newbie question - requiring a response

Discussion in 'Java' started by Harlett O'Dowd, May 19, 2008.

  1. Please forgive this newbie question but java is new to me and I'm
    still trying to find a course in my area.

    I'm tweaking an online survey and have gotten it to display what I
    want but can't figure out how to *require* the surveyee to pick a
    choice.

    For each of ten questions, the surveyee is asked:

    _____________________________

    <select name="proposal1" size=1>
    <option>Please Choose one option from the list below</
    option>
    <option>Approve</option>
    <option>No Opinion</option>
    <option>Object - The technical approach is not sound</
    option>
    <option>Object - The proposed project duplicates previous
    and publicly reported efforts</option>
    <option>Object - the proposal is not needed</option>
    detailed response ine 'Comments' box below: </option>
    </select>

    <TABLE>

    ______________________________________

    Ideally, I'd like to script this so that if the surveyee does NOT
    choose one of the select pull-down options (or, more to the point,
    allows the default option "Please Choose one option from the list
    below" to ride) when s/he hits submit later down the page, s/he gets
    an error message instructing the user to return to the form and enter
    the appropriate answer.

    AND,

    if at all possible, if the surveyee choices the final option - "Object
    - Other - you <strong>MUST</strong> give a detailed response ine
    'Comments' box below" - the user will go to the same error page
    requesting that s/he go back and fill in the comments section for this
    proposal (in cthis case, the 'object-one' box)

    I've doen some googling on this but haven't found anything that seems
    to be a reasonable starting-off model to use.

    Thanks in advance for your help

    HOD
    Harlett O'Dowd, May 19, 2008

  2. On May 20, 7:29 am, "Harlett O'Dowd" <>
    wrote:
    > Please forgive this newbie question but java is new to me

    > Ideally, I'd like to script this ...

    Note that Java and JavaScript are separate languages.
    For the latter, try the comp.lang.javascript group.

    --
    Andrew T.
    PhySci.org
    Andrew Thompson, May 20, 2008

  3. Harlett O'Dowd

    Dave Miller Guest

    Harlett O'Dowd wrote:
    > Please forgive this newbie question but java is new to me and I'm
    > still trying to find a course in my area.
    >

    > Ideally, I'd like to script this so that if the surveyee does NOT
    > choose one of the select pull-down options (or, more to the point,
    > allows the default option "Please Choose one option from the list
    > below" to ride) when s/he hits submit later down the page, s/he gets
    > an error message instructing the user to return to the form and enter
    > the appropriate answer.
    >
    > AND,
    >
    > if at all possible, if the surveyee choices the final option - "Object
    > - Other - you <strong>MUST</strong> give a detailed response ine
    > 'Comments' box below" - the user will go to the same error page
    > requesting that s/he go back and fill in the comments section for this
    > proposal (in cthis case, the 'object-one' box)
    >

    > I've doen some googling on this but haven't found anything that seems
    > to be a reasonable starting-off model to use.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for your help
    >
    > HOD

    It sounds like you are confusing Java with JavaScript. You might have
    better luck in the comp.lang.javascript group.

    --
    Dave Miller
    Java Web Hosting at:
    Dave Miller, May 20, 2008