    compiled ?

    thanks in advance

    craig

    CraigC, Feb 22, 2005

  2. The you see ends up getting compiled. You will find a
    considerable speed improvement in .NET (whether you write
    it by hand or via Visual Studio .NET) compared to anything
    you write in classic ASP.

    If you (or your company) will purchase Visual Studio .NET,
    get it and use it. If you follow the guidelines and design practices,
    your code will be a ton easier to support and extend.

    Trust me...

    --
    2005 Microsoft MVP C#
    Robbe Morris

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Feb 23, 2005

  3. CraigC

    Smithers Guest

    <<The you see ends up getting compiled>>
    Not if he is asking about HTML.

    As long as you are using VS.NET 2003, you should stick to hand-coding the
    static HTML portion of your ASPX pages; that is unless you don't mind that
    VS.NET 2003 creates bloated HTML and will periodically rearrange it for you
    (a well-known problem). Most developers of non trivial ASPX pages use
    FrontPage or Dreamweaver for the HTML portion and VS.NET 2003 for everything
    else. Apparently there are claims that VS.NET 2005 does a much better job
    with HTML.

    -HTH

    Smithers, Feb 23, 2005
  4. CraigC

    RN Guest

    I do almost all hand-coding and I definitely love have VS2003's editor for
    code and debugging (stepping through), although the HTML part of the
    interface sucks compared to Dreamweaver.

    RN, Feb 23, 2005
  5. CraigC

    Smithers Guest

    OOPS - he was in fact asking about code-behind specifically...

    Smithers, Feb 23, 2005
  6. I use Visual Studio.Net AND hand-code everything...

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 23, 2005
  7. CraigC

    Craig C Guest

    Thanks for the replies guys.

    Kevin, what do you mean - do you hand code EVERYTHING ?

    At the moment, I'm worried about the amount of "Web Form Designer
    Generated Code" that VS creates in my code behind files - will this have
    an impact on the speed of my applications ?

    Am I best to stick to VS or learn to code everything manually ?

    Thanks

    Craig

    Craig C, Feb 23, 2005
  8. > Kevin, what do you mean - do you hand code EVERYTHING ?

    Pretty much. I don't use the wizards and drag /n Drop tools very much. I do
    use the toolbox to put custom controls into. And I do drag 'n Drop them. But
    that's just to get the basic syntax. Then I go in and revise the code
    generated by hand. And most of the work in my projects is conducted by
    business classes, so the pages are pretty lean.

    > Am I best to stick to VS or learn to code everything manually ?

    I would say both. For one thing, VS.Net has all kinds of helper tools, such
    as Intellisense, which I make use of religiously. The Debugger is
    irreplaceable. And you can use VS.Net to create your initial code, which you
    can then "tweak" by hand. So, i'ts a real productivity booster.

    Kevin Spencer, Feb 23, 2005
  9. CraigC

    TJS Guest

    I create code by hand and have found that hand coded work is not compatible
    with VS and vice versa.
    hence microsoft's multiple versions of the portal starter kit (vs and sdk,
    for C# and vb).

    for me, hand coding is faster.

    TJS, Feb 24, 2005