Newbie Question

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ed_Zep, Feb 22, 2007.

  1. Ed_Zep

    Ed_Zep Guest

    Hi,
    I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    I'm installing as ROOT:

    Data-Dumper-2.121
    libnet-1.20
    DBI-1.53
    DBD-Oracle-1.19

    but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:

    DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

    The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
    root is correct.

    I've read the README, too... :)

    Any ideas? Many thanks, Ed.

    perl Makefile.PL

    Writing Makefile for Data::Dumper

    make
    gcc -c -D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -
    fno-strict- aliasing -I/usr/local/include -
    D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -I/
    usr/ include/gdbm -O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -
    mcpu=i686 -DVERSION=\"2.121\" -DXS_VERS ION=
    \"2.121\" -fPIC "-I/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/
    CORE" Dump er.c
    Running Mkbootstrap for Data::Dumper ()
    chmod 644 Dumper.bs
    rm -f blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so
    gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib Dumper.o -o blib/arch/auto/Data/
    Dumper/
    Dumper.so
    chmod 755 blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.so
    cp Dumper.bs blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bs
    chmod 644 blib/arch/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bs

    make test
    PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e"
    "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/
    *.t
    t/dumper......ok
    t/overload....ok
    t/pair........ok
    All tests successful.
    Files=3, Tests=373, 0 wallclock secs ( 0.26 cusr + 0.04 csys =
    0.30
    CPU)
    [root@millie Data-Dumper-2.121]# make install
    Files found in blib/arch: installing files in blib/lib into
    architecture depende nt library tree
    Writing /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/
    Data/Dumper/ .packlist
    Appending installation info to /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-
    thread-
    multi/perl local.pod
    Ed_Zep, Feb 22, 2007

  2. Ed_Zep

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Feb 22, 6:35 am, "Ed_Zep" <> wrote:
    > Subject: Newbie Question

    Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
    tells us nothing about your question.

    > I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > I'm installing as ROOT:
    >
    > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > libnet-1.20
    > DBI-1.53
    > DBD-Oracle-1.19
    >
    > but when I check what's been installed

    How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?

    > , all I get is:
    >
    > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

    Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
    modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.

    > The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
    > root is correct.
    >
    > I've read the README, too... :)

    You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
    at?

    Have you read:
    perldoc perlmodlib
    and
    perldoc -q installed
    ?

    perl -MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new-
    >modules()'

    will show all non-core modules installed.

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Feb 22, 2007

  3. Ed_Zep

    Ed_Zep Guest

    On Feb 22, 2:16 pm, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 6:35 am, "Ed_Zep" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Subject: Newbie Question

    > Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
    > tells us nothing about your question.
    >
    > > I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > > I'm installing as ROOT:

    > > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > > libnet-1.20
    > > DBI-1.53
    > > DBD-Oracle-1.19

    > > but when I check what's been installed

    > How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?
    >
    > > , all I get is:

    > > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

    > Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
    > modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.
    >
    > > The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
    > > root is correct.

    > > I've read the README, too... :)

    > You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
    > at?
    >
    > Have you read:
    > perldoc perlmodlib
    > and
    > perldoc -q installed
    > ?
    >
    > perl -MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new->modules()'
    >
    > will show all non-core modules installed.
    >
    > Paul Lalli

    Thanks, as explained I am a newbie. I read the README for all of the
    modules. I'll run those commands and see what I get back.
    Regards, Ed.
    Ed_Zep, Feb 22, 2007
  4. Ed_Zep

    Mumia W. Guest

    On 02/22/2007 05:35 AM, Ed_Zep wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > I'm installing as ROOT:
    >
    > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > libnet-1.20
    > DBI-1.53
    > DBD-Oracle-1.19
    >

    > but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:
    >
    > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
    > [...]

    If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
    installed successfully:

    perl -MData::Dumper -e 1

    --
    Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:
    http://www.badvista.org/
    Mumia W., Feb 22, 2007
  5. Ed_Zep

    Ed_Zep Guest

    On Feb 22, 3:15 pm, "Mumia W." <paduille.4060.mumia.w
    > wrote:
    > On 02/22/2007 05:35 AM,Ed_Zepwrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm trying to install a few modules to getPerlon RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > > I'm installing as ROOT:

    > > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > > libnet-1.20
    > > DBI-1.53
    > > DBD-Oracle-1.19

    > > but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:

    > > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
    > > [...]

    > If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
    > installed successfully:
    >
    > perl-MData::Dumper -e 1
    >
    > --
    > Windows Vista and your freedom in conflict:http://www.badvista.org/

    Thanks very much, it didn't!

    Regards, Ed.
    Ed_Zep, Feb 22, 2007
  6. Ed_Zep

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Feb 22, 10:15 am, "Mumia W." <paduille.4060.mumia.w
    > wrote:
    > On 02/22/2007 05:35 AM, Ed_Zep wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > > I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > > I'm installing as ROOT:

    > > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > > libnet-1.20
    > > DBI-1.53
    > > DBD-Oracle-1.19

    > > but when I check what's been installed, all I get is:

    > > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge
    > > [...]

    > If this command does not generate an error, Data::Dumper has been
    > installed successfully:
    >
    > perl -MData::Dumper -e 1

    This is a poor example, as Data::Dumper is a core module. If that
    module isn't found, the entire Perl installation is borked. I have to
    assume that the user was trying to install an updated version of the
    module, one that doesn't come with Perl (though I've not actually
    checked version numbers to verify that).

    If you want to check that you've correctly installed a specfic version
    of the module, try:
    perl -MData::Dumper -le'print $Data::Dumper::VERSION'

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Feb 22, 2007
  7. Ed_Zep

    Paul Lalli Guest

    On Feb 22, 10:09 am, "Ed_Zep" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 2:16 pm, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Feb 22, 6:35 am, "Ed_Zep" <> wrote:

    > > > Subject: Newbie Question

    > > Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
    > > tells us nothing about your question.

    > > > I'm trying to install a few modules to get Perl on RH Linux AS 3.0 to
    > > > speak to an Oracle 9.2.0.6 database.
    > > > I'm installing as ROOT:

    > > > Data-Dumper-2.121
    > > > libnet-1.20
    > > > DBI-1.53
    > > > DBD-Oracle-1.19

    > > > but when I check what's been installed

    > > How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?

    > > > , all I get is:

    > > > DBM, ExampleP, File, Proxy, Sponge

    > > Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
    > > modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.

    > > > The script will be run by the oracle user but surely installing as
    > > > root is correct.

    > > > I've read the README, too... :)

    > > You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
    > > at?

    > > Have you read:
    > > perldoc perlmodlib
    > > and
    > > perldoc -q installed
    > > ?

    > > perl -MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new->modules()'

    > > will show all non-core modules installed.

    > Thanks, as explained I am a newbie. I read the README for all of the
    > modules. I'll run those commands and see what I get back.

    Arg. I don't want to start a flame war, so I'll be as calm as
    possible here - "being a newbie" is not justification for this type of
    post. Saying "I checked what's been installed" without providing any
    means of knowing what the heck you're talking about has nothing to do
    with not knowing Perl. It has to do with not thinking about how your
    post is going to be read by anyone who's not you. Typing a subject of
    "Newbie question" that tells us nothing about what your question
    actually is has nothing to do with not knowing Perl. It has to do
    with not putting any thought into your post. Asking thousands of
    people around the world a question before checking the built-in
    documentation to see if your specific question is answered has nothing
    to do with not knowing Perl. If you somehow didn't know perldoc
    exists, you should yell (a lot) at your teacher. For future
    reference, all of Perl's documentation is available to you via the
    perldoc command. Read more about it and all its uses at:
    perldoc perldoc

    If the above offends you, you have my apologies, and you should feel
    free to ignore it and any other advice I might be able to offer. I
    hope, however, that you will instead take it under consideration,
    rather than react with, "boy what an asshole *that* guy is!".

    Paul Lalli
    Paul Lalli, Feb 22, 2007
  8. Ed_Zep

    Guest

    On Feb 22, 9:42 am, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:
    > perl -MData::Dumper -le'print $Data::Dumper::VERSION'

    I've noticed that from a Windows cmd prompt I need to double-quote the
    command. But I don't know why.

    David Filmer (http://DavidFilmer.com)
    , Feb 22, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 9:42 am, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:
    >> perl -MData::Dumper -le'print $Data::Dumper::VERSION'

    > I've noticed that from a Windows cmd prompt I need to double-quote the
    > command. But I don't know why.

    Because that is the way the Windows command shell works.

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Ed_Zep

    Ed_Zep Guest

    On Feb 22, 5:47 pm, "Paul Lalli" <> wrote:
    > On Feb 22, 10:09 am, "Ed_Zep" <> wrote:

    > > > Please put the subject of your post in the Subject of your post. This
    > > > tells us nothing about your question.

    > > > How, exactly, are you "checking what's been installed"?

    > > > Well then pretty clearly you're either not correctly installing the
    > > > modules or not correctly checking for what modules you have installed.

    > > > You say that as though there's only one. Which readme are you looking
    > > > at?

    > > > Have you read:
    > > > perldoc perlmodlib
    > > > and
    > > > perldoc -q installed
    > > > ?

    > > >perl-MExtUtils::Installed -le'print for sort ExtUtils::Installed->new->modules()'

    > > > will show all non-core modules installed.

    > > Thanks, as explained I am a newbie. I read the README for all of the
    > > modules. I'll run those commands and see what I get back.

    > Arg. I don't want to start a flame war, so I'll be as calm as
    > possible here - "being a newbie" is not justification for this type of
    > post. Saying "I checked what's been installed" without providing any
    > means of knowing what the heck you're talking about has nothing to do
    > with not knowingPerl. It has to do with not thinking about how your
    > post is going to be read by anyone who's not you. Typing a subject of
    > "Newbie question" that tells us nothing about what your question
    > actually is has nothing to do with not knowingPerl. It has to do
    > with not putting any thought into your post. Asking thousands of
    > people around the world a question before checking the built-in
    > documentation to see if your specific question is answered has nothing
    > to do with not knowingPerl. If you somehow didn't know perldoc
    > exists, you should yell (a lot) at your teacher. For future
    > reference, all ofPerl'sdocumentation is available to you via the
    > perldoc command. Read more about it and all its uses at:
    > perldoc perldoc
    >
    > If the above offends you, you have my apologies, and you should feel
    > free to ignore it and any other advice I might be able to offer. I
    > hope, however, that you will instead take it under consideration,
    > rather than react with, "boy what an asshole *that* guy is!".
    >
    > Paul Lalli- Hide quoted text -

    Hi Paul, no that's fair comment! I didn't know Perldoc didn't exist
    and I don't have a Perl teacher! My only exposure to Perl is running a
    single script, as my background is Oracle DBA.
    The help from yourself and others is most appreciated.
    Ed.
    Ed_Zep, Feb 26, 2007