Newbie question - multiple Perl installations

Discussion in 'Perl' started by Mike O'Donnell, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. For ease of maintenance we wish to install Perl and Perl modules in an NFS
    directory. We run HP/Linux/AIX/Solaris versions. I also want to be able
    to support several versions of Perl on each platform. To do this I envision
    a directory structure something like:

    /perl
    / / \ \
    AIX HP-UX Linux Solaris

    Under each OS type I want perl versions, e.g. /perl/Linux/5.6.0,
    /perl/Linux/5.6.1

    This way if I need to add a new version or modify an existing version I
    don't have to go to all the systems that I have. (I don't want to have to
    update over 100 systems)

    Has anyone done this? What is required? I know that Perl complains about
    things like missing modules, etc. Can someone point me to a doc that
    discusses these issues? Some of the packages are binary versions and look
    for libraries under /usr/local, how is the right way to over-ride these
    settings? Can module libraries be shared in a single location? Any other
    issues I need to be aware of?

    Thanks

    Mike O'Donnell

    Mike O'Donnell, Nov 19, 2003