Newbie Question (real-time communication between apps: audio, 3d, PD, Blender)

Discussion in 'Python' started by gregorywieber@gmail.com, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi All,

    I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    real time through Python?

    I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
    program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
    audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
    specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
    project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
    with...

    My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

    Thanks

    -Greg
    , Mar 30, 2007

  2. On 2007-03-30, <> wrote:

    > I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    > general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    > capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    > real time through Python?

    No.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! Yow! Is my fallout
    at shelter termite proof?
    Grant Edwards, Mar 31, 2007

  3. Terry Reedy Guest

    Re: Newbie Question (real-time communication between apps: audio, 3d,PD, Blender)

    <> wrote in message
    | Hi All,
    |
    | I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    | general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    | capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    | real time through Python?
    |
    | I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
    | program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
    | audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
    | specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
    | project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
    | with...
    |
    | My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

    I would think more in terms of exchanging data packets than of exchanging
    code.

    tjr
    Terry Reedy, Mar 31, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    >On 2007-03-30, <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    >> general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    >> capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    >> real time through Python?

    >No.

    .
    .
    .
    No and yes. Two Python interpreters *can* communicate;
    there are all sorts of possibilities, depending on what
    one intends by "real-tine". I agree, of course, that
    Python doesn't build in an explicit Python-specific IPC.
    Cameron Laird, Mar 31, 2007
  5. wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    > general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    > capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    > real time through Python?
    >
    > I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
    > program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
    > audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
    > specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
    > project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
    > with...
    >
    > My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

    Plausible, with a recent PC.

    I use some Java code + a research TTS engine (C) + Python code + Pure Data +
    VirChor (3D renderer+interract, C++) in a TalkingHead project at LIMSI.
    All these communicate via UDP, we just tries to keep amount of transmitted
    data not too huge (ie. just transmit status, positions, commands...).
    For the realtime side capacity, it depend on the process you need in
    Python - if Python reveal to be too slow, you may write long computing code
    into a separate C module or library (may see ctypes and pyrex).
    Another point, if you build Python multithreading code in same process, the
    Global Lock may lead to unefficient use of your computing capacities.

    Note. You may take a look at OSC (Open Sound Control), there is a module for
    PD and one for Python.

    A+

    Laurent.
    Laurent Pointal, Mar 31, 2007

    Thank you, everyone!

    On Mar 31, 6:43 am, Laurent Pointal <>
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hi All,

    > > I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    > > general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    > > capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    > > real time through Python?

    > > I'm running some audio experiments (for artistic purposes) in the
    > > program Pure Data (PD). I would like to use data that I extract from
    > > audio files to affect 3-d game simulations in Blender. I don't know
    > > specifically what it is I would be manipulating -- this is an artistic
    > > project, so intend to do a lot of experimenting to see what I come up
    > > with...

    > > My question(s): Is this possible, reasonable, plausible?

    > Plausible, with a recent PC.
    >
    > I use some Java code + a research TTS engine (C) + Python code + Pure Data +
    > VirChor (3D renderer+interract, C++) in a TalkingHead project at LIMSI.
    > All these communicate via UDP, we just tries to keep amount of transmitted
    > data not too huge (ie. just transmit status, positions, commands...).
    > For the realtime side capacity, it depend on the process you need in
    > Python - if Python reveal to be too slow, you may write long computing code
    > into a separate C module or library (may see ctypes and pyrex).
    > Another point, if you build Python multithreading code in same process, the
    > Global Lock may lead to unefficient use of your computing capacities.
    >
    > Note. You may take a look at OSC (Open Sound Control), there is a module for
    > PD and one for Python.
    >
    > A+
    >
    > Laurent.
    , Mar 31, 2007
  7. On 30 Mar 2007 15:38:26 -0700, declaimed the
    following in comp.lang.python:

    > I'm just beginning my exploration of Python and I have a rather
    > general question. If two particular programs have Python scripting
    > capabilities, does that mean those two programs can communicate in
    > real time through Python?

    I suspect you'd have to create a framework for that communication
    (unless you are running under AmigaOS using Irmen's old port of Python
    with the ARexx interface module -- as such communication was a native
    part of the ARexx implementation [built upon the Amiga low-level message
    port system] and many Amiga programs supplied "ARexx ports" [message
    ports] for scripting... The scripting language was not "built-in" to the
    application, only the message packing/unpacking/parsing -- though it was
    also possible to have an application supply an ARexx compatible library
    which allowed direct manipulation [which put things closer to Windows
    COM with DLLs model]).
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/