Newbie Question

Ed_Zep

Hi,
I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
I'm installing as ROOT:

Data-Dumper-2.121
libnet-1.20
DBI-1.53
DBD-Oracle-1.19

but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:

DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
root is correct.

I've read the README, too... :)

Any ideas? Many thanks, Ed.

perl Makefile.PL

Writing Makefile for Data::Dumper

make
gcc -c -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -
fno-strict- aliasing -I/usr/local/include -
D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/
usr/ include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -
mcpu=i686 -DVERSION=\"2.121\" -DXS_VERS ION=
\"2.121\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/
CORE" Dump er.c
Running Mkbootstrap for Data::Dumper ()
chmod 644 Dumper.bs
rm -f blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so
gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib Dumper.o -o blib/arch/auto/Data/
Dumper/
Dumper.so
chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so
cp Dumper.bs blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bs
chmod 644 blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bs

make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
"test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/
*.t
t/dumper......ok
t/overload....ok
t/pair........ok
All tests successful.
Files=3, Tests=373, 0 wallclock secs ( 0.26 cusr + 0.04 csys =
0.30
CPU)
[root@millie Data-Dumper-2.121]# make install
Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into
architecture depende nt library tree
Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/
Data/Dumper/ .packlist
Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-
thread-
multi/perl local.pod

Paul Lalli

Subject: Newbie Question

Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
tells us nothing about your question.
I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
I'm installing as ROOT:

Data-Dumper-2.121
libnet-1.20
DBI-1.53
DBD-Oracle-1.19

but when I check what's been installed

How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?
, all I get is:

DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.
The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
root is correct.

I've read the README, too... :)

You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
at?

Have you read:
perldoc perlmodlib
and
perldoc -q installed
?

perl -MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new-
modules()'
will show all non-core modules installed.

Paul Lalli

Ed_Zep

Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
tells us nothing about your question.

How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?

Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.

You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
at?

Have you read:
perldoc perlmodlib
and
perldoc -q installed
?

perl -MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new->modules()'

will show all non-core modules installed.

Paul Lalli

Thanks, as explained I am a newbie. I read the README for all of the
modules. I'll run those commands and see what I get back.
Regards, Ed.

Mumia W.

Hi,
I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
I'm installing as ROOT:

Data-Dumper-2.121
libnet-1.20
DBI-1.53
DBD-Oracle-1.19

but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:

DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
[...]

If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
installed successfully:

perl -MData::Dumper -e 1

Ed_Zep

Hi,
I'm trying to install a few modules to getPerlon RH Linux AS 3.0 to
speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
I'm installing as ROOT:

but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:
DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
[...]

If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
installed successfully:

perl-MData::Dumper -e 1

Thanks very much, it didn't!

Regards, Ed.

Paul Lalli

Hi,
I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
I'm installing as ROOT:

but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:
DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
[...]

If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
installed successfully:

perl -MData::Dumper -e 1

This is a poor example, as Data::Dumper is a core module. If that
module isn't found, the entire Perl installation is borked. I have to
assume that the user was trying to install an updated version of the
module, one that doesn't come with Perl (though I've not actually
checked version numbers to verify that).

If you want to check that you've correctly installed a specfic version
of the module, try:
perl -MData::Dumper -le'print $Data::Dumper::VERSION'

Paul Lalli

Paul Lalli

Thanks, as explained I am a newbie. I read the README for all of the
modules. I'll run those commands and see what I get back.

Arg. I don't want to start a flame war, so I'll be as calm as
possible here - "being a newbie" is not justification for this type of
post. Saying "I checked what's been installed" without providing any
means of knowing what the heck you're talking about has nothing to do
with not knowing Perl. It has to do with not thinking about how your
post is going to be read by anyone who's not you. Typing a subject of
"Newbie question" that tells us nothing about what your question
actually is has nothing to do with not knowing Perl. It has to do
with not putting any thought into your post. Asking thousands of
people around the world a question before checking the built-in
documentation to see if your specific question is answered has nothing
to do with not knowing Perl. If you somehow didn't know perldoc
exists, you should yell (a lot) at your teacher. For future
reference, all of Perl's documentation is available to you via the
perldoc command. Read more about it and all its uses at:
perldoc perldoc

If the above offends you, you have my apologies, and you should feel
free to ignore it and any other advice I might be able to offer. I
hope, however, that you will instead take it under consideration,
rather than react with, "boy what an asshole *that* guy is!".

Paul Lalli

Jürgen Exner

I've noticed that from a Windows cmd prompt I need to double-quote the
command. But I don't know why.

Because that is the way the Windows command shell works.

jue

Ed_Zep

[...]

Paul Lalli- Hide quoted text -

Hi Paul, no that's fair comment! I didn't know Perldoc didn't exist
and I don't have a Perl teacher! My only exposure to Perl is running a
single script, as my background is Oracle DBA.
The help from yourself and others is most appreciated.
Ed.