Newbie question...

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Griff, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Griff

    Griff Guest

    I'm thinking about creating a "navigation tool" control for a web site.

    The idea is that individual users will only be allowed access to certain
    parts of the site, so:
    User A should see options for [catalog] [search]
    User B should see options for [catalog] [search] [budget]

    etc, etc.

    So...the question in my mind is whether the navigation control should:
    a) encapsulate the code for identifying the user and working out for
    itself which options to show
    b) the code for identifying the user should be page based and dictate to
    the control through public methods/properties what should be shown.

    I suspect that the former makes more sense as the code is written just once,
    but all the examples I've seen so far expose this control to the user
    page...if the control is on several pages then this code has to be
    replicated.

    If someone could suggest what is the preferred method...

    Thanks

    Griff

    Oh, and PS - I presume that a pre-compiled server control is also preferred
    to a user control?
    Griff, Nov 18, 2004