Newbie Question

Ross

HI guys,

I''m adding a drop down list to an existing asp page that pulls info from a db. When I click the submit button all the exisiting controls values get sasved into the db but my new control doesn''t. I realise this is a complete newb question but I can''t understand how asp is pushing the data back?

Any help much appreciated,

Regards
Ross

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Can you give us some code samples or something else that could help us
duplicate the problem or see what you're doing?

Ray at work

Ross said:
HI guys,

I''m adding a drop down list to an existing asp page that pulls info from
a db. When I click the submit button all the exisiting controls values get
sasved into the db but my new control doesn''t. I realise this is a complete
newb question but I can''t understand how asp is pushing the data back?

Bullschmidt

<<
I'm adding a drop down list to an existing asp page that pulls info from
a db. When I click the submit button all the exisiting controls values
get sasved into the db but my new control doesn''t. I realise this is a
complete newb question but I can''t understand how asp is pushing the
data back?
Perhaps be sure the listbox has a name such as:

<select name="CustUserID" size="1">

Best regards,
http://www.Bullschmidt.com

Ross O'Flangagan

Cheers for the reply guys,

Can comfirm the dropdown does have a name, "intReasonClaimingHomeless",
a bit messy below but if you copy and paste you will be able to see it.
The first control somehow is changing data at the backend, the second
which I added chages nothing.

<select name="intSpecialNeeds" tabindex="22" class = "inputStyle"
tabindex = 22 ID="Select22">
<%
if rsExistingDecision.BOF and rsExistingDecision.EOF then
rsSpecialNeeds.Movefirst
Do while NOT rsSpecialNeeds.EOF
if (rsSpecialNeeds("GroupID_tgr") = 0) then
response.write "<option value = '" &
rsSpecialNeeds("GroupID_tgr") & "' Selected>" &
rsSpecialNeeds("GroupName_tgr")& "</OPTION>"
else
response.write "<option value = '" &
rsSpecialNeeds("GroupID_tgr") & "' >" &
rsSpecialNeeds("GroupName_tgr")& "</OPTION>"
end if
rsSpecialNeeds.MoveNext
loop
else
response.write "<option value = " &
rsExistingDecision("GroupID_tgr") & " Selected>" &
rsExistingDecision("GroupName_tgr") & "</OPTION>"
rsSpecialNeeds.Movefirst
Do while NOT rsSpecialNeeds.EOF
response.write "<option value = " & rsSpecialNeeds("GroupID_tgr")
& ">" & rsSpecialNeeds("GroupName_tgr") & "</OPTION>"
rsSpecialNeeds.MoveNext
loop
end if
%>
</select>
<select name="intReasonClaimingHomeless" tabindex="23" class
= "inputStyle" tabindex = 23 ID="Select43">
<%
Response.Write "<option>" & strshowblank &"</option>"
if rsExistingDecision.BOF and rsExistingDecision.EOF then

rsReasonClaimingHomeless.Movefirst
Do while NOT rsReasonClaimingHomeless.EOF
response.write "<option value = '" &
rsReasonClaimingHomeless("ReasonClaimingHomelessID_rch") & "' >" &
rsReasonClaimingHomeless("ReasonClaimingHomeless_rch")& "</OPTION>"
rsReasonClaimingHomeless.MoveNext
loop
else
response.write "<option value = " &
rsExistingDecision("ReasonClaimingHomelessID_rch") & " Selected>" &
rsExistingDecision("ReasonClaimingHomeless_rch") & "</OPTION>"
rsReasonClaimingHomeless.Movefirst
Do while NOT rsReasonClaimingHomeless.EOF
response.write "<option value = " &
rsReasonClaimingHomeless("ReasonClaimingHomelessID_rch") & ">" &
rsReasonClaimingHomeless("ReasonClaimingHomeless_rch") & "</OPTION>"
rsReasonClaimingHomeless.MoveNext
loop
end if
%>
</select>

Again any help much I appreciated, I just cant get me head around how
data from the first control is getting posted to the database?

Regards
Ross