newbie question - visual studio vs hand coding

CraigC

hi,

i'm a classic asp developer who is used to hand coding everything.

is there a performance hit to the code that visual studio produces compared,
especially when connecting to databases ?

i notice that vs inserts large swathes of code into the code behind file
when i drag a table from the server explorer. does this hidden code impact
on performance or is it used purely by vs and discarded before the code is
compiled ?

thanks in advance

craig

Robbe Morris [C# MVP]

The you see ends up getting compiled. You will find a
considerable speed improvement in .NET (whether you write
it by hand or via Visual Studio .NET) compared to anything
you write in classic ASP.

If you (or your company) will purchase Visual Studio .NET,
get it and use it. If you follow the guidelines and design practices,
your code will be a ton easier to support and extend.

Trust me...

--
2005 Microsoft MVP C#
Robbe Morris

Smithers

<<The you see ends up getting compiled>>
Not if he is asking about HTML.

As long as you are using VS.NET 2003, you should stick to hand-coding the
static HTML portion of your ASPX pages; that is unless you don't mind that
VS.NET 2003 creates bloated HTML and will periodically rearrange it for you
(a well-known problem). Most developers of non trivial ASPX pages use
FrontPage or Dreamweaver for the HTML portion and VS.NET 2003 for everything
else. Apparently there are claims that VS.NET 2005 does a much better job
with HTML.

-HTH

RN

I do almost all hand-coding and I definitely love have VS2003's editor for
code and debugging (stepping through), although the HTML part of the
interface sucks compared to Dreamweaver.

Kevin Spencer

I use Visual Studio.Net AND hand-code everything...

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

Craig C

Thanks for the replies guys.

Kevin, what do you mean - do you hand code EVERYTHING ?

At the moment, I'm worried about the amount of "Web Form Designer
Generated Code" that VS creates in my code behind files - will this have
an impact on the speed of my applications ?

Am I best to stick to VS or learn to code everything manually ?

Thanks

Craig

Kevin Spencer

Kevin, what do you mean - do you hand code EVERYTHING ?

Pretty much. I don't use the wizards and drag /n Drop tools very much. I do
use the toolbox to put custom controls into. And I do drag 'n Drop them. But
that's just to get the basic syntax. Then I go in and revise the code
generated by hand. And most of the work in my projects is conducted by
business classes, so the pages are pretty lean.
Am I best to stick to VS or learn to code everything manually ?

I would say both. For one thing, VS.Net has all kinds of helper tools, such
as Intellisense, which I make use of religiously. The Debugger is
irreplaceable. And you can use VS.Net to create your initial code, which you
can then "tweak" by hand. So, i'ts a real productivity booster.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Neither a follower nor a lender be.

TJS

I create code by hand and have found that hand coded work is not compatible
with VS and vice versa.
hence microsoft's multiple versions of the portal starter kit (vs and sdk,
for C# and vb).

for me, hand coding is faster.