    items per topic.
    Thanks,
    Marvin

    COHENMARVIN, Aug 30, 2005

  2. COHENMARVIN

    Joris Gillis Guest

    Tempore 21:51:54, die Tuesday 30 August 2005 AD, hinc in foro {comp.text.xml} scripsit COHENMARVIN <>:

    > I read that if I make an rss newsfeed, its limited to 15 seperate
    > items. Is that true? I have a newsreader, and it gets more than 15
    > items per topic.

    I don't know anything about rss that specifically, but it's the task of the newsreader to collect and store the syndicated data. The rss shouldn't grow as more news items get added. The newsreader will collect the news items that appear in the rss and continue to display the old news that gets popped of the list in the rss file.

    --
    Joris Gillis (http://users.telenet.be/root-jg/me.html)
    «Et ipsa scientia potestas est» - Francis Bacon , Meditationes sacrae

    Joris Gillis, Aug 30, 2005

  3. COHENMARVIN

    Guest

    COHENMARVIN wrote:
    > I read that if I make an rss newsfeed, its limited to 15 seperate
    > items.

    Which version of RSS? Which copy of the spec are you reading? This
    varies.

    It's generally "good practice" that an RSS feed that you offer to other
    readers should contain "around 15" items, unless it doesn't. For
    general use, 15 is good. If you have a specific reason to exceed this,
    then feel free to do so. RSS is a broad church, the basic protocol must
    be flexible to many situations.

    If you're writing an RSS reader, then it would be a bad idea to break
    if it received more than 15 items. But equally a presentation of "This
    Morning's News" could quite reasonably trim to 15 items.

    "Old" items should certainly be dropped from a feed as they're pushed
    off by newer items, or by sheer age. RSS is a transportation protocol,
    not an archive.

    , Aug 31, 2005