    Any suggestions? I need this to work soon, but I have no clues as to where
    to start.

    TIA!
    Bryan Dickerson, Feb 4, 2004

  2. Is it perhaps a security issue where you are trying to run it on a server?

    I don't know the particulars of your app obivously but it's a first step.

    --
    Gerry O'Brien
    Visual Developer .NET MVP

    "Bryan Dickerson" <> wrote in message
    > I would imagine that this question has been posted a million and 1 times,
    > but since I'm pretty new to this group, please suffer me thru one more

    time.
    > My first VB.Net program runs great on my machine, but ultimately, it needs
    > to run on one of my company's server boxes so that it can be run on a
    > schedule. It's a short email generator to confirm sales orders with our
    > company. I created an Install project, built it and installed it on the
    > server box and tried to test it, but it gets the very helpful error

    message,
    > "An exception has been generated that cannot be handled," right after it's
    > invoked. I tried putting some message boxes in it to tell me where it's
    > bombing, but I don't even see them, so I'm inclined to think it's an
    > installation issue. The server box is running Win2K and has the Framework
    > 1.1 installed, even though according to Windows Update, it is quite far
    > behind in the "Critical Updates" section. Since it is a server, the

    network

    Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Feb 4, 2004

  3. Bryan Dickerson

    DalePres Guest

    Get a new network admin.

    DalePres, Feb 4, 2004
  4. Interesting. The box runs Win2K Server and the id that the box uses is the
    server/network admin id. There is no "Users" icon in the Control Panel. Not
    ever having worked with Win2K server, what should I or my network admins
    check for?

    Bryan Dickerson, Feb 4, 2004
  5. ROTFLOL! This is a soapbox that I WON'T go into, as I'm pretty much persona
    non grata with her.

    Bryan Dickerson, Feb 4, 2004
  6. You need to go into Computer Management by right clicking on My Computer on
    the desktop and choosing Manage.

    From the computer management screen, you will find an entry in the left pane
    for Local Users and Groups under System Tools.

    Expand that entry and choose the Users folder. Your user accounts will be
    displayed on the right.

    Right click the Users folder and choose New User to add a user to the
    server.

    This is all assuming of course that your server is a stand-alone server and
    not a domain controller.

    If it is a domain controller, you will have to go into Active Directory
    Users and Computers on the Administrative Tools menu to add a new user.

    Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Feb 5, 2004
  7. I tried to define the serveradmin as an Adminstrator on the server box and
    it didn't like the password for the serveradmin id because of a policy
    issue--which is outside the scope of this problem. I tried to run the
    program with the "Run As..." option (run as Administrator on the box) and it
    doesn't change the error. I also tried installing it on an XP box that I've
    been using as a guinea pig for testing other things and got the same error
    (the id on the XP box is also an Administrator on the box). Hmmm....

    > You need to go into Computer Management by right clicking on My Computer

    on
    > the desktop and choosing Manage.
    >
    > From the computer management screen, you will find an entry in the left

    pane

    Bryan Dickerson, Feb 5, 2004
  8. Hmmm is right.

    Do you have Try Catch Finally error handling in the code?

    If so, import the System.IO namespace and create a text log file that will
    record all errors generated and write them to the log file.

    Include a default "catch all" handler and see if it returns anything at all.

    Sorry, but this will require a rebuild of the app but you should be able to
    just replace the .exe file I think.

    Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Feb 5, 2004
  9. Bryan Dickerson

    Itai Raz Guest

    No error description? Don't you have a "details" button in the error message
    box that you can click and get a better error description? Nothing in the
    event log either? How about when you compile it in debug mode (not release
    mode, that is)? Still same "meaningful" error with no elaboration?

    Try attaching a snapshot of the messagebox (an image if you will). Maybe it
    will ring a bell.

    --itai

    Itai Raz, Feb 8, 2004
  10. Bryan Dickerson

    dumboo Guest

    how abt creating a very simple "Hello World" application and trying every
    thing all over again ??
    dumboo, Feb 9, 2004
  11. I do have Try Catch Finally error handling, but if you'll forgive my
    ignorance, how do you create a log file that will catch and log all errors?
    And how would I do a "Catch All" handler? No worries about the
    re-build--it's a very small program.

    Thanx!

    Bryan Dickerson, Feb 9, 2004
  12. Bryan Dickerson

    Itai Raz Guest

    Did you try the "cancel" button? What happens when you hit cancel? What is
    the error message you're getting?

    --
    --itai

    Itai Raz, Feb 10, 2004
  13. In terms of creating a log file, you need to use the System.IO namespace and
    use the textwriter object.

    Simply output the contents of the err object or of the errors that get
    generated in each catch block prior to handling the error.

    A "Catch All" handler is one that surrounds all other procedures or errors
    that will catch any unhandled exceptions, or an en error handling routine
    that is located in your main procedure. In this way, if any errors are not
    handled, they get sent up the call stack until they either find an error
    handler, or crash your application if none exists.

    Gerry O'Brien [MVP], Feb 10, 2004