Newbie questions - sorry - re database to xml using external schema

mrjjohnson

Hi.

I need have to export an Access2000 table to XML using a schema that
has been provided by a third party to which the XML must comply
exactly. I can upsize this database to SQL.

What I'd like a few tips on is how to export the data of a table into
XML that is completely compliant with the provided schema.

Is it easy to do from scratch or would some 3rd party application be
best?

Thanks for any advice.

Peter Flynn

Hi.

I need have to export an Access2000 table to XML using a schema that
has been provided by a third party to which the XML must comply
exactly. I can upsize this database to SQL.

What I'd like a few tips on is how to export the data of a table into
XML that is completely compliant with the provided schema.

If the Schema you have been given has been designed for the table
you have to export then there should be some documentation about
which fields go into which elements or attributes. If not, ask for it.

If it's some other Schema that was not designed specifically for the
table, then you will have to work out by inspection what to put where.
If you're lucky, your supplier will be able to help. If not, it may be
largely educated guesswork and deduction.

Example: if there is a field called invoiceNumber and an element type
called INV-NO, then it should be fairly obvious what to do.
Is it easy to do from scratch or would some 3rd party application be
best?

Writing the code is probably near-trivial. Making the decisions about
how best to represent each field in the target structure is a human
intellectual activity and no computer application is going to help
unless both database designer and Schema designer have been working
to one of the de jure standards like ISO 11179 or one of the de facto
commercial standards provided by Microsoft, RosettaNet, etc.

///Peter

mrjjohnson

Thanks Peter.

No, the Schema has not been designed for the table, this is a bespoke
in-house system. However, it is easy for me to decide "what goes
where"; I was really wondering whether a third-party app like the
Altova suite would be worthwhile investigating or whether the code is
indeed "near-trivial".

I will look at the URL in your sig too.

Thanks again.

spiff

Hi!

MapForce from Altova could do the task for you.

Although the plain mapping is not so difficult in your case it takes a
while to put all things together. Reading the database, maybe encoding
issues, writing the xml, validating ...

Regards