newbie question

Cheez

Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
and that installation was a bit more straightforward.

My OS is Windows 2000.

I know I have to compile the Perl source code. I downloaded the
appropriate source (5.8.2) for win32. I have never used C, so I am
not that familiar with a C compiler although I certainly use the javac
from Java. So I followed the instructions to download a C compiler,
in this case Mingw32 with GCC (gcc-2.95-mingw32.zip). I also
downloaded a filemaker called dmaker from CPAN. Do I use this
filemaker to make a file from the Perl source code, then compile? I
don't have any experience with a C compiler or dmaker. Is there
anything out there to make this part a bit less confusing?

The README.win32 that came with the source code, quite frankly, is
made for someone a tad bit more savvy than myself. Is there any
super-novice, spoon-feeding types of installation tutorials out there?
Any help, advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Of
course if this type of email is inappropriate for this NG please let
me know!

Happy New Year,
Cheez

Jürgen Exner

Cheez said:
Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
and that installation was a bit more straightforward.

My OS is Windows 2000.

I know I have to compile the Perl source code. [...]

Well, if you insist on doing it the hard way, then yes.
Otherwise you could just go to ActiveState.com and install a pre-compiled
version for Windows from there.

jue

Rick Nakroshis

Cheez said:
Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
and that installation was a bit more straightforward.

My OS is Windows 2000.

I know I have to compile the Perl source code. [...]

Well, if you insist on doing it the hard way, then yes.
Otherwise you could just go to ActiveState.com and install a
pre-compiled version for Windows from there.

I have to agree. You're just making it much harder for yourself.
Definately get it from Activestate and you'll be much happier.

Rick

Tintin

Cheez said:
Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
and that installation was a bit more straightforward.

My OS is Windows 2000.

I know I have to compile the Perl source code. I downloaded the
appropriate source (5.8.2) for win32. I have never used C, so I am
not that familiar with a C compiler although I certainly use the javac
from Java. So I followed the instructions to download a C compiler,
in this case Mingw32 with GCC (gcc-2.95-mingw32.zip). I also
downloaded a filemaker called dmaker from CPAN. Do I use this
filemaker to make a file from the Perl source code, then compile? I
don't have any experience with a C compiler or dmaker. Is there
anything out there to make this part a bit less confusing?

Why go a build a car from scratch by visiting all the car parts manufactors
when you can simply go to the ActiveState showroom and drive away in a car
already assembled.

Web Surfer

[This followup was posted to comp.lang.perl.misc]

cheez2112 said:
[...]

You do NOT have to compile Perl. You can go to Activestate.com and get a
"binary" distribution. That means that after you run the installation
program Perl is ready to run, no compiling is required. I have done this
on several operating systems and it has always worked perfectly.

Cheez

Yes! Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. This is exactly
the answer I was looking for!

Cheers!
-Cheez