Newbie question on publishing to web server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by AAJ, Oct 11, 2006.

  1. AAJ

    AAJ Guest

    Hi all

    I've written my first site (on my local server), and just getting to grips
    with publishing. I wonder if anyone can fill in a few gaps.

    1)
    On my local server I have all my classes uncompiled and in debug mode. I run
    them by pressing 'play' or F5.
    Is there any way so that when I select Publish, the debug="true" is
    automatically removed from the web.config file as its compiled

    2)
    Once published, is there any way to compare the decompiled web site on my
    local server with the compiled one on the web server and highlight
    differences.

    3)
    As my website grows, i imagine its going to take longer to publish the whole
    thing. Should I somehow be splitting it in to smaller chunks that are
    separately compiled - it seems a bit sledgehammer/walnut publishing the
    whole site for say a small spelling change on the page.

    thanks for any help

    Andy

    p.s. I'm using vs2005 professional

    AAJ, Oct 11, 2006

  2. 1) Not that I know of.

    2) Possibly with a third-party tool, but the differences should be that the
    code is compiled and a reference to the appropriate dll is added in the page
    directive section of the aspx page. Other than that, there shouldn't be
    much.

    3) The time should be minimal in uploading. When you start to break things
    into chunks it can lead to more trouble as the chunks are often
    inter-dependent upon eachother. For example, if you had a master page you
    used for your site, you would then have to create a new master page in each
    of the chunk projects.

    You may want to look at the Web Application Project enhancement for VS.Net
    2005 (http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx). The web
    project that came with VS.Net 2005 originally wasn't as well received. It
    has some nice features, but the web application project works more the way
    it did in VS.Net 2003, compiled everything into one dll file for the project
    making it truly pre-compiled. That way if you do change something trivial,
    you can only upload the .aspx page if the change is in the HTML, or the .dll
    file for the web if you've made a change in code.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Oct 11, 2006