    best?

    Thanks for any advice.
    , Nov 29, 2005

  2. Peter Flynn Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi.
    >
    > I need have to export an Access2000 table to XML using a schema that
    > has been provided by a third party to which the XML must comply
    > exactly. I can upsize this database to SQL.
    >
    > What I'd like a few tips on is how to export the data of a table into
    > XML that is completely compliant with the provided schema.

    If the Schema you have been given has been designed for the table
    you have to export then there should be some documentation about
    which fields go into which elements or attributes. If not, ask for it.

    If it's some other Schema that was not designed specifically for the
    table, then you will have to work out by inspection what to put where.
    If you're lucky, your supplier will be able to help. If not, it may be
    largely educated guesswork and deduction.

    Example: if there is a field called invoiceNumber and an element type
    called INV-NO, then it should be fairly obvious what to do.

    > Is it easy to do from scratch or would some 3rd party application be
    > best?

    Writing the code is probably near-trivial. Making the decisions about
    how best to represent each field in the target structure is a human
    intellectual activity and no computer application is going to help
    unless both database designer and Schema designer have been working
    to one of the de jure standards like ISO 11179 or one of the de facto
    commercial standards provided by Microsoft, RosettaNet, etc.

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/
    Peter Flynn, Nov 29, 2005

    Thanks Peter.

    No, the Schema has not been designed for the table, this is a bespoke
    in-house system. However, it is easy for me to decide "what goes
    where"; I was really wondering whether a third-party app like the
    Altova suite would be worthwhile investigating or whether the code is
    indeed "near-trivial".

    I will look at the URL in your sig too.

    Thanks again.
    , Nov 30, 2005
  4. spiff Guest

    Hi!

    MapForce from Altova could do the task for you.

    Although the plain mapping is not so difficult in your case it takes a
    while to put all things together. Reading the database, maybe encoding
    issues, writing the xml, validating ...

    Regards
    spiff, Nov 30, 2005