Newbie question

Gert van der Kooij

Hi,
I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
question.
I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
201 - 300, ....
If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
- 30, ......
After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
other site.

If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
it wuld be great.

TIA, Gert

Nico Schuyt

Gert said:
I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
201 - 300, ....
If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20,
21 - 30, ......
After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the
html files, fileone should open 1.html etc.

You need some server side scripting. Have a look at
http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/function.readdir.php for a start.
An alternative is to store the meta data (file name, file location) of the
html-files in a database.
If the html-files have the same structure you might consider creating the
html files with the contents of a database.
The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
other site.

If you solved the former problem, that will be an easy one :)

Gert van der Kooij

You need some server side scripting. Have a look at
http://nl2.php.net/manual/en/function.readdir.php for a start.
An alternative is to store the meta data (file name, file location) of the
html-files in a database.
If the html-files have the same structure you might consider creating the
html files with the contents of a database.

Well, this is just a one-time job. I know which files are on my system
so it isn't necessary to create the index dynamically. I just don't know
how to create such a cascading index.
If you solved the former problem, that will be an easy one :)

If somebody can just give me a short example it would be great. I can
program in COBOL and REXX allready but I don't have any plans to learn
HTML, I just need a one-time solution for this 'problem'.

Ed Mullen

Gert said:
Hi,
I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
question.
I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
201 - 300, ....
If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
- 30, ......
After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
other site.

If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
it wuld be great.

TIA, Gert

Lots of ways to approach this but take a look at this page and see if
it's what you have in mind:

http://edmullen.net/sidebar/MozillaHelpSidebar.html

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Nije Nego

Hi,
I'm almost totally new to creating html pages, so this might be a dump
question.
I have about 600 html files on my PC and I want to create an index for
it. The index should initially display 6 entries, 1 - 100, 101 - 200,
201 - 300, ....
If I click on 1 - 100, it should display 10 entries 1 - 10, 11 - 20, 21
After clicking 1 - 10, it should display an index with links to the html
files, fileone should open 1.html etc.
The index should be on the left site of the page, the 1.html on the
other site.

If somebody can give me an example which I can use to create this index
it wuld be great.

TIA, Gert

Try Google Desktop, nicely indexes anything on HD.