Newbie question: Multiple installations of Python on Windows machines

Don Taylor

I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.

There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
unless I have Python 2.3.x installed. (The only way that I can install
this is to use it's .exe installer)

Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

Thanks,

Don.

Larry Bates

Don said:
I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.

There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
unless I have Python 2.3.x installed. (The only way that I can install
this is to use it's .exe installer)

Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

Thanks,

Don.
You can but it is kind of tricky. You must control the PYTHONPATH environment
variable so that it points to the correct paths for the version of python
you are running. You also will need to fully qualify the call to run
python (e.g. C:\Python23\python yourprogram.py).

I've had this working but if there is ANY way to run the other program on
another computer I would (so as to not mess up 2.4.2 install).

-Larry

Fuzzyman

Don said:
I have Python 2.4.2 installed on a Windows XP machine.

There is an application that I want to use that refuses to install
unless I have Python 2.3.x installed. (The only way that I can install
this is to use it's .exe installer)

Can I install two versions of Python on Windows, and if so is there
something I should do to make sure that the right version is used at the
right time? (2.3.x with this one package, and 2.4.2 with everything else).

A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
can make it work under Python 2.4.

If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
all with your Python 2.4 install).

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

You'll still have to get at the application files though. I have a
VMWare install with Python 2.3 on it, so I may be able to help.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Don Taylor

Fuzzyman said:
A lot of 'exe' installers are special types of zip archvies. You might
be able to open it using winzip or winrar and do a manual install.

Interesting suggestion that would never have occured to me. One of the
unzippers I tried (IZArc) did show me a directory of the contents, but
it would still not let me extract the files.
Another alternative is to use the free VMWare player to create a fresh
windows install that will run in a window. You can then install Python
2.3 and your application and extract the files you need to see if you
can make it work under Python 2.4.

So I tried this and copied the files from my virtual machine to the
site-packages folder on my real Python 2.4 machine, I then ran into
there being a compiled extension.
If the application contains compiled extensions then they won't be
portable from Python 2.3 to Python 2.4 - however the application will
almost certainly run with Movable Python 2.3 (which won't interfere at
all with your Python 2.4 install).

http://www.voidspace.org.uk/python/movpy/

I could use a virtual machine with 2.3 installed, but neither option
appeals to me right now as I want to use the rest of my Python installed
stuff (and Eclipse Pydev) stuff - which is why I wanted to continue
with Python 2.4 in the first place.

I have got a copy of the C source for the extension, can anybody give
me/point me a cookbook recipe for making my own version of the extension
that will play with 2.4? This is for Windows XP and I don't currently
have a C compiler installed.

Some great suggestions.

Thanks,

Don.

Fuzzyman

Don said:
Interesting suggestion that would never have occured to me. One of the
unzippers I tried (IZArc) did show me a directory of the contents, but
it would still not let me extract the files.

So I tried this and copied the files from my virtual machine to the
site-packages folder on my real Python 2.4 machine, I then ran into
there being a compiled extension.

I could use a virtual machine with 2.3 installed, but neither option
appeals to me right now as I want to use the rest of my Python installed
stuff (and Eclipse Pydev) stuff - which is why I wanted to continue
with Python 2.4 in the first place.

I have got a copy of the C source for the extension, can anybody give
me/point me a cookbook recipe for making my own version of the extension
that will play with 2.4? This is for Windows XP and I don't currently
have a C compiler installed.

It means installing a compiler (but I don't see a way around that) -
but this worked for me :

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

So long as the module can be installed with distutils, the instuctions
there will work for you. Hefty download though.

All the best,

Fuzzyman

Don Taylor

Fuzzyman said:
It means installing a compiler (but I don't see a way around that) -
but this worked for me :

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

So long as the module can be installed with distutils, the instuctions
there will work for you. Hefty download though.

Oh, I was not expecting something like this.

I wonder if anyone has tried the newish free Visual Studio 2005 Visual
C++ Express insatll instead of all of the stuff that this link calls for
plus mods to distutils.

I suppose that it would too much to hope for.

Ah well.

Don.