NEWBIE-"RedirectFromLoginPage"

Rudy

Hello all,

Trying to make a login page to a website. However I don't the user to be
able to set a password, I want to control the password for everbody, and
change it weekly. Any way, I have found alot of docs on Form Authentication
to be used as a login page. But they all are a little diffrent, and always
cover the highlights. I would love to see something that takes me from point
A to Point B. Anyway's, I have been making some progress, although slower
than I would like. So here is a snippet of my code for my login button.
Private Sub btnLogIn_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles btnLogIn.Click
' Server.Transfer("main.aspx") used to go to main page
Session("User Name") = txtUN.Text
Session("Password") = txtPW.Text

FormsAuthentication.RedirectFromLoginPage(txtUN.Text, False)
End Sub

And here is my web config code
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<configuration>

<location path="ProtectMe.aspx">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

<system.web>

<httpHandlers>
<add verb="*" path="Users.xml"
type="System.Web.HttpForbiddenHandler"/>
</httpHandlers>

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="ImsApp"
loginUrl="localhost/mmgims/Login1.aspx" protection="all"/>

</forms>
</authentication>

</system.web>
</configuration>
It is my understanding that the redirectfromloginpage should take me to the
login page if the password or User name is wrong. But this is what I get for
an error

dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is
temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that
it is spelled correctly.

Requested Url: /mmgims/default.aspx

I don't have a default page, I have the login page, and the main page which
would be my home page. Again, I been taking a little bit of info from
everywhaere.

Any advise would be great!!!

Thanks to all!!!

Rudy

Daniel Fisher\(lennybacon\)

Hi Rudy

The method RedirectFromLoginPage() redirects to default.aspx. ALWAYS!
What you need to do is set the FormsAuth Cookie by using the SetAuthCookie()
method
and force the redirect by using Response.Redirect(...).