Newbie Question (real-time communication between apps: audio, 3d, PD, Blender)

gregorywieber

Hi All,

I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
real time through Python?

I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
with...

My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

Thanks

-Greg

Grant Edwards

I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
real time through Python?

No.

Terry Reedy

| Hi All,
|
| I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
| general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
| capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
| real time through Python?
|
| I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
| program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
| audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
| specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
| project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
| with...
|
| My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

I would think more in terms of exchanging data packets than of exchanging
code.

tjr

Cameron Laird

.
.
.
No and yes. Two Python interpreters *can* communicate;
there are all sorts of possibilities, depending on what
one intends by "real-tine". I agree, of course, that
Python doesn't build in an explicit Python-specific IPC.

Laurent Pointal

Hi All,

I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
real time through Python?

I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
with...

My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

Plausible, with a recent PC.

I use some Java code + a research TTS engine (C) + Python code + Pure Data +
VirChor (3D renderer+interract, C++) in a TalkingHead project at LIMSI.
All these communicate via UDP, we just tries to keep amount of transmitted
data not too huge (ie. just transmit status, positions, commands...).
For the realtime side capacity, it depend on the process you need in
Python - if Python reveal to be too slow, you may write long computing code
into a separate C module or library (may see ctypes and pyrex).
Another point, if you build Python multithreading code in same process, the
Global Lock may lead to unefficient use of your computing capacities.

Note. You may take a look at OSC (Open Sound Control), there is a module for
PD and one for Python.

A+

Laurent.

gregorywieber

Thank you, everyone!

Plausible, with a recent PC.

I use some Java code + a research TTS engine (C) + Python code + Pure Data +
VirChor (3D renderer+interract, C++) in a TalkingHead project at LIMSI.
All these communicate via UDP, we just tries to keep amount of transmitted
data not too huge (ie. just transmit status, positions, commands...).
For the realtime side capacity, it depend on the process you need in
Python - if Python reveal to be too slow, you may write long computing code
into a separate C module or library (may see ctypes and pyrex).
Another point, if you build Python multithreading code in same process, the
Global Lock may lead to unefficient use of your computing capacities.

Note. You may take a look at OSC (Open Sound Control), there is a module for
PD and one for Python.

A+

Laurent.

Dennis Lee Bieber

I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
real time through Python?
I suspect you'd have to create a framework for that communication
(unless you are running under AmigaOS using Irmen's old port of Python
with the ARexx interface module -- as such communication was a native
part of the ARexx implementation [built upon the Amiga low-level message
port system] and many Amiga programs supplied "ARexx ports" [message
ports] for scripting... The scripting language was not "built-in" to the
application, only the message packing/unpacking/parsing -- though it was
also possible to have an application supply an ARexx compatible library
which allowed direct manipulation [which put things closer to Windows
COM with DLLs model]).
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/