compiler (but I don't see a way around that) -
    but this worked for me :

    http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

    So long as the module can be installed with distutils, the instuctions
    there will work for you. Hefty download though.

    All the best,

    Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman, Feb 22, 2006
  6. Don Taylor

    Don Taylor Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:

    > It means installing a compiler (but I don't see a way around that) -
    > but this worked for me :
    >
    > http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html
    >
    > So long as the module can be installed with distutils, the instuctions
    > there will work for you. Hefty download though.

    Oh, I was not expecting something like this.

    I wonder if anyone has tried the newish free Visual Studio 2005 Visual
    C++ Express insatll instead of all of the stuff that this link calls for
    plus mods to distutils.

    I suppose that it would too much to hope for.

    Ah well.

    Don.
    Don Taylor, Feb 22, 2006