Newbie question

Discussion in 'HTML' started by can2002, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. can2002

    can2002 Guest

    Hi there,

    Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
    I'm not sure of the right terminology.

    I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
    some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
    form on the page.

    This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!

    Regards,
    Can
     
    can2002, Jan 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. can2002

    rf Guest

    "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote

    > Hi there,
    >
    > This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    > search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    > Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).


    Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload event
    handler on the body element.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Jan 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. can2002

    Al Jones Guest

    On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:01:37 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:

    > "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    >> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    >> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

    >
    > Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload event
    > handler on the body element.
    >

    Hey, that's more help than you gave me the first time 'round. Now I gotta
    go look see....

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
     
    Al Jones, Jan 13, 2005
    #3
  4. can2002

    rf Guest

    "Al Jones" <> wrote
    > On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:01:37 GMT, rf <rf@.invalid> wrote:
    >
    > > "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote
    > >
    > >> Hi there,
    > >>
    > >> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    > >> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    > >> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).

    > >
    > > Why don't you have a look at google's page? Hint: it's in an onload

    event
    > > handler on the body element.
    > >

    > Hey, that's more help than you gave me the first time 'round.


    <grin/>

    I thought is *was* good advice. Frames bacame obsolete 6 months after
    netscape invented them and if you use strict then you can not use deprecated
    stuff that is no longer in vogue (and validate, that is).

    > Now I gotta go look see....


    Damn. Now *everybody* is going to hijack the focus. There was a recent
    thread about this over at clj.

    What happens if the images on the page are a bit slow to load. I tab to the
    input field and start typing. When the page finishes loading suddenly the
    field gets re-focused, which puts the caret at the beginning of the field.
    What has just happened to the stuff I am buisily typing in?

    Even worse for, say, a user-id/password form. I have entered my userid and
    have tabbed to the password field. Suddenly focus is back at the userid
    field. I am now typing my password in in plain text, for all those standing
    behind me to view.

    Don't mess with the users browser :)

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.
     
    rf, Jan 13, 2005
    #4
  5. can2002

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, rf <rf@.invalid> said:

    > Damn. Now *everybody* is going to hijack the focus. There was a recent
    > thread about this over at clj.


    And one in ciwah.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
     
    Mark Parnell, Jan 13, 2005
    #5
  6. can2002

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle rf scribbled in the mud:

    > What happens if the images on the page are a bit slow to load. I tab to the
    > input field and start typing. When the page finishes loading suddenly the
    > field gets re-focused, which puts the caret at the beginning of the field.
    > What has just happened to the stuff I am buisily typing in?
    >
    > Even worse for, say, a user-id/password form. I have entered my userid and
    > have tabbed to the password field. Suddenly focus is back at the userid
    > field. I am now typing my password in in plain text, for all those standing
    > behind me to view.
    >
    > Don't mess with the users browser :)


    Don't be in such a hurry to fill in the forms. ;>

    --
    D?
    http://wipkip.biz just to raise my PR
     
    Duende, Jan 13, 2005
    #6
  7. can2002

    Richard Guest

    "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
    news:41e5a948$0$23053$...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
    > I'm not sure of the right terminology.
    >
    > I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
    > some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
    > form on the page.
    >
    > This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    > search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    > Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Regards,
    > Can


    www.google.com
    Search took 3 seconds to perform.
    http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm

    Enjoy yourself.
     
    Richard, Jan 13, 2005
    #7
  8. can2002

    Oli Filth Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
    > news:41e5a948$0$23053$...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
    >>I'm not sure of the right terminology.
    >>
    >>I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
    >>some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
    >>form on the page.
    >>
    >>This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    >>search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    >>Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
    >>
    >>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>Regards,
    >>Can

    >
    >
    > www.google.com
    > Search took 3 seconds to perform.
    > http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm
    >
    > Enjoy yourself.
    >
    >


    Once again you've failed to misunderstand what someone's said. Nice work!

    --
    Oli
     
    Oli Filth, Jan 13, 2005
    #8
  9. can2002

    Oli Filth Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> "can2002" <can2002@nospammailDOTnet> wrote in message
    >> news:41e5a948$0$23053$...
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>
    >>> Apologies for the newbie question, I've been searching for an answer but
    >>> I'm not sure of the right terminology.
    >>>
    >>> I've built a basic html page that has all my frequent links as well as
    >>> some basic javascript to allow me to do a Google search directly from a
    >>> form on the page.
    >>>
    >>> This is all working fine, my only outstanding desire is to make the
    >>> search text input field be highlighted when the page is opened (like in
    >>> Google when the search field is highlighted at the start).
    >>>
    >>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>> Can

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> www.google.com
    >> Search took 3 seconds to perform.
    >> http://www.nsftools.com/misc/SearchAndHighlight.htm
    >>
    >> Enjoy yourself.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Once again you've failed to misunderstand what someone's said. Nice work!

    ^
    ^
    understand
    --
    Oli
     
    Oli Filth, Jan 13, 2005
    #9
  10. can2002

    Toby Inkster Guest

    rf wrote:

    > Hint: it's in an onload event handler on the body element.


    And except in very specific situations, often a bad idea.

    Though in this case, as it's just for the OP's personal use, I'll let it
    slide.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
     
    Toby Inkster, Jan 13, 2005
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jerry C.
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    250
    Uri Guttman
    Nov 23, 2003
  2. Kruno Saho
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    146
    Kruno Saho
    Apr 7, 2013
  3. Dave Angel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    127
    Dave Angel
    Apr 7, 2013
  4. rusi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    114
  5. Miki Tebeka
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    85
    Miki Tebeka
    Apr 7, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page