Newbie question - what's the term for input/output to a web page?

Rachel Garrett

I'd like to write a simple application that will accept input from the
user, go out to a particular web page, and submit the user's input to
the website. The results that are displayed by the web page should
then be sent back to the application.

This seems like something where I could find some easy examples, but I
don't know what to search for -- I keep getting results for API's, web
services, etc.

Any pointers, please?

--Rachel Garrett

Ismail Dönmez

Saturday 22 December 2007 03:03:47 tarihinde Rachel Garrett şunları yazmıştı:
I'd like to write a simple application that will accept input from the
user, go out to a particular web page, and submit the user's input to
the website. The results that are displayed by the web page should
then be sent back to the application.

This seems like something where I could find some easy examples, but I
don't know what to search for -- I keep getting results for API's, web
services, etc.

Any pointers, please?

Search for mechanize.

/ismail

Rachel Garrett

Thanks to both.

The web page I am trying to work with happens to be .aspx, so there is
lots of junk to wade through -- no clear way to tell my program how to
submit information to the page. I will keep looking, though.

Bruno Desthuilliers

Rachel Garrett a écrit :
Thanks to both.

The web page I am trying to work with happens to be .aspx, so there is
lots of junk to wade through -- no clear way to tell my program how to
submit information to the page. I will keep looking, though.

You don't submit information to a page, you submit informations to a web
server - thru an HTTP request FWIW. So you have to:
1/ build the appropriate HTTP request
2/ connect to the server
3/ send your request
4/ get the HTTP response
5/ do whatever with it.

There are Python packages dealing with all this, from the lowest level
to the highest - urllib2 might be a good start. wrt/ building the
request, I suppose the "page" you're mentionning has a form. Lookup the
form's controls, and you'll know what arguments you can pass in.

HTH