newbie question on limits of rss

COHENMARVIN

I read that if I make an rss newsfeed, its limited to 15 seperate
items. Is that true? I have a newsreader, and it gets more than 15
items per topic.
Thanks,
Marvin

Joris Gillis

Tempore 21:51:54 said:
I read that if I make an rss newsfeed, its limited to 15 seperate
items. Is that true? I have a newsreader, and it gets more than 15
items per topic.

I don't know anything about rss that specifically, but it's the task of the newsreader to collect and store the syndicated data. The rss shouldn't grow as more news items get added. The newsreader will collect the news items that appear in the rss and continue to display the old news that gets popped of the list in the rss file.

dingbat

COHENMARVIN said:
I read that if I make an rss newsfeed, its limited to 15 seperate
items.

Which version of RSS? Which copy of the spec are you reading? This
varies.

It's generally "good practice" that an RSS feed that you offer to other
readers should contain "around 15" items, unless it doesn't. For
general use, 15 is good. If you have a specific reason to exceed this,
then feel free to do so. RSS is a broad church, the basic protocol must
be flexible to many situations.

If you're writing an RSS reader, then it would be a bad idea to break
if it received more than 15 items. But equally a presentation of "This
Morning's News" could quite reasonably trim to 15 items.

"Old" items should certainly be dropped from a feed as they're pushed
off by newer items, or by sheer age. RSS is a transportation protocol,
not an archive.