    next to a line so the user can click on it and expand that line into a more
    verbose section. Clicking on "+" again would collapse the section abck to
    the one-liner. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.
    jch, Dec 4, 2003

  2. jch

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:LXGzb.3985$>
    jch said:

    > Hello. I'm trying to do something and I don't even know what it's called. I
    > want to make a list of items and include a "+", or other suitable character,
    > next to a line so the user can click on it and expand that line into a more
    > verbose section. Clicking on "+" again would collapse the section abck to
    > the one-liner. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

    you're looking for a hierarchical tree menu type of thingy. most you'll
    come across use javascript which search engines don't support and some
    people don't have it available so be careful how you implement it.
    supply normal text links at the bottom of the page or something like
    that so people/search engines can still navigate your site.

    http://www.google.com/search?q=javascript tree menu&num=50

    if you're feeling adventurous you may want to give CSS menus a go but
    they need a modern browser (opera/NS/Moz) to work fully.
    http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

    you can also get menus that are generated on the server before being
    sent to the browser so they don't (but some do) rely on client side
    scripting to work. they'll work for everyone if they're well designed.

    --
    brucie
    05/December/2003 12:00:28 am kilo
    brucie, Dec 4, 2003

  3. jch

    Dylan Parry Guest

    jch wrote:

    > Hello. I'm trying to do something and I don't even know what it's
    > called. I want to make a list of items and include a "+", or other
    > suitable character, next to a line so the user can click on it and
    > expand that line into a more verbose section. Clicking on "+" again
    > would collapse the section abck to the one-liner. Can someone point me
    > in the right direction? Thank you.

    Kae Verens has an article explaining how to do this with a bit of
    JavaScript which, unlike a lot of other examples using JS, degrades well
    in browsers that don't support it. Check out the article here:
    <url:http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/article11>

    HTH

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Dec 4, 2003
  4. jch

    Nick Howes Guest

    > Kae Verens has an article explaining how to do this with a bit of
    > JavaScript which, unlike a lot of other examples using JS, degrades well
    > in browsers that don't support it. Check out the article here:
    > <url:http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/article11>

    indeed, it's entirely possible to program it so that browsers without
    javascript show the expanded text, which i would think would be the desired
    behaviour.
    Nick Howes, Dec 4, 2003
  5. jch wrote:

    > Hello. I'm trying to do something and I don't even know what it's called. I
    > want to make a list of items and include a "+", or other suitable character,
    > next to a line so the user can click on it and expand that line into a more
    > verbose section. Clicking on "+" again would collapse the section abck to
    > the one-liner. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

    Collapsing menus is the term generally used. An example here:

    http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/scratch/menu

    The example works perfectly in Mozilla 1.4 and Opera 7.2 although fails
    miserably in Opera 6 and Mozilla 1.0. In Internet Explorer 6 the hover
    effect doesn't work, but the menus work otherwise.

    No doubt with a bit of patience these issues could be resolved (except for
    the Opera 6 issue, as Opera's pre-Presto rendering engine couldn't handle
    reflowing of HTML) and you'd end up with a nice menu.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 4, 2003
  6. In article <bqnptj$pdo$>, "Nick Howes"
    <> writes:

    >indeed, it's entirely possible to program it so that browsers without
    >javascript show the expanded text, which i would think would be the desired
    >behaviour.

    Yes. And it is always good design practice to turn off script and see how the
    page displays to the INCREASING percentage of people surfing with script
    disabled because of, 1. virus fear due to browser security holes, or 2. script
    that doesn't work right and/or crashes the browser.

    Web pages should behave like web pages, not buggy computer programs.

    (Sorry for the rant! I feel much better now. :)

    Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
    http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm

    Jesus' Birth (and related issues)
    http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/read/birth_JC.htm
    Richard Clark, Dec 8, 2003
  7. jch

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>, richclark7
    @aol.comedy says...
    > Web pages should behave like web pages, not buggy computer programs.
    > (Sorry for the rant! I feel much better now. :)

    No need to be sorry about a rant, that is what usenet is here for.

    > Pilgrims and the Mayflower Compact
    > http://members.aol.com/RichClark7/pilgrims.htm

    Interesting, my grandparents were members of the Mayflower Society (I
    think that is what it was called) It was a group of people that were
    direct descendants of people that were on the mayflower.

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com
    Whitecrest, Dec 8, 2003