    If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
    it wuld be great.

    TIA, Gert

    Gert van der Kooij, Apr 22, 2006

  2. Gert van der Kooij

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Gert van der Kooij wrote:
    > I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
    > it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
    > 201 - 300, ....
    > If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20,
    > 21 - 30, ......
    > After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the
    > html files, fileone should open 1.html etc.

    You need some server side scripting. Have a look at
    http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/function.readdir.php for a start.
    An alternative is to store the meta data (file name, file location) of the
    html-files in a database.
    If the html-files have the same structure you might consider creating the
    html files with the contents of a database.

    > The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
    > other site.

    If you solved the former problem, that will be an easy one :)

    --
    Nico Schuyt
    http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/

    Nico Schuyt, Apr 22, 2006

  3. In article <444a172e$0$98638$>,
    says...
    > Gert van der Kooij wrote:
    > > I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
    > > it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
    > > 201 - 300, ....
    > > If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20,
    > > 21 - 30, ......
    > > After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the
    > > html files, fileone should open 1.html etc.

    > You need some server side scripting. Have a look at
    > http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/function.readdir.php for a start.
    > An alternative is to store the meta data (file name, file location) of the
    > html-files in a database.
    > If the html-files have the same structure you might consider creating the
    > html files with the contents of a database.

    Well, this is just a one-time job. I know which files are on my system
    so it isn't necessary to create the index dynamically. I just don't know
    how to create such a cascading index.

    > > The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
    > > other site.

    > If you solved the former problem, that will be an easy one :)

    If somebody can just give me a short example it would be great. I can
    program in COBOL and REXX allready but I don't have any plans to learn
    HTML, I just need a one-time solution for this 'problem'.

    Gert van der Kooij, Apr 22, 2006
  4. Gert van der Kooij

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Gert van der Kooij wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
    > question.
    > I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
    > it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
    > 201 - 300, ....
    > If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
    > - 30, ......
    > After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
    > files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
    > The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
    > other site.
    >
    > If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
    > it wuld be great.
    >
    > TIA, Gert

    Lots of ways to approach this but take a look at this page and see if
    it's what you have in mind:

    http://edmullen.net/sidebar/MozillaHelpSidebar.html

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Apr 22, 2006
  5. In article <>,
    says...
    > Gert van der Kooij wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
    > > question.
    > > I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
    > > it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
    > > 201 - 300, ....
    > > If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
    > > - 30, ......
    > > After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
    > > files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
    > > The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
    > > other site.
    > >
    > > If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
    > > it wuld be great.
    > >
    > > TIA, Gert

    > Lots of ways to approach this but take a look at this page and see if
    > it's what you have in mind:
    >
    > http://edmullen.net/sidebar/MozillaHelpSidebar.html

    That could be a starting point but I would also like to have multiple
    levels within the expanding index. And it would also be nice if the file
    could be displayed on the same page.
    Thank you for your help.

    Gert van der Kooij, Apr 22, 2006
  6. Gert van der Kooij

    Nije Nego Guest

    On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:00:13 +0200, Gert van der Kooij wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
    > question.
    > I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
    > it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
    > 201 - 300, ....
    > If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
    > - 30, ......
    > After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
    > files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
    > The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
    > other site.
    >
    > If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
    > it wuld be great.
    >
    > TIA, Gert

    Try Google Desktop, nicely indexes anything on HD.
    --
    maybe later

    Nije Nego, Apr 22, 2006