newbie questions about security

Guest

1. If I run a Java Program (not Applet) locally in my PC, I can open/write/read files, Yes?
2. If I run a Java Program (not Applet) locally in my PC, can I connect/send/receive to remote servers?

3. If I run a Java Applet from server A (Web), and I need services from server B (Irc), what I can do?
4. Can I send a file from local to Applet's server?

5. I know I need something certificate. Its correct?
6. Where can I found one?
7. If I found one can I put it in all my Applets?

thanks a lot

Chris Smith

1. If I run a Java Program (not Applet) locally in my PC, I
can open/write/read files, Yes?

Generally speaking, yes. Technically, it's up to the security manager
installed in the VM, but unless you go to pains to set up a security
manager that does NOT allow this, then yes, you can do so.
2. If I run a Java Program (not Applet) locally in my PC,
can I connect/send/receive to remote servers?

Same answer as above. Generally speaking, yes.
3. If I run a Java Applet from server A (Web), and I need
services from server B (Irc), what I can do?

You need to convince the security manager to let you do this. Normally,
this involves obtaining a certificate from a respected certificate
authority, and then digitally signing your applet to verify your
identity, and then requesting that you be able to do something that the
security manager would otherwise prohibit.

This looks like a good resource (I haven't read it, though):

http://www.suitable.com/docs/signing.html

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation