Newbie question..

Discussion in 'C++' started by Juda, Jun 30, 2003.

  1. Juda

    Juda Guest

    C++ for the web Is this possible?

    I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
    but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
    I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
    can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
    server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
    states that C++ can be used for the web.

    Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.
    --
    The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by,
    a legitimate deduction from all the facts which
    are truly material. Whispering tongues can poison
    truth. --Coleridge

    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    - Edmund Burke

    When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one
    by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle.
    -David Sisler
     
    Juda, Jun 30, 2003
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Juda

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <> wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > C++ for the web Is this possible?
    >
    > I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
    > but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.


    You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does "used
    for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create web
    based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for the
    web"?

    > I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
    > can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
    > server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
    > states that C++ can be used for the web.
    >
    > Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.


    Actually, you're barking up the wrong tree in this group. The
    standard C++ language, which is the topic of this newsgroup, does not
    provide any support for "the web" or any other sort of networking.

    Nevertheless, many operating systems (desk top and work station, that
    is), provide their own particular system specific extensions to do
    these things, and C++ compilers for these systems provide ways to
    access these system-specific functions.

    But since these are system-specific extensions, and not part of the
    standard language, they are discussed in system-specific groups and
    not here.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    FAQs for
    comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c /faq
     
    Jack Klein, Jun 30, 2003
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Juda

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:12:08 -0500, Juda <> wrote in
    comp.lang.c++:

    > ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    > |---[From: Jack Klein <>:
    > |---[Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:39:48 GMT:
    > |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    > |---[wrote:
    > |
    > |---On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <> wrote in
    > |---comp.lang.c++:
    > |---
    > |---> C++ for the web Is this possible?
    > |--->
    > |---> I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
    > |---> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
    > |---
    > |---You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does "used
    > |---for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create web
    > |---based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for the
    > |---web"?
    > |---
    >
    > Sorry, I'll try this explanation. What I am trying to find out, if what the
    > usage of C++ on the web can be refered as. I know this is a wierd
    > question, but I have been told that "C++ for the web" is not possible,
    > has never been possible, and never will be possible."


    You still haven't explained what you mean by that term. There is no
    definition of "for the web" in the C++ language standard, nor in any
    other recognized standard that I know of.

    > I know that C++ can be used to create, support, or enhance web based
    > applications (activeX, COM), but can that usage be defined as
    > "C++ for the web".? Or is that usage differenet and not defined as
    > "for the web".


    Not until and unless you actually provide a concrete definition of the
    phrase "for the web".

    > I have been told:
    > "A web application of a C++ executable (activeX, COM).
    > Is not "C++ for the web". There is no such thing."
    >
    > I hope someone expert can help me understand if this is correct, or incorrect.
    > I would really hate to begin learning programming for the internet if this
    > person is incorrect in his assertion. I hope I was a little clearer.


    No, it's not clear what "this person" is talking about. Ask him/her
    to provide a definition of what "for the web" means. Off-hand he/she
    sounds like a pompous windbag.

    To state that something is or is not "some phrase", where "some
    phrase" has no formal definition, and without providing a definition
    for "some phrase" is meaningless.

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    FAQs for
    comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c /faq
     
    Jack Klein, Jun 30, 2003
    #3
  4. Juda

    pw Guest

    [snip]
    I think you are looking for XML, Perl, PHP type languages dude.
    These languages are interface type languages with the Web that are "run" on
    platforms usually written in other languages (like C++, VBasic etc). But
    even this is changing, Perl and PHP (as far as I know) can now be used to
    write their own application/environment. But you need to ask that to another
    person way more qualified than me.

    This NG is specifically for C++, you need to ask a question in other groups,
    try other language groups.
    comp.lang.perl
    comp.lang.php etc

    Hope this helps.
     
    pw, Jun 30, 2003
    #4
  5. Jack Klein escribió:

    > Actually, you're barking up the wrong tree in this group. The
    > standard C++ language, which is the topic of this newsgroup, does not
    > provide any support for "the web" or any other sort of networking.
    > Nevertheless, many operating systems (desk top and work station, that
    > is), provide their own particular system specific extensions to do
    > these things, and C++ compilers for these systems provide ways to
    > access these system-specific functions.


    You can write a standard C++ program that writes in the standard output
    that, when called from a web server as a cgi, produces a result "for the
    web", whitout any system-specific function or whatever.

    Regards.
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo, Jun 30, 2003
    #5
  6. Juda

    -linux_lad Guest

    Jack Klein wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 01:12:08 -0500, Juda <> wrote in
    > comp.lang.c++:
    >
    >>

    ,-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------.
    >>> ---[From: Jack Klein <>:
    >>> ---[Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 05:39:48 GMT:
    >>> ---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    >>> ---[wrote:
    >>>
    >>> ---On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:31:01 -0500, Juda <> wrote in
    >>> ---comp.lang.c++:
    >>> ---
    >>> ---> C++ for the web Is this possible?
    >>> --->
    >>> ---> I read many article on using C++ to create web based
    >>> applications.
    >>> ---> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the
    >>> web.
    >>> ---
    >>> ---You're going to have to explain what you mean better. What does
    >>> "used
    >>> ---for the web" mean to you, exactly. If you can use C++ to create
    >>> web
    >>> ---based applications, does that not mean that it can be "used for
    >>> the
    >>> ---web"?
    >>> ---

    >>
    >> Sorry, I'll try this explanation. What I am trying to find out, if
    >> what the
    >> usage of C++ on the web can be refered as. I know this is a wierd
    >> question, but I have been told that "C++ for the web" is not
    >> possible,
    >> has never been possible, and never will be possible."

    >
    > You still haven't explained what you mean by that term. There is no
    > definition of "for the web" in the C++ language standard, nor in any
    > other recognized standard that I know of.
    >
    >> I know that C++ can be used to create, support, or enhance web based
    >> applications (activeX, COM), but can that usage be defined as
    >> "C++ for the web".? Or is that usage differenet and not defined as
    >> "for the web".

    >
    > Not until and unless you actually provide a concrete definition of the
    > phrase "for the web".
    >
    >> I have been told:
    >> "A web application of a C++ executable (activeX, COM).
    >> Is not "C++ for the web". There is no such thing."
    >>
    >> I hope someone expert can help me understand if this is correct, or
    >> incorrect.
    >> I would really hate to begin learning programming for the internet
    >> if this
    >> person is incorrect in his assertion. I hope I was a little clearer.

    >
    > No, it's not clear what "this person" is talking about. Ask him/her
    > to provide a definition of what "for the web" means. Off-hand he/she
    > sounds like a pompous windbag.


    This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who asserts that there is
    such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that you weren't suggesting that I'm a
    pompous windbag and that you're referring to the person who's making this silly
    claim about "C++ for the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
    definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no discipline called "C++
    for the web". This person indicated that he had mastered "C++ for the web", but
    provided no other details. He used this term to describe his level of competance in
    C++. I've not encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
    that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?

    >
    > To state that something is or is not "some phrase", where "some
    > phrase" has no formal definition, and without providing a definition
    > for "some phrase" is meaningless.


    I agree.

    Regards,
    --
    -ll
    To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:
    http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php?sig=bcfc546011b7ee02f257318172d50f18
     
    -linux_lad, Jun 30, 2003
    #6
  7. Juda wrote:
    > C++ for the web Is this possible?
    >
    > I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
    > but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
    > I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
    > can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
    > server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
    > states that C++ can be used for the web.
    >
    > Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.
    > --


    It is possible, using platform specific extensions or functions,
    to write a program that will talk to the internet using
    C++.

    One primary difference between Java, HTML, PDF as compared
    to C++ is that the afore mention languages are interpreted.
    If the receiving platform has an interpreter for those
    "web" languages, then they can be executed on the receiving
    platform. C++ is a non-interpretive language. In order
    for a C++ source to be executed on a receiving platform,
    the code must be translated into an executable on the
    receiving platform, then executed.

    Executing a C++ source on different platforms is easier
    said than done. A _conforming_ C++ program is supposed
    to be able to run on every platform; but that depends
    on how much of the conforming stuff is implemented on
    the platform (embedded systems included).

    --
    Thomas Matthews

    C++ newsgroup welcome message:
    http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
    C++ Faq: http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite
    C Faq: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/c-faq/top.html
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
    http://www.raos.demon.uk/acllc-c /faq.html
    Other sites:
    http://www.josuttis.com -- C++ STL Library book
     
    Thomas Matthews, Jun 30, 2003
    #7
  8. Juda

    -linux_lad Guest

    -linux_lad wrote:
    > Jack Klein wrote:


    > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
    > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
    > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
    > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
    > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
    > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
    > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
    > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
    > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
    > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
    > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
    >


    FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
    left the "no" out.

    --
    -ll
    To verify that this post isn't forged, click here:
    http://www.spoofproof.org/verify.php?sig=ccc08dad82190e0bc76891ef5c230e21
     
    -linux_lad, Jun 30, 2003
    #8
  9. Juda

    Jack Klein Guest

    On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0700, "-linux_lad" <john at linuxlad dot
    org> wrote in comp.lang.c++:

    > -linux_lad wrote:
    > > Jack Klein wrote:

    >
    > > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
    > > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
    > > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
    > > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
    > > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
    > > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
    > > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
    > > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
    > > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
    > > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
    > > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
    > >

    >
    > FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
    > left the "no" out.


    Given your definition of the phrase, as corrected in this post, I
    completely agree with you. My argument with the OP was that he asked
    for agreement or disagreement with a statement using a undefined term.

    BTW, I would phrase this:

    "There is no such thing as C++ SPECIFICALLY for the web."

    --
    Jack Klein
    Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    FAQs for
    comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c /faq
     
    Jack Klein, Jul 1, 2003
    #9
  10. Juda

    Juda Guest

    ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    |---[From: Jack Klein <>:
    |---[Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:42:29 GMT:
    |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    |---[wrote:
    |
    |---On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0700, "-linux_lad" <john at linuxlad dot
    |---org> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
    |---
    |---> -linux_lad wrote:
    |---> > Jack Klein wrote:
    |--->
    |---> > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
    |---> > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume that
    |---> > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
    |---> > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
    |---> > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
    |---> > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
    |---> > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
    |---> > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
    |---> > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
    |---> > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
    |---> > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
    |---> >
    |--->
    |---> FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for the web". I
    |---> left the "no" out.
    |---
    |---Given your definition of the phrase, as corrected in this post, I
    |---completely agree with you. My argument with the OP was that he asked
    |---for agreement or disagreement with a statement using a undefined term.
    |---
    |---BTW, I would phrase this:
    |---
    |---"There is no such thing as C++ SPECIFICALLY for the web."

    I should make a correction in his post. I stated a person I knew, learned C++
    (for the web). He claimed, that there was no C++ for the web. I wanted to
    verify if there is C++ for the web, or not. Not C++ specifically for theweb,
    as he claims he has stated. The pompus windbag is the person you are
    correcting.

    Now I know you don't want to get involved in a foodfight, but I wanted toask
    the experts in this group and not some self-proclaimed expert that linuxlad
    presents himself as, whether or not my assertion was correct. It is my
    assertion that a person learned C++ for the web. His assertion was
    there is no C++ for the web.

    I defined his knowledge of programming with web development as (for the web)
    in reference to his C++ experience. The expert linuxlad, declared there was no
    such thing.

    --
    The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by, a legitimate
    deduction from all the facts which are truly material.
    Whispering tongues can poison truth. --Coleridge

    Reality is a figment of the imagination for a k00k.
    - Juda
     
    Juda, Jul 1, 2003
    #10
  11. Juda

    Juda Guest

    ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    |---[From: Thomas Matthews <>:
    |---[Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:05:03 GMT:
    |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    |---[wrote:
    |
    |---Juda wrote:
    |---> C++ for the web Is this possible?
    |--->
    |---> I read many article on using C++ to create web based applications.
    |---> but I have yet to find any that state C++ can be used for the web.
    |---> I have seen an article that shows that a program called "Neo"
    |---> can create executables and can be placed in html code to process
    |---> server commands, again, I have yet to fully see anything that
    |---> states that C++ can be used for the web.
    |--->
    |---> Can any experts help me out. Is this possible.
    |---> --
    |---
    |---It is possible, using platform specific extensions or functions,
    |---to write a program that will talk to the internet using
    |---C++.
    |---
    |---One primary difference between Java, HTML, PDF as compared
    |---to C++ is that the afore mention languages are interpreted.
    |---If the receiving platform has an interpreter for those
    |---"web" languages, then they can be executed on the receiving
    |---platform. C++ is a non-interpretive language. In order
    |---for a C++ source to be executed on a receiving platform,
    |---the code must be translated into an executable on the
    |---receiving platform, then executed.
    |---
    |---Executing a C++ source on different platforms is easier
    |---said than done. A _conforming_ C++ program is supposed
    |---to be able to run on every platform; but that depends
    |---on how much of the conforming stuff is implemented on
    |---the platform (embedded systems included).

    If someone were to create a COM object or an active X object
    or even a CGI program for the web, would it not mean he is
    using C++ for the web?

    I am not talking about placing C++ code into a web document,
    I was referring to learning C++ programming for the web. Its
    many uses, and how a person could/would learn C++ for the web.
    In that usage, would you define it as learning C++ for the web?

    I have read some posts where people have mocked the idea
    that someone might have learned C++ programming for a web
    environment. Stating that making a program in C++ for a web-based
    application (COM, ActiveX whatever) and calling it for the web,
    doesn't mean it is C++ for the web. I have a different opinion,
    that the person would be using C++ for the web, if he is making
    those objects for the internet.

    I wanted to hear some opinions from experts in C++.

    --
    The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by, a legitimate
    deduction from all the facts which are truly material.
    Whispering tongues can poison truth. --Coleridge

    Reality is a figment of the imagination for a k00k.
    - Juda
     
    Juda, Jul 1, 2003
    #11
  12. Juda

    Howard Guest

    "Juda" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------.
    |---[From: Jack Klein <>:
    |---[Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2003 00:42:29 GMT:
    |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    |---[wrote:
    |
    |---On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:31:12 -0700, "-linux_lad" <john at linuxlad dot
    |---org> wrote in comp.lang.c++:
    |---
    |---> -linux_lad wrote:
    |---> > Jack Klein wrote:
    |--->
    |---> > This argument started in another newsgroup. I'm the person who
    |---> > asserts that there is such thing as C++ for the web". I presume
    that
    |---> > you weren't suggesting that I'm a pompous windbag and that you're
    |---> > referring to the person who's making this silly claim about "C++ for
    |---> > the web". What I mean is that there is no formal distinction or
    |---> > definition of C++ specifically for the "web", and there is no
    |---> > discipline called "C++ for the web". This person indicated that he
    |---> > had mastered "C++ for the web", but provided no other details. He
    |---> > used this term to describe his level of competance in C++. I've not
    |---> > encoutered this term yet. If I'm incorrect, can someone post a link
    |---> > that describes the difference between "C++ for the web" and C++?
    |---> >
    |--->
    |---> FYI, this should read "asserts that there is no such thing as C++ for
    the web". I
    |---> left the "no" out.
    |---
    |---Given your definition of the phrase, as corrected in this post, I
    |---completely agree with you. My argument with the OP was that he asked
    |---for agreement or disagreement with a statement using a undefined term.
    |---
    |---BTW, I would phrase this:
    |---
    |---"There is no such thing as C++ SPECIFICALLY for the web."

    > I should make a correction in his post. I stated a person I knew, learned

    C++
    > (for the web). He claimed, that there was no C++ for the web. I wanted

    to
    > verify if there is C++ for the web, or not. Not C++ specifically for the

    web,
    > as he claims he has stated. The pompus windbag is the person you are
    > correcting.
    >
    > Now I know you don't want to get involved in a foodfight, but I wanted to

    ask
    > the experts in this group and not some self-proclaimed expert that

    linuxlad
    > presents himself as, whether or not my assertion was correct. It is my
    > assertion that a person learned C++ for the web. His assertion was
    > there is no C++ for the web.
    >
    > I defined his knowledge of programming with web development as (for the

    web)
    > in reference to his C++ experience. The expert linuxlad, declared there

    was no
    > such thing.


    Why the big deal? You meant one thing, he meant another. You're both
    right, just arguing over semantics. I myself have learned C++ for the web,
    and C++ for database applications, C++ for graphics, C++ for music, etc.
    But none of those are C++ *specifically* for the purpose to which I put the
    language. In other words, I did NOT learn some language called "C++ for
    music", but I DID learn C++ for the purpose of writing music-related
    applications. When you ask is there a "C++ for the web", nobody here knows
    what you mean. If you mean is there a C+ explicitly for web development,
    the answer is, well, we don't know...somebody somewhere *might* have written
    such a beast, (but it's not likely...why restrict an implementation to that
    one use?). If you're asking is C++ a language that *can* be used for web
    development, then the answer is emphatically yes...why not? As for the
    other guy saying there is no "C++ for the web", it's pretty obvious that he
    meant there is no such language or concept as "C+ specifically for the web".
    The fact that you did not mean that does not make his statement wrong, it
    just makes it irrelevant to your intended question. Let it go.

    Howard
     
    Howard, Jul 1, 2003
    #12
  13. Juda

    Juda Guest

    ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    |---[From: "Howard" <>:
    |---[Date: 01 Jul 2003 15:46:53 GMT:
    |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    |---[wrote:
    |
    |---
    |---Why the big deal?

    As a matter of correction, that person hates to be corrected.

    |---You meant one thing, he meant another.

    Yes, that is true.. however, that person didn't clarify his opinion untilI
    posed the question in here. His misunderstood was in the group the conversation
    originated in, and I wanted to clear ther air with an experts opinion.

    |---You're both right, just arguing over semantics.

    If you had read the original thread, you would wonder why he went ape shit
    over the "for the web" in the first place. Usually in the group I participate
    in the people doing the flaming are only arguing over semantics while defaming
    their enemies.

    |---I myself have learned C++ for the web, and C++ for database applications,
    |---C++ for graphics, C++ for music, etc.

    <g> don't say that to him.

    |---But none of those are C++ *specifically* for the purpose to which I put the
    |---language. In other words, I did NOT learn some language called "C++ for
    |---music", but I DID learn C++ for the purpose of writing music-related
    |---applications. When you ask is there a "C++ for the web", nobody hereknows
    |---what you mean. If you mean is there a C+ explicitly for web development,
    |---the answer is, well, we don't know...somebody somewhere *might* have written
    |---such a beast, (but it's not likely...why restrict an implementation to that
    |---one use?). If you're asking is C++ a language that *can* be used forweb
    |---development, then the answer is emphatically yes...why not?

    My original remark was about a friends knowledge in programming. My actual
    response was "ds does know C++ (for the web) idiot." I listed a post where
    he stated he knew several languages ( C++ and VC++ ,Java, Javascript, Html,
    Perl/Cgi, Coldfusion, ASP, JS script, Visual Basic.). I made the assertion that
    he has learned C++ (for the web) based on his experience that had listed.It,
    to me, seemed like a resume of a web developer, working on the web.

    The person (linuxlad) immediately came forward flaming me stating and I quote

    "Define "C++ for the web"...
    You can't because there is no such thing. C++ is an object-oriented language
    intended to create binary executable system elements. I know what you're
    going to claim (all programmers know), but save it. "

    From there on the thread got worse and worse, and I posted links to objects
    created with C++ and info on CGI programs such as these
    http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/C_and_C /
    http://www.woffordcollege.org/ecs/DataAndVisualization/CGIProgramsAndDatabases/

    However they still didn't understand, and refused to enquire what I meantwhen
    I stated "for the web". So I posted a link to a book Internet programming with
    C++ and C http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/3626.html.

    In our group, this person likes to correct people thinking he is an expert while
    stating his opponents are poisoning the group with false information. Hecalls
    it "schooling" someone everytime he does it.

    I wanted to prove to him, that my assertion of a person learning C++ ( for the
    web) was correct in the usage I had used it in. Of course, this person
    considers himself an expert in everything, which is why he changed the story
    in _here_ to state "specifically".

    I suspect, it was to save himself the embarrassment, from the experts in here.
    Once he realized he had made the mistake, the thread was dropped on our group,
    or so I think it has, I haven't pulled the headers yet.

    --
    The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by, a legitimate
    deduction from all the facts which are truly material.
    Whispering tongues can poison truth. --Coleridge

    Reality is a figment of the imagination for a k00k.
    - Juda
     
    Juda, Jul 2, 2003
    #13
  14. Juda wrote:
    >
    > ,---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
    > |---[From: "Howard" <>:
    > |---[Date: 01 Jul 2003 15:46:53 GMT:
    > |---[news:comp.lang.c++:
    > |---[wrote:
    > |
    > |---
    > |---Why the big deal?
    >
    > As a matter of correction, that person hates to be corrected.
    >
    > |---You meant one thing, he meant another.
    >
    > Yes, that is true.. however, that person didn't clarify his opinion until I
    > posed the question in here. His misunderstood was in the group the conversation
    > originated in, and I wanted to clear ther air with an experts opinion.
    >
    > |---You're both right, just arguing over semantics.
    >
    > If you had read the original thread, you would wonder why he went ape shit
    > over the "for the web" in the first place. Usually in the group I participate
    > in the people doing the flaming are only arguing over semantics while defaming
    > their enemies.
    >
    > |---I myself have learned C++ for the web, and C++ for database applications,
    > |---C++ for graphics, C++ for music, etc.
    >
    > <g> don't say that to him.
    >
    > |---But none of those are C++ *specifically* for the purpose to which I put the
    > |---language. In other words, I did NOT learn some language called "C++ for
    > |---music", but I DID learn C++ for the purpose of writing music-related
    > |---applications. When you ask is there a "C++ for the web", nobody here knows
    > |---what you mean. If you mean is there a C+ explicitly for web development,
    > |---the answer is, well, we don't know...somebody somewhere *might* have written
    > |---such a beast, (but it's not likely...why restrict an implementation to that
    > |---one use?). If you're asking is C++ a language that *can* be used for web
    > |---development, then the answer is emphatically yes...why not?
    >
    > My original remark was about a friends knowledge in programming. My actual
    > response was "ds does know C++ (for the web) idiot." I listed a post where
    > he stated he knew several languages ( C++ and VC++ ,Java, Javascript, Html,
    > Perl/Cgi, Coldfusion, ASP, JS script, Visual Basic.). I made the assertion that
    > he has learned C++ (for the web) based on his experience that had listed. It,
    > to me, seemed like a resume of a web developer, working on the web.
    >
    > The person (linuxlad) immediately came forward flaming me stating and I quote
    >
    > "Define "C++ for the web"...
    > You can't because there is no such thing. C++ is an object-oriented language
    > intended to create binary executable system elements. I know what you're
    > going to claim (all programmers know), but save it. "
    >
    > From there on the thread got worse and worse, and I posted links to objects
    > created with C++ and info on CGI programs such as these
    > http://cgi.resourceindex.com/Programs_and_Scripts/C_and_C /
    > http://www.woffordcollege.org/ecs/DataAndVisualization/CGIProgramsAndDatabases/
    >
    > However they still didn't understand, and refused to enquire what I meant when
    > I stated "for the web". So I posted a link to a book Internet programming with
    > C++ and C http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/3626.html.
    >
    > In our group, this person likes to correct people thinking he is an expert while
    > stating his opponents are poisoning the group with false information. He calls
    > it "schooling" someone everytime he does it.
    >
    > I wanted to prove to him, that my assertion of a person learning C++ ( for the
    > web) was correct in the usage I had used it in. Of course, this person
    > considers himself an expert in everything, which is why he changed the story
    > in _here_ to state "specifically".
    >
    > I suspect, it was to save himself the embarrassment, from the experts in here.
    > Once he realized he had made the mistake, the thread was dropped on our group,
    > or so I think it has, I haven't pulled the headers yet.
    >
    > --
    > The truth depends on, or is only arrived at by, a legitimate
    > deduction from all the facts which are truly material.
    > Whispering tongues can poison truth. --Coleridge
    >
    > Reality is a figment of the imagination for a k00k.
    > - Juda



    I say... I say... I say...

    Please read the FAQ's, in particular:
    http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4

    Let's be fair, Usenet is not a domain for your personal problems!
    And Juda, please remember the 5'B's, Be Brief Brother, Be Brief.

    Ozzie
     
    Ozzie Been Lurkin, Jul 2, 2003
    #14
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jerry C.
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    250
    Uri Guttman
    Nov 23, 2003
  2. Kruno Saho
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    146
    Kruno Saho
    Apr 7, 2013
  3. Dave Angel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    127
    Dave Angel
    Apr 7, 2013
  4. rusi
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    114
  5. Miki Tebeka
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    85
    Miki Tebeka
    Apr 7, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page