NEWBIE-"RedirectFromLoginPage"

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Rudy, Dec 10, 2004.

  1. Rudy

    Rudy Guest

    Hello all,

    Trying to make a login page to a website. However I don't the user to be
    able to set a password, I want to control the password for everbody, and
    change it weekly. Any way, I have found alot of docs on Form Authentication
    to be used as a login page. But they all are a little diffrent, and always
    cover the highlights. I would love to see something that takes me from point
    A to Point B. Anyway's, I have been making some progress, although slower
    than I would like. So here is a snippet of my code for my login button.
    Private Sub btnLogIn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
    System.EventArgs) Handles btnLogIn.Click
    ' Server.Transfer("main.aspx") used to go to main page
    Session("User Name") = txtUN.Text
    Session("Password") = txtPW.Text

    FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUN.Text, False)
    End Sub

    And here is my web config code
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
    <configuration>

    <location path="ProtectMe.aspx">
    <system.web>
    <authorization>
    <deny users="?"/>
    </authorization>
    </system.web>
    </location>

    <system.web>

    <httpHandlers>
    <add verb="*" path="Users.xml"
    type="System.Web.HttpForbiddenHandler"/>
    </httpHandlers>

    <authentication mode="Forms">
    <forms name="ImsApp"
    loginUrl="localhost/mmgims/Login1.aspx" protection="all"/>

    </forms>
    </authentication>

    </system.web>
    </configuration>
    It is my understanding that the redirectfromloginpage should take me to the
    login page if the password or User name is wrong. But this is what I get for
    an error

    dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
    temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that
    it is spelled correctly.

    Requested Url: /mmgims/default.aspx

    I don't have a default page, I have the login page, and the main page which
    would be my home page. Again, I been taking a little bit of info from
    everywhaere.

    Any advise would be great!!!

    Thanks to all!!!

    Rudy

    Rudy, Dec 10, 2004

  2. Hi Rudy

    The method RedirectFromLoginPage() redirects to default.aspx. ALWAYS!
    What you need to do is set the FormsAuth Cookie by using the SetAuthCookie()
    method
    and force the redirect by using Response.Redirect(...).

    --
    Daniel Fisher(lennybacon)
    MCP ASP.NET C#

    Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\), Dec 13, 2004