Newbie Question on the Basics

Vik Rubenfeld

(I hope I'm in the right forum. This is the site linked to as the forum
for Scriptaculous - http://wiki.script.aculo.us/scriptaculous/).

I have a total newbie question. I'm studying a sample application that
uses Scriptaculous for Autocomplete. It does this by putting the
following into the header of the web page:

----------
window.onload = function () {

new Ajax.Autocompleter("metal_name", "autocomplete_choices",
base_url+"add_metals/ajaxsearch/", {});

$('metal_search_form').onsubmit = function () {
inline_results();
return false;
----------

And here's the HTML:

----------
<?php
$this->load->view("header");
?>
<h2><?= $title;?></h2>
<form id="metal_search_form" method="post" action="<?=
site_url('add_metals/ajaxsearch');?>">
<label for="metal_name">Search by metal name </label>
<input type="text" name="metal_name" id="metal_name" />
<input type="submit" value="search" id="search_button" />
</form>

<?php
$this->load->view("footer");
?>

Here are my questions:

1) I don't see anything in the HTML that calls the JavaScript. What is
it in the HTML that calls the Javascript?

2) Autocomplete has to work by calling a function after every keypress.
What is it in the HTML that calls the Javascript after every keypress?

I guess those are both the same question.

Thanks very much in advance to all for any info!

-Vik