Newbie question

mrstephengross

Hi all... I'm getting started writing XSD's, and I'm a bit confused by
the paradigm. I've got a system of xml elements in mind, and most of
them are pretty simple: they allow / disallow certain child elements,
and allow / disallow certain attributes. I'm confused by the simpleType
and complexType distinction--can someone point me to a good tutorial?

Thanks,
--Steve ([email protected])

Martin Honnen

mrstephengross said:
Hi all... I'm getting started writing XSD's, and I'm a bit confused by
the paradigm. I've got a system of xml elements in mind, and most of
them are pretty simple: they allow / disallow certain child elements,
and allow / disallow certain attributes. I'm confused by the simpleType
and complexType distinction--can someone point me to a good tutorial?

Do you know the tutorial the W3C provides?
<http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/>

As for simple and complex types, as long as you have an element with no
child elements and with no attributes it has a simple type but if you
need child elements or attributes it is a complex type.