    Thanks

    Harry

    p.s. Im working under Linux

    Harry Knitter, Jul 23, 2004

  2. Am Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:03:47 +0200 schrieb Harry Knitter:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new with Python and would like to know how to achieve to make a Python
    > program continously listening if a certain data file is changed from
    > another program.
    > Thanks

    untested:

    import os
    import time

    file="...."
    mtime=os.path.getmtime(file)
    while 1:
    if os.path.getmtime(file)!=mtime:
    print "%s changed" % file
    mtime=os.path.getmtime(file)
    time.sleep(1)

    --
    Thomas G├╝ttler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/

    Thomas Guettler, Jul 23, 2004

  3. Thomas Guettler wrote:

    > Am Fri, 23 Jul 2004 13:03:47 +0200 schrieb Harry Knitter:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am new with Python and would like to know how to achieve to make a
    >> Python
    >> program continously listening if a certain data file is changed from
    >> another program.
    >> Thanks

    > untested:
    >
    > import os
    > import time
    >
    > file="...."
    > mtime=os.path.getmtime(file)
    > while 1:
    > if os.path.getmtime(file)!=mtime:
    > print "%s changed" % file
    > mtime=os.path.getmtime(file)
    > time.sleep(1)

    Thanks, however, how do I have to invoke this procedure avoiding the program
    remaining in this endles loop.What I want to achieve is, that the program
    does something, when the file is changed an then listening again. Meanwhile
    the user shoud be able to use the program as usual. i.e. I need this
    procedure as a background process triggering a special action.

    Harry

    Harry Knitter, Jul 23, 2004
  4. Harry Knitter <> wrote:
    > Thanks, however, how do I have to invoke this procedure avoiding the program
    > remaining in this endles loop.What I want to achieve is, that the program
    > does something, when the file is changed an then listening again. Meanwhile
    > the user shoud be able to use the program as usual. i.e. I need this
    > procedure as a background process triggering a special action.

    I don't have time at the moment to post example code, but you'll
    want to make a class of it, and make that class a thread
    (http://docs.python.org/lib/module-threading.html) so it can run in
    the background while your program does other things.

    --
    Kristofer Pettijohn

    Kristofer Pettijohn, Jul 23, 2004