Newbie Question - "trusted SQL Server connection"

Greg Smith

I am just getting started with ASP.Net. I am attempting to place a dateGrid
on a page and I have done all the things I would do in a Windows
application:

- drag a connection to the form
- preview the data
- generate a data set

When I run the app I get:

"Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL
Server connection."

string strConnectionString = "packet size=4096;user
id=MyUserName;password=MyPassword;integrated security=SSPI;data
source=MAGRATHEA;persist security info=False;initial catalog=Tracker";
cn.ConnectionString = strConnectionString;
da.Fill(ds.tblInfo);

It fails on the .fill.

The above works perfectly in a WinApp but apparently the user name is not
picked up as I would have thought. There is obviously some additional
voodoo I need to do on the web side.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Chris Jackson

Your connection string contains the text "integrated security=SSPI", which
indicates that you want to use the Security Support Provider Interface. In
other words, you want to use Windows authentication. This will work fine on
your Windows applications, as long as the user who launched the application
has permissions to the database you are trying to connect to. However, the
account MACHINE\ASPNET (which is the process identity that ASP.NET runs
under by default) does not have the ability to authenticate to another
server (unless you either control the password or else get very lucky),
which is the windows authentication information you are passing. Try
removing this from your connection string if your intention is to use SQL
authentication.