Newbie question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Chris, Feb 25, 2004.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi all

    I have to start with saying that I am not a programmer. Incidentally I am
    requiered to set up HTML pages
    on an IIS server. My problem is that I want to use a CGI program (rrdcgi for
    thos who may know this) in conjunction with
    a Horizontal menu described here
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm.
    I mentioned the CGI word above because I want to say that the pages
    generated are out of my control.

    Because I want to have the menu displayed on the top frame and the pages
    loaded on the bottom frame I have to add the below listed code to each page
    loaded in the bottom frame. Whithout doing this the menu doesn't work any
    more.

    onload="javascript:{if(parent.frames[0]&&parent.frames['header'].Go)parent.f
    rames['header'].Go()}">

    In other words the tag <body > must become the above one.

    Is there any way to do it automatically ? or to insert the code within the
    HTML code generated by some external servers ?

    Thak you
    Cristian
    Chris, Feb 25, 2004

  2. Quoth the raven named Chris:

    > a Horizontal menu described here
    > http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm.

    The demo:
    http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/horizon.htm

    "Your browser does not support script"

    This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with JavaScript
    disabled or not available. In other words, they will have no
    navigation. Bad Idea™.

    Those kinds of drop down menus are generally annoying as well. While
    viewing a page, move your mouse around the page while you're reading
    the content.

    > I mentioned the CGI word above because I want to say that the pages
    > generated are out of my control.

    If you are authoring the pages, why are they out of your control?

    > Because I want to have the menu displayed on the top frame and the pages
    > loaded on the bottom frame I have to add the below listed code to each page
    > loaded in the bottom frame. Whithout doing this the menu doesn't work any
    > more.

    Are you sure you want to use frames? Google for "frames are evil"

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 25, 2004

  3. Chris

    Richard Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > Quoth the raven named Chris:

    >> a Horizontal menu described here
    >> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm.

    > The demo:
    > http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/horizon.htm

    > "Your browser does not support script"

    > This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with JavaScript
    > disabled or not available. In other words, they will have no
    > navigation. Bad Idea™.

    Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?
    85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
    access the site.

    You see a glass of water with 50% capacity.
    You would say that the glass is "half empty", just like your brain.
    Richard, Feb 27, 2004
  4. Richard wrote:

    > Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?

    It doesn't. But the total outweighs the majority.

    > 85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
    > access the site.

    By creating a navigation system that requires Javascript, then 85% of
    people can use your site. By creating a navigation system that doesn't
    require Javascript, 100% of people can use your site.

    The total (100%) outweighs the majority (85%).

    The minority barely factors into the inequation.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Feb 27, 2004
  5. Richard wrote:
    > Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority?
    > 85% of ALL users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
    > access the site.

    They don't, no one is saying that something bad should be done to the
    85% with scripting enabled. Why is it that you think 15% of people
    should be barred from your site when no one needs to be?
    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 27, 2004
  6. Quoth the raven named Richard:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    >> Quoth the raven named Chris:

    >>> a Horizontal menu described here
    >>> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/index.htm.

    >> The demo:
    >> http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex1/hvmenu/horizon.htm

    >> "Your browser does not support script"

    >> This is what ~15% of your visitors will see; those with
    >> JavaScript disabled or not available. In other words, they will
    >> have no navigation. Bad Idea™.

    > Why is that the minority always outweighs the majority? 85% of ALL
    > users have javasrcript "TURNED ON" and therefor will be able to
    > access the site.

    So. You're willing to lose 15% of your annual business? Fine. Send it
    my way.

    > You see a glass of water with 50% capacity. You would say that the
    > glass is "half empty", just like your brain.

    No, my brain is only 15% empty, but the parts of it that use logic and
    common sense are full to the brim. Perhaps you need to wander over to
    WalMart and shop for some yourself. There's a 15% rebate on Common
    Sense this week.

    And you are once again forgetting that your most important visitor
    does not use JavaScript. The Googlebot.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 27, 2004