Newbie question: Panel with User control trying to access web page

Ian J.

Hi, I'm a bit of a newbie to C# and ASP.Net, so I'm having problems getting
even simple things done.

Firstly, I'm developing on WinXP, local IIS instance, using VS 2003 with
ASP.Net 1.1. What I'm currently trying to do may be completely wrong
conceptually, but I'm not sure...

I've got a 'master' asp page with single table, two rows, top row is like a
'static' header bar, bottom row in two columns. First column contains a
'static' set of navigation buttons, to load user control items into a panel
in the second column. Once a user control is added to the panel (that works)
I need to be able to click buttons on the user control to switch to other
functionality for the user (currently just me) within that same panel
control. I have several buttons on the first of the user controls, but am
having trouble getting them to switch from the user control they're on, to
load up another user control.

Am I even on the right planet with what I'm trying to do? (I kinda think I'm
trying to replicate frames functionality like where you might click on a
link and have the page linked to load up into the current frame, only I'm
trying to do it without the frames...)

Any help, much appreciated...

Ian J.

r2thej151

What most people do in your situation is define a page for each link on
your master page. Next you just place the user controls on the desired
pages. Finally, for each button on your master page, go into the
button click event and response.redirect them to the correct content
page.

I hope that helps...