newbie read.scan (?) question

Bruce D'Arcus

Hi,

I'm trying to get my feet wet with Ruby by tackling a manageable, but
real, issue I'd like to solve.

I'm an academic, and subscribe to some RSS feeds of journals I read.
However, the feeds are really bad, and only contain lists of authors
and titles (with no markup), and links to the issue urls.

So, I want a script that takes those feeds, goes to the issue pages,
grabs the links for the articles, and then from there extracts author
and title information.

For some reason I don't understand, the below fragment all works,
except for the author attribute is always blank. The problem is not
with my regular expression pattern.

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Bruce

# journals is an array of rss feed urls and titles
journals.each do |journal|
open(journal[1]) do |http|
response = http.read
result = RSS::parser.parse(response, false)

# grab first issue url listed from each journal
issue_url = result.items[0].link

# regular expression patterns to use below
article_page = /<a href="(.*?)">Article Description<\/a>/
title_match = /<span class="article-title">(.*?)<\/span>/
author_match = /<strong>Author:<\/strong><\/td><td
class="rightcol">(.*?)</

articles = open(issue_url)
# find each article url by screen-scraping
articles.read.scan(article_page).each do |url|
article_url = "#{base_url}#{url}"
open(article_url) do |article|
# screen-scrap for article author and title
title = article.read.scan(title_match)
# for whatever reason, author never returns anything
author = article.read.scan(author_match)
# create new article object
list.append(Article.new(title, author, article_url))
end
end
end
end

Pit Capitain

Bruce said:
For some reason I don't understand, the below fragment all works,
except for the author attribute is always blank. The problem is not
with my regular expression pattern.

Could someone explain what I'm doing wrong?

Hi Bruce,

I don't know which libraries you're using, but could it be that you can
only read once from article, like reading from a file?

Instead of
open(article_url) do |article|
# screen-scrap for article author and title
title = article.read.scan(title_match)
# for whatever reason, author never returns anything
author = article.read.scan(author_match)

try something like

open(article_url) do |article|
# screen-scrap for article author and title
article_text = article.read
title = article_text.scan(title_match)
author = article_text.scan(author_match)

HTH

Regards,
Pit

Dominik Bathon

article is a stream and you try to read it twice, this doesn't work like
you think. I guess the 2nd article.read just returns "", so "".scan(...)
returns nothing.
Try the following:
articles.read.scan(article_page).each do |url|
article_url = "#{base_url}#{url}"
open(article_url) do |article| articletxt=article.read
# screen-scrap for article author and title
title = articletxt.scan(title_match)
# for whatever reason, author never returns anything
author = articletxt.scan(author_match)
# create new article object
list.append(Article.new(title, author, article_url))
end
end

Dominik

Bruce D'Arcus

Yes, that solved the problem. I had a feeling it was something pretty
simple.

Thanks!

Bruce

Bruce D'Arcus

One followup.

Why if I dump my list of article objects to YAML, do I end up with
this:

- !ruby/object:Article
author:
-
- "Hovorka, Alice J."
title:
-
- "The (Re) Production of Gendered Positionality in Botswana's
Commercial Urban
Agriculture Sector"
url:
http://journals.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/sciserv.pl?collection=journals&amp;journal=00045608

I'm referring to the fact that article and title content aren't
represented the same as url (which is what I was expecting).

I have these two classes:

class Article

include Journals

attr_reader :title, :author, :description, :url
def initialize(title, author, url)
@title = title
@author = author
@url = url
end

def to_s
"#@title, #@author"
end

def abstract
#
end

def refer
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL) + "/" +
@url + "&form=refer&file=file.txt"
end

def pdf
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL) + "/" +
@url + "&form=pdf&file=file.pdf"
end
end

class Articles
#
attr_reader :articles

def initialize
@articles = Array.new
end

def append(article)
@articles.push(article)
self
end

def [](index)
@articles[index]
end
end

.... and then:

list = Articles.new

... and at the end:

File.open("articles.yaml", "w") {|f| YAML.dump(list.articles, f)}

Or is everything fine?

Bruce

Ghislain Mary

Hi,

Bruce D'Arcus a écrit :
Why if I dump my list of article objects to YAML, do I end up with
this:

- !ruby/object:Article
author:
-
- "Hovorka, Alice J."
title:
-
- "The (Re) Production of Gendered Positionality in Botswana's
Commercial Urban
Agriculture Sector"
url:
http://journals.ohiolink.edu/cgi-bin/sciserv.pl?collection=journals&amp;journal=00045608

I'm referring to the fact that article and title content aren't
represented the same as url (which is what I was expecting).

Because your author and title probably aren't strings as you expect them
to be but rather arrays. You should try to puts @title.inspect somewhere
to see what it is.
[...]

Why create an Article class and an Articles class? You could make all
the content of your Articles class also content of the Article class but
at the class level instead of the instance level. So you just have to
transform your @articles variable into @@articles and define your append
and [] methods as self.append and self.[].

An other thing: I don't think you need to use
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL). You could simply use Journals::BASE_URL.

HTH

Ghislain

Bruce D'Arcus

Ghislain said:
Because your author and title probably aren't strings as you expect them
to be but rather arrays.

Ah, right. Using scan returns an array. On this ...
[...]

Because I'm *real* newbie! My only programming background is with
XSLT. So I'm trying to also understand basic OO design in this
example.
You could make all
the content of your Articles class also content of the Article class but
at the class level instead of the instance level. So you just have to
transform your @articles variable into @@articles and define your append
and [] methods as self.append and self.[].

Can you give me an abbreviated example of how to do actually do this?
For example, how do I define @@articles under the Article class, and
how would I then define the append method there.
An other thing: I don't think you need to use
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL). You could simply use Journals::BASE_URL.

Ah thanks. It took me awhile just to get that far!

Bruce

Ghislain Mary

Bruce D'Arcus a écrit :
Because I'm *real* newbie! My only programming background is with
XSLT. So I'm trying to also understand basic OO design in this
example.

So welcome into the Ruby community ;-)
I'm still considering myself as a newby too, and I don't often reply to
posts on this list because I often think I am not able to contribute in
a good way to the discussions. But I learn a lot by reading what is
happening here :)
Can you give me an abbreviated example of how to do actually do this?
For example, how do I define @@articles under the Article class, and
how would I then define the append method there.

You could do something like:

class Article

include Journals

attr_reader :title, :author, :description, :url

# Create the Array containing the articles.
@@articles = Array.new

def initialize(title, author, url)
@title, @author, @url = title, author, url

# Add the new Article to the articles array.
@@articles << self
end

def to_s
"#@title, #@author"
end

def refer
Journals::BASE_URL + "/" + @url + "&form=refer&file=file.txt"
end

def pdf
Journals::BASE_URL + "/" + @url + "&form=pdf&file=file.pdf"
end

# Add a class method to get an Article by its index in the @@articles
Array.
def self.[](index)
@@articles[index]
end

# Add a method to get the number of articles.
# Call it how you want it to be called.
def self.count
@@articles.size
end

end

Good luck,

Ghislain

Ghislain Mary

Oh... I was forgetting.

You don't even need an append method anymore since when you create a new
Article it is automatically pushed into the @@articles Array.

Ghislain

Brian Schröder

=20
=20
Ghislain Mary wrote:
=20
Because your author and title probably aren't strings as you expect the= m
to be but rather arrays.
=20
Ah, right. Using scan returns an array. On this ...
=20
I have these two classes:

class Article

include Journals

attr_reader :title, :author, :description, :url
def initialize(title, author, url)
@title =3D title
@author =3D author
@url =3D url
end

def to_s
"#@title, #@author"
end

def abstract
#
end

def refer
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL) + "/" +
@url + "&form=3Drefer&file=3Dfile.txt"
end

def pdf
Journals::const_get:)BASE_URL) + "/" +
@url + "&form=3Dpdf&file=3Dfile.pdf"
end
end

class Articles
#
attr_reader :articles

def initialize
@articles =3D Array.new
[...]

I have not followed this thread in depth, but I think it is a good
idea to distinguish between a set of articles and an article. I don't
see how you would benefit from mixing these two. If I understand the
proposal correctly, you would no longer be able to maintain two
independent sets of articles, because the ArticleSet would be part of
the article class.

Anyhow, here is how to define a class variable and class methods.

class Klass
@@foo =3D []

def self.add(bar)
@@foo << bar
end

def self.foo
@@foo
end
end

Klass.add(1)
Klass.add(2)
p Klass.foo

good luck with ruby,

Brian

--=20
http://ruby.brian-schroeder.de/

Bruce D'Arcus

OK, thanks!

And now how do I then access the @@articles array? If before I had:

list = Articles.new

... what would be the equivalent here?

Bruce

Bruce D'Arcus

Brian said:
Anyhow, here is how to define a class variable and class methods.

class Klass
@@foo = []

def self.add(bar)
@@foo << bar
end

def self.foo
@@foo
end
end

Klass.add(1)
Klass.add(2)
p Klass.foo

OK, am struggling with translating this to my example. Here's what
I've done:

articles.read.scan(article_page).each do |url|
article_url = "#{base_url}#{url}"
open(article_url) do |article|
article_text = article.read
title = article_text.scan(title_match).to_s
author = article_text.scan(author_match).to_s
puts "loading #{title} ...\n"
a = Article.new(title, author, article_url)
a.add
end

.... and then:

File.open("articles.yaml", "w") {|f| YAML.dump(p Article.articles, f)}

But I get a "undefined method `add'" error. I have that part of the
class defined like so:

class Article
include Journals

@@articles = []

attr_reader :title, :author, :url

def initialize(title, author, url)
@title = title
@author = author
@url = url
end

def self.add(article)
@@articles << article
end

def self.articles
@@article
end

good luck with ruby,

Thanks!

Bruce

Ghislain Mary

Bruce D'Arcus a écrit :
OK, thanks!

And now how do I then access the @@articles array? If before I had:

list = Articles.new

... what would be the equivalent here?

You can define the following:

class Article

def self.articles
@@articles
end

end

But in fact, as Brian said, this may not be a good idea to store the
articles in the Article class. This depends on the fact whether you want
to be able to store several groups of articles or only one. I hadn't
think of it because of the way you asked it. I undestood that you were
only handling one group of articles, but maybe that's not the case.
However, it's a good situation to learn a little about class variables
and class methods ;-)

Ghislain

Bruce D'Arcus

Brian said:
I have not followed this thread in depth, but I think it is a good
idea to distinguish between a set of articles and an article. I don't
see how you would benefit from mixing these two. If I understand the
proposal correctly, you would no longer be able to maintain two
independent sets of articles, because the ArticleSet would be part of
the article class.

And actually, I guess the bigger question is how you would deal with
this then? Are you saying I was on the right track originally with my
Articles class? Or would there be some other approach?

Bruce

ES

Le 6/6/2005 said:
Brian said:
Anyhow, here is how to define a class variable and class methods.

class Klass
@@foo =3D []

def self.add(bar)
@@foo << bar
end

def self.foo
@@foo
end
end

Klass.add(1)
Klass.add(2)
p Klass.foo

OK, am struggling with translating this to my example. Here's what
I've done:

articles.read.scan(article_page).each do |url|
article_url =3D "#{base_url}#{url}"
open(article_url) do |article|
article_text =3D article.read
title =3D article_text.scan(title_match).to_s
author =3D article_text.scan(author_match).to_s
puts "loading #{title} ...\n"
a =3D Article.new(title, author, article_url)
a.add
end

add is a class method (see the definition of self.add, which is the
same as saying Article.add), so you would want to call it like

Article.add a # Need to pass the new article in.

@@articles =3D []

attr_reader :title, :author, :url

def initialize(title, author, url)
@title =3D title
@author =3D author
@url =3D url
end

def self.add(article)
@@articles << article
end

def self.articles
@@article
end

good luck with ruby,

Thanks!

Bruce

Brian Schröder

=20
=20
Brian Schr=F6der wrote:
=20
=20
And actually, I guess the bigger question is how you would deal with
this then? Are you saying I was on the right track originally with my
Articles class? Or would there be some other approach?
=20
Bruce
=20
=20

Yes, I'd say you were on the right track. Even if you by now only use
one set of articles (You called this class Articles) I'd say it is
cleaner to have an explicit class and its more extensible than having
the Article class contain all its instances.

regards,