    conversion? In theory, DOM looks like it could work like this; but how
    does it pan out in practice?

    Ghee

    Ghee, May 28, 2004

  2. Ghee

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Ghee wrote:

    > Hello again, comp.text.xml,
    >
    > Another newbie question, I'm afraid...
    >
    > All of the examples I've seen of XML and applications deal with
    > converting XML to and from the way your application stores data
    > internally. However, do people ever actually use, say, DOM, to hold
    > the data for the application, thus avoiding the XML->internal
    > data->XML conversion?

    I guess that web browsers do it this way, and of course XML editors ;-)

    > In theory, DOM looks like it could work like this; but
    > how does it pan out in practice?

    I don't know, but I was wonding about that, too. It looks to me as if
    it's a lot more work to directly handle the DOM tree instead of using
    an internal data format. The advantage however would be that you can
    easily leave data that your app doesn't understand or use unchanged so
    it can still write that data to the target file. This data would be
    lost if the DOM tree goes through an intermediate conversion to an
    internal data structure and back.

    Rolf Magnus, May 29, 2004