newbie question

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Cheez, Jan 1, 2004.

  1. Cheez

    Cheez Guest

    Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
    complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
    and that installation was a bit more straightforward.

    My OS is Windows 2000.

    I know I have to compile the Perl source code. I downloaded the
    appropriate source (5.8.2) for win32. I have never used C, so I am
    not that familiar with a C compiler although I certainly use the javac
    from Java. So I followed the instructions to download a C compiler,
    in this case Mingw32 with GCC (gcc-2.95-mingw32.zip). I also
    downloaded a filemaker called dmaker from CPAN. Do I use this
    filemaker to make a file from the Perl source code, then compile? I
    don't have any experience with a C compiler or dmaker. Is there
    anything out there to make this part a bit less confusing?

    The README.win32 that came with the source code, quite frankly, is
    made for someone a tad bit more savvy than myself. Is there any
    super-novice, spoon-feeding types of installation tutorials out there?
    Any help, advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Of
    course if this type of email is inappropriate for this NG please let
    me know!

    Happy New Year,
    Cheez

    Cheez, Jan 1, 2004

  2. Cheez wrote:
    > Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
    > complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
    > and that installation was a bit more straightforward.
    >
    > My OS is Windows 2000.
    >
    > I know I have to compile the Perl source code. [...]

    Well, if you insist on doing it the hard way, then yes.
    Otherwise you could just go to ActiveState.com and install a pre-compiled
    version for Windows from there.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 1, 2004

  3. "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in

    > Cheez wrote:
    >> Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
    >> complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
    >> and that installation was a bit more straightforward.
    >>
    >> My OS is Windows 2000.
    >>
    >> I know I have to compile the Perl source code. [...]

    > Well, if you insist on doing it the hard way, then yes.
    > Otherwise you could just go to ActiveState.com and install a
    > pre-compiled version for Windows from there.

    I have to agree. You're just making it much harder for yourself.
    Definately get it from Activestate and you'll be much happier.

    Rick

    Rick Nakroshis, Jan 1, 2004
  4. Cheez

    Tintin Guest

    "Cheez" <> wrote in message
    > Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
    > complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
    > and that installation was a bit more straightforward.
    >
    > My OS is Windows 2000.
    >
    > I know I have to compile the Perl source code. I downloaded the
    > appropriate source (5.8.2) for win32. I have never used C, so I am
    > not that familiar with a C compiler although I certainly use the javac
    > from Java. So I followed the instructions to download a C compiler,
    > in this case Mingw32 with GCC (gcc-2.95-mingw32.zip). I also
    > downloaded a filemaker called dmaker from CPAN. Do I use this
    > filemaker to make a file from the Perl source code, then compile? I
    > don't have any experience with a C compiler or dmaker. Is there
    > anything out there to make this part a bit less confusing?

    Why go a build a car from scratch by visiting all the car parts manufactors
    when you can simply go to the ActiveState showroom and drive away in a car
    already assembled.

    Tintin, Jan 1, 2004
  5. Cheez

    Web Surfer Guest

    [This followup was posted to comp.lang.perl.misc]

    In article <>, cheez2112
    @yahoo.com says...
    > Howdy, I am a newbie to perl and pretty much overwhelmed at the
    > complexity of even installing perl. I have an ok background in Java
    > and that installation was a bit more straightforward.
    >
    > My OS is Windows 2000.
    >
    > I know I have to compile the Perl source code. I downloaded the
    > appropriate source (5.8.2) for win32. I have never used C, so I am
    > not that familiar with a C compiler although I certainly use the javac
    > from Java. So I followed the instructions to download a C compiler,
    > in this case Mingw32 with GCC (gcc-2.95-mingw32.zip). I also
    > downloaded a filemaker called dmaker from CPAN. Do I use this
    > filemaker to make a file from the Perl source code, then compile? I
    > don't have any experience with a C compiler or dmaker. Is there
    > anything out there to make this part a bit less confusing?
    >
    > The README.win32 that came with the source code, quite frankly, is
    > made for someone a tad bit more savvy than myself. Is there any
    > super-novice, spoon-feeding types of installation tutorials out there?
    > Any help, advice or suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Of
    > course if this type of email is inappropriate for this NG please let
    > me know!
    >
    > Happy New Year,
    > Cheez

    You do NOT have to compile Perl. You can go to Activestate.com and get a
    "binary" distribution. That means that after you run the installation
    program Perl is ready to run, no compiling is required. I have done this
    on several operating systems and it has always worked perfectly.

    Web Surfer, Jan 1, 2004
  6. Cheez

    Cheez Guest

    Yes! Thanks to everyone who responded to this post. This is exactly
    the answer I was looking for!

    Cheers!
    -Cheez

    Cheez, Jan 2, 2004