Newbie Question

Jeremy Bowers

Whenever I access test.py from my browser it says "The page cannot be
found" , I have the file on /var/www/html, what did I miss?

Thanks in advance,
Joel

In general, you will need to post the relevant entries from your Apache
error log and access log. A lot of things can go wrong between your Python
script and final output.

However, if you're getting a 404, it means that you haven't associated the
URL to the file correctly. Again, a lot of things can prevent this, so
you're also going to need to post the relevant Apache configuration files.
Without that, I can't be any more specific.

I'm also concerned that you are conflating mod_python with Python CGI,
which work completely differently when it comes to associating code to
URLs. In general, you won't access a mod_python script by typing in a
URL to a file; that will either try to run it as a CGI or just display it
(depending on the configuration). But we'll work on this when you post the
necessary information and we can see what you are trying to do.

Joel Eusebio

Hi Everybody,

I'm pretty new to Python and would like to ask a few questions. I have this
setup on a Fedora Core 3 box.

Python 2.3.4
wxPython-common-gtk-ansi-2.5.3.1-fc2_py2.3
mod_python-3.1.3-5
Apache/2.0.52

I have a test.py which looks like this:
from mod_python import apache
def handler(req):
req.write("Hello World!")
return apache.OK

Whenever I access test.py from my browser it says "The page cannot be found"
, I have the file on /var/www/html, what did I miss?

Thanks in advance,
Joel

Robey Holderith

Hi Everybody,

I'm pretty new to Python and would like to ask a few questions. I have this
setup on a Fedora Core 3 box.

Python 2.3.4
wxPython-common-gtk-ansi-2.5.3.1-fc2_py2.3
mod_python-3.1.3-5
Apache/2.0.52

I have a test.py which looks like this:
from mod_python import apache
def handler(req):
req.write("Hello World!")
return apache.OK

This code looks like you are attempting to define a handler. In this case
the handler needs to be properly set up in either your httpd.conf or a
..htaccess (assuming your configuration allows for that).
Whenever I access test.py from my browser it says "The page cannot be found"
, I have the file on /var/www/html, what did I miss?

You don't access handlers like you do CGI. This problem likely lies in
your configuration and not in your code. I would look at mod_python's
documentation some more and probably start with mod_python's
PublisherHandler for initial testing and experimentation.

-Robey Holderith